IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Over here there seems to be a lot of people dumping their gear after the NAMM announcements, which is nice.

Guest Chesney

Yeah, I was tempted by the OB6 but I may just get midi kits for the few synths that don't have any control and get over my other gripes.

Edited by Chesney

Thanx for the tips - I'm gonna combine citrus oil with a nice box and a mini-ladder that goes to the window and bypasses a table of warm, glowing boxes.

I've got gear cuz making music is my job and staring at a screen all day gets boring af. Interacting with machines is fun and I feel you develop a loving relationship with hardware quicker than software (not to say you can't have a lovely romantic time with a good DAW). Different interfaces inspire you in different ways so it's jolly nice to keep your options open with soundy things.
And it's tax deductible - weeeey!

Here's a DJ tool I made on many thousands of pounds worth of equipments: https://clyp.it/r5fmwzn3

"When you're in the middle of a cool djing set and you need to go curl/splat one out just whack on this handy djs tool, set to loop and then go do your business. Keep your audience on the same wavelength as you during your special time so when you return to the podium your vibez will still be aligned and you can drop in whatever sick track is next on your musical journey together."
-DJ Adolph Hussein

save up some cash, buy some stuff cheap, sell not that cheap, repeat until satisfactory.

good tip is - learn about popular defects like dead batteries and stuff that make keyboard appear nonfuctioning. this way you can buy a supposedly 'dead' keyboard for 30 euros and sell it for 300 after replacing a 1eur battery or something. like dx7, poly800, etc. unless you were unlucky and it really was just dead. a guy i know bought a very rare crumar for 100 euros that was 'untested' and it turned out there was no electronics inside it.

be smart, generally speaking.

Good tip! I've acquired lots of "broken" items over the years and un-broke them for really cheap. Being a "fixer" living in a throw-away society has its perks, examples:

* When I moved out of my parents, I snagged an almost-new microwave oven out of the "junk" pile, put a new fuse in it, and am still using it 16 years later.

* Last spring, I got a new-old Honda snowblower with only ~20 hours on it for $25 on Craigslist because the owner wasn't aware that gasoline goes stale after sitting unused in a tank for 15 years.

* I just sold, for $200, a 31-year-old Toyota that was claimed to be "all used up" when I bought it 7 years ago (for $400). After a few days under it with a wrench and $150 in parts, I put 70,000 trouble-free miles on that "useless" old car and actually profited from it, about $80/month, due to company mileage reimbursement.

save up some cash, buy some stuff cheap, sell not that cheap, repeat until satisfactory.

good tip is - learn about popular defects like dead batteries and stuff that make keyboard appear nonfuctioning. this way you can buy a supposedly 'dead' keyboard for 30 euros and sell it for 300 after replacing a 1eur battery or something. like dx7, poly800, etc. unless you were unlucky and it really was just dead. a guy i know bought a very rare crumar for 100 euros that was 'untested' and it turned out there was no electronics inside it.

Good tip! I've acquired lots of "broken" items over the years and un-broke them for really cheap. Being a "fixer" living in a throw-away society has its perks, examples:

* When I moved out of my parents, I snagged an almost-new microwave oven out of the "junk" pile, put a new fuse in it, and am still using it 16 years later.

* Last spring, I got a new-old Honda snowblower with only ~20 hours on it for $25 on Craigslist because the owner wasn't aware that gasoline goes stale after sitting unused in a tank for 15 years.

* I just sold, for $200, a 31-year-old Toyota that was claimed to be "all used up" when I bought it 7 years ago (for $400). After a few days under it with a wrench and $150 in parts, I put 70,000 trouble-free miles on that "useless" old car and actually profited from it, about $80/month, due to company mileage reimbursement.

Nice. You are a practical person. I am the exact opposite.

yeah mega props to jsmcpn, good how you're old enough now to be able to look back and celebrate your lifestyle of thrift, at least in the context of machine fixing (I don't know, you might go blow the savings in vegas, hah), and especially in this time where every little extra counts. ledj

I wish my dad taught me how to do man stuff like that

I wish my dad taught me how to do man stuff like that

I'm completely retarded about internal combustion engines. I used to just ride the bus every where but now I live far away from my workplace so it's kind of unavoidable.

Yesterday I was drinking with this guy from work who often talks about how he saves hundreds of dollars fixing his own car.

Me: "So how did you figure out all this stuff? Did your dad teach you or something?"

Him: "YouTube. A few years ago all I knew was where to find the dipstick."

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there's a tr-808 hiding off to the left as well, the rest I don't know. Why are you posting these spot the synth things in the post your most recent studio thread anyway?

Edited by Gocab

What is "MR"? Isn't it dorky to have shirts and also a sticker on the wall with your band logo or whatever on it? I wonder if they have MR tattoos as well.

I like the blue walls. I also had one of those combination whiteboard/corkboard things. I didn't like it. I think now I just want a bigass whiteboard where I can sketch things out like routings.

Middleground Resistance perhaps, kudos on the gear spotting.

Edited by Gocab

What is "MR"? Isn't it dorky to have shirts and also a sticker on the wall with your band logo or whatever on it?

I think it's a great idea. I was considering doing it for one of the duos I play in; with both of us wearing button-up shirts with our logo embroidered on the pocket. Kinda like working in a factory or something, haha

I've fucked off all the gear, and all the fucking analogue bullshit because I'm fed up with the "warmth".

New studio is just this.

max7_logo.png