IGNORED

Madlib/ Four Tet - Sound Ancestors

thumbass

on first glance it's a hell fucking yes from me. exactly what I needed.

siri, clear my schedule. I'll be getting high and listening to Madlib all day.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Is it good? Is it good? Is it good?

yes / si / da / oui

I was slightly apprehensive that Kieran's involvement would result in him leaving his fingerprints all over it, but I can't hear it really. not saying at all that I dislike Four Tet, I just feel Madlib does not need any one messing with his style. if anything, perhaps Kieran helped to reign him in a little, as sometimes Madlib has a habit of going to very weird places...and those don't necessarily always work IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, zero said:

yes / si / da / oui

I was slightly apprehensive that Kieran's involvement would result in him leaving his fingerprints all over it, but I can't hear it really. not saying at all that I dislike Four Tet, I just feel Madlib does not need any one messing with his style. if anything, perhaps Kieran helped to reign him in a little, as sometimes Madlib has a habit of going to very weird places...and those don't necessarily always work IMO

i'd personally wish he worked with him again for his jazz projects

• Like 1

I really enjoyed this! The first couple tracks didn't captivate me but it really picks up quickly after that.
Although it didn't start and conclude in a satisfying way the middle of the record is absolutely killer. This has some of the most satisfying instrumentals i have heard from Madlib.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Extralife said:

I only have this and Shades of Blue -- what other stuff would you all recommend?  

Beat Konducta vol 1-2 is probably closest to this new one.

for jazz/funk - check out Stevie by Yesterday's New Quintet. that's all Madlib on there, and a tribute album to Stevie Wonder. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's all recommendable. I like the Quasimoto stuff but it's all good. The guy got a lot of different styles - really fun to explore his discography and I have yet to listen to everything. It's likely that not everything will be up your alley as he has quite the big sound palette

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

some really good tracks + good track-to-track flow for the most part, the only thing that's missing IMO is a "closer", it just kind of ends abruptly.

also spotted some reggae mc/toasting samples which i'm pretty sure are also used in Go Plastic, would have to look up though which tracks in particular.

3 hours ago, Extralife said:

Yeah this is really nice stuff.  Perfect for a Friday afternoon.

I only have this and Shades of Blue -- what other stuff would you all recommend?  

Quasimoto - Yessir Whatever
Yesterdays New Quintet -Angles without Edges
History of the Loop Digga
Madvillainy
Piñata/Bandana

Those just for introduction, there is great stuff to dig much deeper as well

Edited by markedone
  • Thanks 1