IGNORED

Twitch AMA

NewSchoolScience

6 hours ago, Key said:

Still reeling from the disclosure that a whole bunch of Quaristice trax (rale, fol3, fwzE and WNSN) were made using Renoise cause Sean didn't have a proper studio set up at the time.

yeah I spotted that too. it got me in wanting to test this software. now trying the demo version.

about those quaristice tracks : not shure if it was 100% renoise... It could be renoise along with a bunch of third party vst stuff or along with the elektrons...

can't understand his english flow well enough sometimes :happy:

Edited by neurone
  • Like 1

Yeah ofc, In renoise there is some very basic samples inside but nothing special and useful. 
They prob sampled a lot of stuff under that time from the Nord modular/Elektrons etc.. 

This is the same method Aphex did back in the Drukqs days.

Fuck Max! Trackers is the shit!!! ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Key said:

Still reeling from the disclosure that a whole bunch of Quaristice trax (rale, fol3, fwzE and WNSN) were made using Renoise cause Sean didn't have a proper studio set up at the time.

Untitled sounds the way it does (aggro? intense?) because Sean had had a turbulent couple of years beforehand with family deaths and relationship breakdowns.

Some great little pieces of insight again.

53 minutes ago, xox said:

He said that they made some tracks in renoise?!
Which one?

see quote above yours

• Thanks 1

I haven't listened to the second set yet (nor the entirety of the first one), but this is like the exact opposite of "never meet your heroes." I don't know that I ever idolized them, necessarily, but fucking hell have I loved all of their art and respected them for so long now. It's so nice to hear the stories of certain pieces and the small tidbits on how stuff's made, or bits about lost media that never was.

These little outside chats with Sean are so rad.

• Like 4

This is kind of just another random takeaway, even though I'm not even halfway thru the VOD yet.

But it's interesting how he claims that Centipede is his favorite game of all time. I recall in the AAA thread from back in November 2013 that he mentioned DoDonPachi, which is similar in gameplay style, being a shmup. He also had the menu screen from Flashback as his avatar at the time. But now I'm being a gamer geek again.

Props to whomever asked about Wendy Carlos. I only know about her music from her soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange, but it's still damn good.

And his advice to life in general is hard to argue with: "Don't be a dick."

Edited by ambermonke

35 minutes ago, ambermonke said:

This is kind of just another random takeaway, even though I'm not even halfway thru the VOD yet.

But it's interesting how he claims that Centipede is his favorite game of all time. I recall in the AAA thread from back in November 2013 that he mentioned DoDonPachi, which is similar in gameplay style, being a shmup. He also had the menu screen from Flashback as his avatar at the time. But now I'm being a gamer geek again.

Props to whomever asked about Wendy Carlos. I only know about her music from her soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange, but it's still damn good.

And his advice to life in general is hard to argue with: "Don't be a dick."

flashback was friggin dope. i could not come close to beating that game as a kid but loved it anyway

• Thanks 1

I really liked the time he talked about his fever dreams. he sounded a lot like Timothy Leary but it was very relatable. I hope he continues doing these AMAs. Its really interesting. I also like that he takes so much care to answer as much as possible

• Like 1

12 hours ago, neurone said:

yeah I spotted that too. it got me in wanting to test this software. now trying the demo version.

do you have the youtube-timecode when he said that? thats really interesting

49 minutes ago, kausto said:

i could be wrong but i recall he said that he tried to use renoise to do remixes at first (surgeon and b12 remixes)

3:00:17
not b12 but black dog remix though

Edited by kausto

1 hour ago, o00o said:

I really liked the time he talked about his fever dreams. he sounded a lot like Timothy Leary but it was very relatable. I hope he continues doing these AMAs. Its really interesting. I also like that he takes so much care to answer as much as possible

Yes that was my first question asking like "Do ever feel inspired or scared of your own dreams?"

And he went so deep into that time when he was a kid with fever dreams and saw things in different perspective.
That thing changed him..Its not boring at all to hear people talk about dreams in that way. I think its super interesting! 

16 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

This is the bass cover he was talking about :

the covers that this guy did are disorienting: he manages to make the bass behave exactly like an autechre line: the smallest nuance, the subtlest interval, everything reproduced as it is.
In the post "good music like autechre" I had posted all the Ae covers of him a couple of years ago: all amazing, but this fragment from ae_live usa is next level

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

Sorry, don't remember 

one of these days I'll watch the whole ama, finally with subtitles; when I find the point where it is about him, I will post it under the cover on yt. It deserves this. That bassline captures that tune so perfectly that it helps me understand its melodic purpuse.