IGNORED

surveillance capitalism - good or whack

dingformung

surveillance capitalism  

35 members have voted

1. 1. is it any good

On 3/31/2021 at 3:38 AM, cyanobacteria said:

WTAF. And despite the continued unsavory press around conditions, and this battle in Alabama, their share price climbs and climbs. 

I wonder if Bezos had a shit in a bag when he was working out in the shed. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shocked but not surprised about the recent news on spyware software (Pegasus) sold by a private company. And sold to governments (as far as we can tell at this point in time). Also shouldn't be surprised these techniques originate from Israeli Intelligence agencies.

Welcome to the digital world, I guess.

*looks at mobile phone with a small sense of fear*

NSO Group manufactures and sells to governments advanced spyware, branded as Pegasus, that can secretly infect a mobile phone and harvest its information. Emails, texts, contact books, location data, photos and videos can all be extracted, and a phone’s microphone and camera can be activated to covertly record the user.

The consortium analysed a leaked dataset of 50,000 phone numbers that, it is believed, were identified as belonging to persons of interest to NSO’s customers. Forensic analysis of a sample of the mobile phones found dozens of cases of successful and attempted Pegasus infections.

NSO Group says it takes ethical considerations seriously, is regulated by the export control regimes of Israel, Cyprus and Bulgaria and only sells to vetted government clients. But its customers have included repressive regimes, including Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Azerbaijan.

NSO Group said in a series of statements that it rejected “false claims” about the company and its clients, and said it did not have visibility over its clients use of Pegasus spyware. It said it only sold the software to vetted government clients, and that its technology had helped to prevent terrorism and serious crime.

Following the launch of the Pegasus project, Shalev Hulio, the founder and chief executive of NSO, said he continued to dispute that the leaked data “has any relevance to NSO”, but added that he was “very concerned” about the reports and promised to investigate them all. “We understand that in some circumstances our customers might misuse the system,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/20/pegasus-project-turns-spotlight-on-spyware-firm-nso-ties-to-israeli-state

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/jul/19/edward-snowden-calls-spyware-trade-ban-pegasus-revelations

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 11:27 AM, MaartenVC said:

attention citizen, please remove all electronic devices from your person and travel to me discretely, put on generic black clothes and a ski mask, bring a baseball bat and smash my display screens and cameras, spraypaint me, slash my tires and knock me over, put me out of my misery

Edited by ilqx hermolia xpli
  • Like 2

^ this shit just makes me miserable as fuck, I don't want it to, but there it is. Even with my sparse internet diet I can't avoid it.

if it's just an "art installation to provoke" or if it's a legit prototype, same shit. We know where this is going.

I know why investments in AI and robotics are so hot right now. The sci-fi or "dystopian near future" movies were a wet dream and a goal. The paths are converging.

It makes me miserable and angry. Humanity is trash.

I hope I'm overreacting, but I know I'm not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cichlisuite said:

^ this shit just makes me miserable as fuck, I don't want it to, but there it is. Even with my sparse internet diet I can't avoid it.

if it's just an "art installation to provoke" or if it's a legit prototype, same shit. We know where this is going.

I know why investments in AI and robotics are so hot right now. The sci-fi or "dystopian near future" movies were a wet dream and a goal. The paths are converging.

It makes me miserable and angry. Humanity is trash.

I hope I'm overreacting, but I know I'm not.

in the US in many parking lots they now have these robots except they dont talk and they dont move around. theyre solar panel surveillance systems with cameras. they WILL come.

49 minutes ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

in the US in many parking lots they now have these robots except they dont talk and they dont move around. theyre solar panel surveillance systems with cameras. they WILL come.

they will come with darkness- and wall-penetrating cameras, targeting mechanisms and tasers and guns, fast "thinking", swift and agile movement, armored chassis, funded by tax payer money, so if we destroy them, we will pay for new replacements and thrown into jail. Everywhere miserable labor peoples living paycheck to paycheck with no prosperity or hope. Everyone will want to be rich: actors, models, but the rich will only be seen on TVs, living far away from our eyes, traveling in private aircraft city-to-city, continent-to-continent, only in high rises, never on the dirty streets. Resorts sparse and unreachable, nature destroyed, artificial food in cubes... yes, future!

• Sad 1
  • Farnsworth 2

“When we live in an information environment that is full of angry, hateful, polarizing content, it erodes our civic trust, it erodes our faith in each other, it erodes our ability to want to care for each other. The version of Facebook that exists today is tearing our societies apart and causing ethnic violence around the world,” she told CBS.

Facebook “is tearing our societies apart,” whistleblower says in interview (Ars Technica)

• Like 3