IGNORED

The Obligatory iPhone 7/Apple Watch "Series 2" Thread

Joyrex

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why in gods name would you get rid of the 3.5mm jack

god, i just fucking hate this company with all of my heart, it's like they do everything to make computing less open, less universal, and more dumbed down and more corporate dependent. there's like a whole generation of people now dependent on their shit and who consider it normal and acceptable. just fucking sad.

it's *more* dumbed down without a 3.5 jack? possibly the dumbest, most fragile connection port ever? it outdated when they included it in the ipod. they had made it clear that the jack was inhibiting both the thinness battle and the waterproofing battle. I think I have plugged headphones into that jack on my iphone about twice anyway. Any time i play music from the phone (gym, car, travel speaker) its always wireless. Its not as tho this is an audiophile device to plug your grados in it or whatever. thats what foobar and an external DAC headphone amp is for hurr durr

lol come on dude as if the 3.5 mm jack = free computing

yeah let's make the phone even thinner and more bendable that worked out well. also i use my headphones on the train literally every day of my life, everyone i see is using the headphone jack on their phone. this is the most anti consumer thing i've seen apple do.

I'm pissed about the removal of the headphone jack.

I'm pissed that you can't  listen to music through headphones and charge your phone at the same time.

I'm stoked about 256 gigabytes of storage

I am extremely doubtful that the new earbuds will take off, they aren't even connected. One of them will go missing all the time. 

Oh and the new camera is kinda cool, especially the enhanced zooming capability and improved night time picture-taking.if 

if 32 gb costs $649 256 gb must be at least $1000, which just seems excessive to spend on a mobile device with ultimately a small screen. just bring back the wireless ipod classic which i can only listen to on one airpod as i lost the other one & the one i have doesn't work as it isn't paired up, i just want to look like someone out of star trek

You know what I hate more than press conferences? People's extreme reactions to the products that are shown. It's a phone. It's not the cure for cancer. It's a fucking phone. Yeah, they removed the minijack to make the phone thinner and if you don't like it then go buy something else. It's not like you're trapped for life in the Apple eco system because you once owned an Apple product. I love some of Apple's products and there are some products that make me go, "hm...?" but luckily, I don't care about those products because why would I?

I've never owned an Apple device in my life, here's a hint, if this new thing annoys you, you don't have to buy it.

This.

You know what I hate more than press conferences? People's extreme reactions to the products that are shown. It's a phone. It's not the cure for cancer. It's a fucking phone. Yeah, they removed the minijack to make the phone thinner and if you don't like it then go buy something else. It's not like you're trapped for life in the Apple eco system because you once owned an Apple product. I love some of Apple's products and there are some products that make me go, "hm...?" but luckily, I don't care about those products because why would I?

I've never owned an Apple device in my life, here's a hint, if this new thing annoys you, you don't have to buy it.

This.

Yeah I agree tbh but it's still kinda galling because I will get to this eventually and if this becomes a permanent thing I'll have to deal with the headache of switching to android and then being in that fish out of water place.

Although atm my 4s is still going strong so I'm hoping this is a crash and burn situation and they backpedal with the next one.

I'm still waiting for an ssd ipod classic tbh, fuck this phone listening business. (not that that will ever happen, the consumers have spoken)

This.

i think its worth caring about a tad, as its setting a model, mold, precipice which other companies will now follow, whether you like it or not, which is what happened with the first iphone. 

its just annoying apple presumes everyone can afford their stuff & forcing people, whether they buy their products or not it doesn't matter as it is definitely going to have a ripple effect,

to live in a world like the one portrayed in films such as http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1798709/ is that their aim? 

also it does't really set a good example, which most other companies are now going to do & some have started already,  if people need to charge their stuff all the time, now also headphones, amongst all the countless stuff which will start to go wireless, on an environmental front, but they have never really been a company which cares about that 

the other companies aren't going to follow suit (at least not in the short term), apple has it's own proprietary connector, everyone else is moving to USB-C, and apple's arguments for ditching the jack are nonsense (size & waterproofing ability mostly, there are plenty of really thin devices ** (most phones are too thin and light for me as it is, they certainly don't need to get any thinner), and waterproof devices that have them). 

** even laptops can get thinner than some phones and still have a headphone jack: http://www.theverge.com/video/2016/9/2/12774022/acer-swift-7-thinnest-laptop-ever

This.

Yeah I agree tbh but it's still kinda galling because I will get to this eventually and if this becomes a permanent thing I'll have to deal with the headache of switching to android and then being in that fish out of water place.

Although atm my 4s is still going strong so I'm hoping this is a crash and burn situation and they backpedal with the next one.

I'm still waiting for an ssd ipod classic tbh, fuck this phone listening business. (not that that will ever happen, the consumers have spoken)

I like to express my opinion(s) in a loud and fashionable manner.

nah they won't.. the only question is, for how many future iPhone generations will they include the lightning/minijack adapter.

as for your 4S, that's commendable! Mine is certainly not going strong. basically I use it sparingly for messaging, the occasional phone call, music playback and providing a 3G hotspot for my iPad. It's just too slow for everything else... tap... wait ten seconds................. keyboard comes up.............. . .. .  .

and I'm refusing to pay $800 for a device which basically duplicates the iPad but smaller..

