IGNORED

James Holden - Imagine This Is A High Dimensional Space Of All Possibilities

thumbass

Will listen to this but I’m afraid I don’t hear the (YOU ARE UNDER CONTROL OF THE BRAIN INVADERS THEIR LEADER IS A BIG FAT DUSTY BADGER WHO LIVES A SUBMARINE IN THE GARDEN POND) fuss about such things that others do. I did listen to almost all the tracks in this thread (THE BRAIN INVADERS HAVE CONSTRUCTED A HIVE INSIDE YOUR SKULL WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING THEY CREPT INTO YOUR EAR AND BEGAN BURROWING DEEP AS THEY CAN GO NOW THEY HAVE TAKEN SEIGE) and they were okay but (MY MIGRANES HAVE BECOME MORE INTENSE I SEE FLOATING EFFIGIES OF ROGER WATERS AND PUTIN OVER A BOILING VOLCANO OF BLOOD AND IT FEELS AS THOUGH UFOS DRAIN THE ENERGY FROM EVEN THE MOST EMPTY OF DEAD ZONES) yes we discuse  

• Like 1

can definitely see how this album wouldn't be everyone's style, but i'm with @Friendly Stranger, i love this. the whole thing feels really wholesome somehow. sometimes it seems clear that an artist did what they really truly wanted to, and i get that feeling here. thanks, mr holden, keep being weird!

• Like 5

It's an interesting album, if you skip around and sample various spots in the tracks it sounds like a hot mess, but if you listen to it from beginning to end, the album just emerges as a coherent whole, everything snapping into place. Definitely not to everyone's taste, YMMV, and I still think The Inheritors is better (to me), but this is an order of magnitude more interesting than I expected from the preview tracks. Recommended. Continuous Revolution is my current favourite, probably because it hearkens back to the sound of The Inheritors.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

Woha, this LP is a ride for sure, guess the title wasn't some esoteric bullshit but pretty straight forward ?

"In the End You'll Know" is the jam for me, this sounds more like Clark than everything Clark has put out in 10 years - sorry.

By the way, I often mix up James Holden with Jon Hopkins, which has led to some interesting till disturbing results.

This album is a lot to take in, have played it 3 times and it's definitely cohesive and beautiful, but at this point it's lacking a little something that The Animal Spirits and The Inheritors had. It's less engaging, there's less to grab onto. Definitely keeping it in rotation, great for staying focused on work at least. 

• Like 1

One of those artists watmm love but I don’t. Couldn’t make it past halfway before throwing the towel in. That goes for all his other albums. Just not my vibe. Do like the Nathan Fake remix though. And the trance tracks (I Put Out The Light & Into The Dawn) posted up by Soloman Tump. Those are very good.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Thanks 1

Nice.

Like ... nice. Not great, but pleasant to listen to. As background music for doing datascience to. Will be doing a lot of that in the coming months, so I expect to be listening to this a lot.

But I totally get why @beerwolf wouldn't like it. It's on the very syrupy side of sickly sweet.

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2023 at 3:59 PM, beerwolf said:

Been listening this afternoon to his Balance 005 mix on Spotify. It’s most excellent ? 

It is indeed! "The Difference It Makes" is such a solid banger on there 

Holy fuck it's an amazing mix! 

(THE SONIC BEAST IS BACK ON ?)

May have to re listen to his albums, just on the We Are Not Worthiness ?  of this mix 

Edited by beerwolf

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Been listening to this a lot.

Its dubby, a bit like what early Orb was trying to do, but without all the "nudge, nudge, wink, wink, drugs" vocal samples.

Its great for working - I play it through my laptop speakers and then an hour later I've written tons of code

Listening to it in the car landed completely differently somehow, like you're not supposed to focus on it too much.

• Like 2

I like how it's mixed first and foremost. It sounds lush and saturated. It's a tasteful record for sure and is distinct from other dance records as it is not pushing the groove on you not doing clever things with technology to alter the beats or create crazy cleaver melodies. Reminds me of FSOL and other great music like that in its style. It's soulful and warm and I have been playing it loads lately.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1