IGNORED

Chiastic Slide or Confield?

cern

Chiastic Slide vs Confield   

65 members have voted

1. 1. Chiastic Slide or Confield?

• Chiastic Slide
    • Confield

Please think this thru before you voting because it is difficult to choose. 

2 amazing albums in their own way. 
Which one do you prefer as a whole solid and good Autechre album? And why? 

Shoot! ?

Edited by cern

there's no reason to choose. i will not choose. but in 97 i smoked something someone told me was opium but i'm sure it was hash or some mix of the two and Recury took me to the most wonderful comfortable cave i've ever been in. but really i was just pulling all the covers up over my head and going "SHHHHHSSHHHH" to my then girlfriend.

• Like 5
  • Farnsworth 1

This seems like a reasonable place for the random observation that the cover art for Oversteps looks like it should belong to Confield. I always imagine it as being the artwork, really weird, I know.

• Like 1

Difficult question. Both of them aren’t my favourite AE. Tricky albums. But basically what Friendly Stranger said. Cichli and Pule also being favourite tracks. I think I respect/admire Confield more than I enjoy it. If that makes sense…

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2

Chiastic Slide is undoubtedly a classic and one of my favourite Ae albums. Its purported influence being drawn from psilocybin adds to my enjoyment of it and it is really quite unlike many other albums of its time. But the depth and alienness of Confield grows with repeated listens and clearly lays the groundwork for other future favourites like Quaristice, Exai, elseq, NTS Sessions

• Like 5
  • Burger 1

1 hour ago, beerwolf said:

Difficult question. Both of them aren’t my favourite AE. Tricky albums. But basically what Friendly Stranger said. Cichli and Pule also being favourite tracks. I think I respect/admire Confield more than I enjoy it. If that makes sense…

Nah makes sense totally, Confield is just the deepest of 'chre dives and (IMO) one really needs to be in a certain headspace to appreciates it. I went w/ Chaistic cuz it's where it all "clicked," yadayada, &c. and it's a close second favorite to LP5 which if you look behind you is busting thru the fucking drywall.

And Nvane. key nell m88s. The bros squeezed the entire heat death of the universe into the 2nd half, mental

• Like 6

also disappointed in watmm that confield is not winning here. didnt ae themselves somewhat disown the album as not a proper followup to tri reptae?

confield came out when i was in high school. I had been exposed to a good amount of electronic music before but had not encountered anything that challenging yet. it was definitely one where i had to listen to it over and over to even start wrapping my head around it. that moment where the album clicked for me was unlike most any other.  learning that i could go through that kind of process with a piece of music (or any other kind of art) was so fundamental to the rest of my life. 

meanwhile chiastic has some nice beats yeh

• Like 9

don't be disappointed.. Still 16 now including me in the Confield side vs CS 23. 

Confield is better as a whole album (even the kind of miss placed bonus track is a happy surprise)
The thing that makes Chiastic Slide so powerful is that it got a banger opening track with Cipater then Cichli and Recury is also Highlight tracks. 

But anyway is a tough decision that's what's fun with the poll ?

• Like 2

It seems I'm one of few who didn't find Confield difficult at all when I first heard it.  In 2001 I was about two years into ae fandom. My first love was LP5 then I had collected Incunabula, Tri Rep++ and EP7.  I LOVED EP7 and caned it all summer in '01. So when I heard Confield that fall it was exactly what I wanted to hear and made perfect sense to me. Bine and Lentic were a bit challenging I guess but overall I loved the album from the start.

I didn't pick up Chiastic Slide until later on so I guess it suffered from that, since it sounds like most people who voted for it were around when it came out. I can see how it was groundbreaking at the time but I was coming at it backwards. I do really like the album tho, it has strong winter/snow associations for me and I play it a lot this time of year.

I can see comparing the two on the basis that they are both very strong as full-album start-to-finish experiences. Chiastic is more rough around the edges and unified by lots of "crunchy" sounds, while Confield is more of a mixed bag unified by its "organic" qualities. Overall I just find it to be the more colourful and interesting of the two, and has aged better too.

• Like 5