Why in gods name would you get rid of the 3.5mm jack

god, i just fucking hate this company with all of my heart, it's like they do everything to make computing less open, less universal, and more dumbed down and more corporate dependent. there's like a whole generation of people now dependent on their shit and who consider it normal and acceptable. just fucking sad.

it's *more* dumbed down without a 3.5 jack? possibly the dumbest, most fragile connection port ever? it outdated when they included it in the ipod. they had made it clear that the jack was inhibiting both the thinness battle and the waterproofing battle. I think I have plugged headphones into that jack on my iphone about twice anyway. Any time i play music from the phone (gym, car, travel speaker) its always wireless. Its not as tho this is an audiophile device to plug your grados in it or whatever. thats what foobar and an external DAC headphone amp is for hurr durr

lol come on dude as if the 3.5 mm jack = free computing

it's the most universal one, there's literally not an audio interface that doesn't have this or similar analog input. where can you plug this lightning bullshit at this point? from now you can't even use your iphone as a simple wired music player connected to a simple amp. and the bigger issue is that this step is making tons of existing headphones more inconvenient to use because you need bulky adapter now.

the fact that this jack is old is a non argument. if they had a better alternative, then sure, i would jump on it, but they offer nothing better, they simply move the dac+amp from the phone to the headphones themselves. it's not analogous to usb flash disks replacing cds and dvd for file transfers, the former are superior in every way. the waterproof argument is bs too, samsung flagship phones are waterproof while retaining this jack. the thinness - it's crap too, you wouldn't dare use that overpriced phone without a cover most probably, so the fact that they shaved off 0.2mm (i think) means nothing.

you're absolutely wrong about iphone (and other flagship phones from major firms for that matter) not being "audiophile", they absolutely are by all objective measures: http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm#measurements.

of course the counterargument "well, no one's forcing you to buy that" is easy to make, but it doesn't really cover what's going on. apple breed a certain type of user that will be very close-minded and dependent on their shit, and will consider their practices normal and acceptable. they are a big enough company to really affect how people see technology and what they expect from it, with moves such as those they're propagating a pretty backward idea of technology, the constant rejection of open-sourceness, compatibility and universality.

it's all a bit meh now innit...i got an iPhone SE a few months ago, wasn't really that excited about it, just time for an upgrade... It basically does the same thing as my previous smartphone but a bit quicker. Same with the 7 I guess... If you're in the upgrade window then great but I doubt many people (other than fanatics) would rush to buy the iPhone 7 if they're not looking already.

Well I went apple in '04 or '05 when I bought a Powerbook with the intention of making electronic music (I was in my early 20's(=dumb) and got it because that's what merzbow and AE used lol)

The powerbook lasted me 10 years before it began to creak with age a bit. Before that I'd had no problem running things from DOS on a PC and still used Windows at work etc. So I wasn't one of those apple fanbois.

But yeah if this is the future of apple products it can fuck right off and I'll switch back to Michaelsoft Binbows.

Guest bitroast

it's all a bit meh now innit...i got an iPhone SE a few months ago, wasn't really that excited about it, just time for an upgrade... It basically does the same thing as my previous smartphone but a bit quicker. Same with the 7 I guess... If you're in the upgrade window then great but I doubt many people (other than fanatics) would rush to buy the iPhone 7 if they're not looking already.

back in my day,... phones will built like bricks and could be thrown against brick walls several times and you could watch them explode and put them back together again and it was really fun and cool cos it was a phone and you could call and text people with it and maybe play snake on it and it was built super strong so you didn't have to worry or treat it like a piece of jewellery or something stupid. now they're literally made out of fine breakable glass and the software updates get shoved in your face every couple months to ensure you phone will eventually be obsolete in a year or two's time and then it will start performing really slowly and be frustrating and probably have a giant smashed screen by this point because the stupid thing is made out of glass. and my music keeps getting confusing and disorganized because even though i turned off apple music, things i haven't put on my iphone keep appearing in the music section randomly and i can't even play them because it needs to be buffered and streamed and i generally have unreliable internet connections when im commuting so i turn that streaming stuff off but it keeps turning itself back on every couple of weeks just to get me diving back into the menus and manually turning everything on and off again to get it working properly even though i did nothing in the first place to trigger the change and holy shit it is so infuriating and annoying. 

:catrage: fuck apple. 

i think i really need to stop complaining about this bullshit and just get myself a boring old brick phone again where the battery doesn't drain after ~2 hours and then also keep a separate ipod classic or something so i can listen to music without having stupid streaming bullshit shoved in my face and lose battery over something stupid like a 1080 high resolution HDR video screen being on all the time just to change what radiohead album i'm listening to. 

The only defense I can muster for this is that the headphone jack is the only thing I've had fail on multiple pricy electronic devices. Still, I'd take my chances with the exploding Note 7 before buying one of these.

tbh..

they are bundling that lightning dongle, right?

this thing may not be pretty, but it does take stress off the headphone cable's connector. I'd rather replace a $9 adapter than repair a headphone cable. For listening on the go, it's not that bad really.

except that dongle is probably going to be $29.99...

The only defense I can muster for this is that the headphone jack is the only thing I've had fail on multiple pricy electronic devices. Still, I'd take my chances with the exploding Note 7 before buying one of these.

You say that, but the one on my phone bust twice (since learned not to connect a pair of earphones with a right angled jack into anything kept in a tight pair of jeans), and the 'fix' is only a couple of quid and just requires a screwdriver - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Samsung-replacement-assembly-headphone/dp/B00D42RXEW

Benefits of a nice modular system :)

Archived