IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

No problem. Yes, the latency on the Nord is very good. I haven't measured it, though, but I haven't noticed it. And in the past I have been absolutely anal retentive about latency - that's part of why I prefer hardware.

Also I find its parameter scales to be calibrated just about perfectly, or at least better than anything else I've used. You can make LFO cycles & envelope segment durations from 45 seconds to .5ms. Sometimes it doesn't have quite enough resolution and you have to add some plumbing to dial things in just right but I haven't found spots on the ranges that seem to be scaled weirdly, it's all smooth and logical. I can say confidently that it's the most musical digital modular environment I've worked in.

Guest WNS000

That is nice. A well-fitting controls with a good resolution are essential for these kinds of sound-design beasts.

You might be able to run the software in a virtual machine running an old OS, not sure if there would still be driver issues for USB communication (or is it all done via sysex? Never used one) though.

Yeah those are issues I saw other people grappling with, but I also saw some creative solutions/enhancements.

What is the real difference between a super-huge modular synth software vs Nord Modular (which you have to edit in the computer anyway)? Is there a feature in Nord Modular that would justify its use today?

- Price

- Sound

- Compactness

- MIDI control

- For the rack & key (not the micro) - ability to transmit snapshots of CCs and control all patch parameters from front panel

Also I've had very little trouble running the editor from Wine in OSX.

That's good to know, thanks. I saw some people were okay on an emulator but others had issues. I'm also on OSX so that solution is one I'll keep in mind when I grab one of these.

Which, btw, the full size modulars of theirs are supposedly worth the investment, and I don't doubt it. Just to save the hassle of MIDI mapping to external controllers or whatever, and having those deep changes possible on the fly. I've kinda put the Nord anythings out of my mind for the time being...though one day I know I'm going to cave and at least pick up the Micro.

Axoloti Core is available right now. I can't say I've used the one I got from the funding campaign as much as I'd hoped but that's more because of the way I'm working these days than because of anything wrong with it, it's definitely a capable thing. Obviously different than a Nord modular but could fill a similar niche.

http://www.axoloti.com/product/axoloti-core/

I just finished my first track in Logic X (haven't really used it before except for learning the shortcuts that they've changed) and holy fucking shit... I LOVE IT!

Or maybe it's just the Retro Synth I love. I dunno and I don't care. Also, I just upgraded to Komplete 10 which adds a whole lot of fun.

10g0gfr.jpg

You might be able to run the software in a virtual machine running an old OS, not sure if there would still be driver issues for USB communication (or is it all done via sysex? Never used one) though.

Yeah those are issues I saw other people grappling with, but I also saw some creative solutions/enhancements.

What is the real difference between a super-huge modular synth software vs Nord Modular (which you have to edit in the computer anyway)? Is there a feature in Nord Modular that would justify its use today?

- Price

- Sound

- Compactness

- MIDI control

- For the rack & key (not the micro) - ability to transmit snapshots of CCs and control all patch parameters from front panel

Also I've had very little trouble running the editor from Wine in OSX.

That's good to know, thanks. I saw some people were okay on an emulator but others had issues. I'm also on OSX so that solution is one I'll keep in mind when I grab one of these.

Which, btw, the full size modulars of theirs are supposedly worth the investment, and I don't doubt it. Just to save the hassle of MIDI mapping to external controllers or whatever, and having those deep changes possible on the fly. I've kinda put the Nord anythings out of my mind for the time being...though one day I know I'm going to cave and at least pick up the Micro.

I should have mentioned, there is a sysex patch for wine that you need to get it working correctly.

Axoloti Core is available right now. I can't say I've used the one I got from the funding campaign as much as I'd hoped but that's more because of the way I'm working these days than because of anything wrong with it, it's definitely a capable thing. Obviously different than a Nord modular but could fill a similar niche.

FYI

I made an attempt to implement FDN-reverb in style of Tom Erbe's Erbe-Verb inside Axoloti and i got pretty interesting results:

https://clyp.it/vb4bfvw0

https://clyp.it/sh0bo2rl

It consumes ~40%CPU and almost whole SRAM so you can't add something else to this — only this reverb patch. So i had to process external source with this (Synth1 VST is sequenced in Renoise being sent to Axoloti and then returns back into Renoise)

FYI

I made an attempt to implement FDN-reverb in style of Tom Erbe's Erbe-Verb inside Axoloti and i got pretty interesting results:

https://clyp.it/vb4bfvw0

https://clyp.it/sh0bo2rl

It consumes ~40%CPU and almost whole SRAM so you can't add something else to this — only this reverb patch. So i had to process external source with this (Synth1 VST is sequenced in Renoise being sent to Axoloti and then returns back into Renoise)

I'll check that out. My next plan for it is to program some kind of custom interface for a 360 Systems AM-16/B (they cost about $20 right now, although the cabling is a big and pain) so it can be easily programmed in real time over MIDI from a step sequencer (so probably something simple where CC number corresponds to an input and CC value 1-16 corresponds to an output) and play around with quick signal routing changes as a compositional tool.

EDIT: that's a nice sounding reverb!

Edited by RSP

If you get one, buy these cables in addition to the shipped ones. They really help getting more weird shit out of it.

http://www.schneidersladen.de/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_38007.jpg

http://www.tiptopaudio.com/stack.php

Edited by Psychotronic

Just bought a house (well, my girlfriend did, and I'm contributing). New setup is getting there..

fBrwLSS.jpg

Gonna get some monitors soon, hopefully. I'm thinking Yamaha HS5s, since it's a pretty small space.. if anyone can convince me otherwise I'm open to options!

Guest bitroast

ooo what's this do ? *picks up patchblock*
what's that ?? *picks up toy robot*

where's the op-1 ?? *rummages through desk*

ooo what's this do i can't hear anything? *presses random buttons on kp3*

very nice setup. looks fun :^)

Guest Chesney

Adam A5x Modey. Perfect for small/medium room and lovely and clear. I was trying monitors for maybe 2 years before I settled on these.

Wicked fun setup dude.

I finished fixing/swapping broken fader units on new cheap mixer. Sounds so big and "warm" (grrr)

Still one dead channel and one quiet one. Might swap out the channel strips so they are both at one end rather than random places. Might show up what is wrong with them.

Will post pic later if I get it done.

I should fix my old Boss mixer (BX-800). The knobs and faders are pretty scratchy, and the channels are almost all different volumes. But it's pretty much the only stereo mixer with an aux bus I could find where all channels are the same and not split between some stereo channels, some mic/mono channels, etc.

yikes @ the price of those adam monitors. I'm probably going to keep my budget at around $700AU, since I also need to purchase a new computer at some point.