IGNORED

RDJ's claim to have written secret pop songs (1995)

zazen

I've been vaguely wondering about this for years. In 1995 RDJ was interviewed by NME magazine and had this to say:

“I already have written catchy pop songs with big choruses and they’ve already been successful. I’m not telling you which songs they were. They were by famous people. I’m not saying who, no. It’s a secret. They were Top 40 hits and everything, which I’ve never had with my own stuff, but I’m not that bothered, really. Maybe I’ll do a song like that myself one day, but you have to choose the best way for a song to come out.”

See the interview here: https://lannerchronicle.wordpress.com/2020/09/26/aphex-twin-nme-18th-march-1995/

Now, with the utmost respect to RDJs talent, was he just talking out of his arse here? Because surely 20+ years later, if he had written secret pop songs that had got into the Top 40 we would know about it? (for americans: Top 40 was/is the UK singles chart)

So I hereby ask watmm - can we identify what secret 1995-ish pop songs he might be talking about? Surely we could identify his sound signature if it was there? Or was it all a load of bollocks?

Because lets face it, he has been known to talk bollocks in interviews, especially in that era

Edited by zazen
  • Like 1

my guess is you do not shoot something like come to daddy or window licker out of your armpit. I guess he did help in production with other songs and learned by this how the industry ticks. It also makes sense if you have expensive studio equipment why not use it for other projects as well 

Seem to remember a few years back PRS for music (a royalty services for recording artists) having their database open to the public (now closed off without an account:  https://searchworks.prsformusic.com/ ) where it definitively showed The Tuss being Richard, but there were no other surprises on there. Pretty sure any releases hitting the Top 40 back then would've had him credited on there somewhere....

EDIT: actually looks like it might've been BMI not PRS -  https://forum.watmm.com/topic/70627-steinvord-speculation/page/30/#comment-1970788

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is textbook bollocks isn't it😆. Oh yeah my pop songs go to another school in the next town over yeah you havent met them, their choruses are maaasive tho and theyre deeead successful. Sorry I can't tell you who they are I'm not allowed.

He hates pop music ffs and as far as I know has no real contacts or friends in that wing of the industry. The only brief interest was around this same period where he did Milkman and Beetles as kind of pop music parodies, or conceptual dares - it mustve been playing on his mind.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

That would make sense as one of my biggest pop guilty secrets is Stay Another Day. I knew it had to be Rich. The mastermind.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Haha 1

Uhhhhm, I realize this is an IDM forum but none of you actually listen to any popmusic?

This has richard all over it. Just listen to the snare.

• Haha 6

35 minutes ago, endera3rd said:

Definitely not the pop song but I always thought this was him but maybe tricky and bjork sampled him.

kind of interesting considering the timing and naming of this release and another remix album Richard was on: nin “further down the spiral”

Be funny if it was true. Obviously not East 17 but I wouldn't bet against Aphex putting out a few joke tracks, here and there. Obviously he wouldn't admit to the ones that bombed.