IGNORED

newbound

I also have problem with the mix. The "drums" are disconnected from the rest and does not sit very well in it.

imo, the stumbling 'drums' are correctly disconnected from the rest of the track. this disjoyment is the main reason that i felt the ambiguous melody and the whole track as more dystopian than otherwise. also, the track ends with those close and stumbling drums leaving us with 'here and now' to wait what's coming to us without 'there and then' (the known, the wanted, the beautiful melody).

I also have problem with the mix. The "drums" are disconnected from the rest and does not sit very well in it.

imo, the stumbling 'drums' are correctly disconnected from the rest of the track. this disjoyment is the main reason that i felt the ambiguous melody and the whole track as more dystopian than otherwise. also, the track ends with those close and stumbling drums leaving us with 'here and now' to wait what's coming to us without 'there and then' (the known, the wanted, the beautiful melody).

Yes, it is subjective. Interesting points.

• 8 months later...

The more I listen to this, the more it reminds me of a less psychotic, more resolved/melancholic st epreo.

Currently sharing top list of recent autechre together with that dilankex remix

Guest MaartenWesselius

Similar to what's said in a comment above, this is one of those Autechre tracks where they try to impress with a loud, heavily reverberated and overly present synth melody. Very heavy and anti-subtle. Often this doesn't work for me, it doesn't in this case. In terms of development, it seems to lack purpose - as if they could've easily made a different track with the same elements and it wouldn't matter much.

Edited by MaartenWesselius

• 6 years later...

So this is one of my fave Ae's track, I think already posted it somewhere.

that's the magic done by Rob and Sean, for me it sounds like a cosmic lament or similar..

Edited by Diurn
  • Like 1

The same time L-event was released I had read a collection of short stories by Arthur C Clarke, one was called Sunjammer (also known as The Wind From The Sun) and is about a yacht race between solar sail spacecraft. That's what I see/feel every time I hear this track.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 4

I love this track, I like how it sort of bring light after the 3 previous dark-weird-spooky ones

1 hour ago, beerwolf said:

a yacht race between solar sail spacecraft.

yeah nice, I didn't read those stories but I can imagine the picture. - now listening newbound thinking of solar sail spacecraft and it matches well :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2022 at 8:00 PM, Diurn said:

that's the magic done by Rob and Sean, for me it sounds like a cosmic lament or similar..

My minds eye conjures up something like this:

RichCompetentBluewhale-size_restricted.g

I get similar (albeit old school WW2-era splosions) vibes with 

• Like 2

On 10/2/2015 at 4:21 AM, Rotwang said:

Agreed.

Thirded. My least favourite track on this EP, honestly. But it is one of my favourite EPs of theirs.

On 6/27/2022 at 1:10 PM, hello spiral said:

iirc from the AAA, this is a rob solo?

Definitely recall something about M39 Diffain I think - Rob saying it was made from rain samples in Berlin?

Jesus the amount of useless trivia in my head.

4 hours ago, EXTRASUPER81 said:

You're suffering from the same autechre trivia affliction 

Most definitely. ?

We were both wrong tho lol:

RB: "It took a while to make that track, because it was made up of disparate elements. It was less of the machine-building and a lot of found sounds, a lot of field recordings going into it – rain, New York, bits of city life, bits of weather, direct recordings of rain on certain objects mic'd-up – things like that. Oddly enough, I remember walking into town with it on my headphones, demoing it to see where it's going next. As it happened, I was on my way to an Untold gig. None of my friends could make it, and I basically got pissed and listened to Untold on my own and it was brilliant, even though I was this kind of sad dickhead at the back of the club with some Red Stripe having a great time and being all ears. I totally remember walking in the rain with it on headphones to a gig. It was just the best night, because I got to check this track out in the rain, [and] it was recorded using bits of rain… I went for a long, late-night walk listening to a nearly-finished version, went home and put the final touches to it, and then it was done. I think it's a good one for depth and scapes, just listening on headphones and being isolated with a weather pattern nearby."

https://thequietus.com/articles/13899-autechre-interview-exai-l-event

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

check out the big brain on beerwolf!

Got the rest of the week off and its a beautiful misty (from a rare day of rain yesterday) morning, with the sun slowly burning through. And I decided, from a choice of an endless universe of music to play Newbound first. Wise choice mofo.

Set sail on the solar winds  ☀️⛵

C'mon Cichli....

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1