IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

1 hour ago, gnarlybog said:

While I still enjoy SIGN, I find it frustrating that nothing hits quite as hard as that first livestream listen? it felt like 25 minutes of going 'woahhh'!
Like every album release, it forced me to revisit the previous NTS Sessions which I once found spotty and impenetrable. Some more gems for sure, but thats how it goes with autechre.

Yea fair point but it’s hard to replicate the experience of a first listen. For me:

1. warp streaming event: “holy shit this is transcendent! I can’t even comprehend what I’m hearing!”

2. Second full playthrough: “ok I maybe overreacted, it’s good but I should tone down my inner Autechre fanboy and listen more objectively. Not as beat-forward as I was hoping.”

3rd listen on headphones: “godamn these dudes are aliens, this is so, so good. Th Red a is completely fucking me up. Best Ae album since LP 5.” 

and that’s still where I’m at with it. I guess what I’m saying is it’s normal to re-evaluate albums over time but it’s tough to hold it to the standard of the first listen. That experience is always unique.

Edited by Friendly Stranger
  • Like 3

...so, I confirm that I like the graphics of sign, especially now that I see it printed, only I say that warp could invest a few pounds more on the cardboard. I don't think Autechre are a commercial gamble, there should be all the guarantees for the sold out, and a slightly thicker cardboard shouldn't lead to bankruptcy.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, modey said:

Nah, they changed their minds. Rob and Sean got sick of Wurstwasser complaining 

I'm not only complaining. And seriously, this is not funny.

32 minutes ago, Wurstwasser said:

I have nothing against your disappointment with Sign, indeed, having a voice out of the chorus avoids turning the forum into a celebration exercise, but, let me say, that was not an aggressive post

20 hours ago, jellied cope said:

is this from their site?

From Japanese label that releases Warp https://www.beatink.com/user_data/warp2020.php

31 minutes ago, Wurstwasser said:

Another sceptic bullied away for his audacity!

Nice job, fellow subforuminians

8 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

I have nothing against your disappointment with Sign, indeed, having a voice out of the chorus avoids turning the forum into a celebration exercise, but, let me say, that was not an aggressive post

I read now the previous post ... yes, that was more aggressive, but I hope not enough to become a serious thing

8 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

to the right of Sign I see a series of question marks, and I don't think it's a coincidence if the number of question marks that substitute the author is 7

The thing is there's nobody 7-lettered in Warp roster (Battles, Seefeel) that is prominent enough to be hidden like that. Coincidentally, the album title is 4 letters as was SIGN. So... it could a deliberate subtraction of one letter to not be decoded so easily.

Discussed here: 

• Thanks 2
  • Farnsworth 1

Finally got round to listening to SIGN. Not a big fan of the Vangelis-esque sound design that's on a lot of it but there are some really beautiful moments. Be interesting to see how my perception changes over time, as it inevitably will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dingformung said:

What if it doesn't? What if your perception never changes again?

That would be a novel development in and of itself, I suppose.

• Like 2

Liked it, is obviously so different from last releases. It reminded me of Oversteps as it's lush and dense, but also has that unique ae minimalist style like au14. Then Metaz form8 hits you with that lysergic ambiental lullaby, sure one of my favs here. Psin AM and sch.mefd2 are also nice standouts. You can notice the experience through years on this work, just to put in prespective for example with Tri Repetae yet so familiar and different at same time.

ty Rob & Sean for this beautiful album.

Edited by Diurn
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Draft78 said:

...so, I confirm that I like the graphics of sign, especially now that I see it printed, only I say that warp could invest a few pounds more on the cardboard. I don't think Autechre are a commercial gamble, there should be all the guarantees for the sold out, and a slightly thicker cardboard shouldn't lead to bankruptcy.

Yes, even the pictures of the artwork online look a lot better than the digital representation on the Ae Store & Warp. Having the texture of the sleeve visible makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

My live broadcast take on psin AM was the victory exposition theme of a video game immediately after defeating the big bad, a bit like talking to Professor Oak after beating the elite 4 or something along those lines.

Today I'm imagining some grim mechanised sword & sandal duel in a low gravity airless setting like the Moon. Where your exertions are committed to and you probably know you are going to unavoidably cop a cut seconds before the blade hits (akin to operating remotely with seconds delay), yet you still battle on manfully in a slo-mo tableau fight to the death. Then after the battle, the mortally wounded final bearer of humanity feels grace and steps into the enlightened r cazt finale. We're a finite speck in this colossal expanse but we were something to cherish and acquitted ourselves well.

• Like 1

Getting into this in a similar way to Oversteps. Also get the same chilled, spacey, mildly melancholic emotions. Excellent and appreciated change from pace from Team AE.

• Like 3

Just a couple more here–the brighter spot on the right side of these is the andromeda galaxy. r cazt-style...

Jules_Autechre_Astro-130.thumb.jpg.e92f59adc3420df91523bf2c98471882.jpg 

Jules_Autechre_Astro-121.thumb.jpg.0fa7448a2f0da3892bddee23397f20b2.jpg 

SJ_S2_Comp.jpg

Edited by jules
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 6

I love stargazing.

Currently live 3 miles away from a major RAF base which has floodlights on all night so its a bit tricky to get decent vision... but I *really* hope our planned move goes ahead in the new year and we will end up with Dartmoor national park on our doorstep.  Darksky heaven

25 minutes ago, auxien said:

those are so nice jules! would love to know what kind of stuff goes into getting those kinds of shots man

Thanks so much! We had 2 rigs set up with 31 mp 5D Mark IVs. One had a star tracking gps piece on the mount. So you basically snap a grid to the north star and that device tracks along the same speed as the rotation of the earth. That allows you to just keep taking photo after photo and get long exposure shots which you compile later and get what you see here. After you are affixed to the north star, you can essentially shoot anything you want to focus on and the camera will just follow along. The other shot with the rings is just a static mount pointing at the north star taking a photo every minute or so and that is when you. get the star trails as the earth rotates. It's pretty cool shit - if you can get to a remote place with very little light pollution, you can get milky way and some deep space stuff as well.

• Like 3

@jules I've been watching those video while esc desc was playing loud on my stereo and they were mesmerizing :psyduck:

I'm taking advantage of the missus being outside to give SIGN a listen on our stereo and it's really something else imo. When I listened to si00 it was as if the drum kicks were singing something to me :music:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jules said:

I have a couple small videos attached here, they are pretty sick. Also, I don't want to hijack this thread too much...

SJ_S2_4k-TL_2.mov

SJ_S2_4k_SL_2.mov

Damn, okay someone needs to do a video for r cazt with this imagery ?

• Like 1