IGNORED

What video games are you currently playing?

Rubin Farr

You don't, well you do if you want to play it today.

I think it comes out for the little people on the 14th or something

Ah gotcha - Hopefully I can blow-torch (well, hot air gun) my PS3 CPU & GPU back into life by then ....

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can't decide whether to get journey or i am alive. ign gave i am alive 4/10, while pretty much every other gamesite is giving it 7-8/10, edge, gamespot, eurogamer etc are all giving it fairly high scores. journey looks really good though.

When in doubt...

...check GiantBomb.

[Edit] Sorry Usagi, not trying to shoot you down or start an argument about the film, just stating why it disappointed me!

that's fair enough, and I can see your points. I agree that Pyramid Head was incongruous in that he was a very personal demon for James in SH2 with a specific raison d'etre, as were most of the monsters. also the whole daughter/backstory business was a mess, I just overlooked it.

in the end though, I try to make an exception for this and just be happy with what I got. it can always be rebooted? :cisfor:

My memory is a bit hazy when it comes to Silent Hill, but wasn't it the movie that introduced the new designs to the nurses? Why on Earth would they do that? And why are the nurses all of a sudden dressed in a very revealing uniforms? I mean, Silent Hill isn't exactly the sexiest place to begin with...

Team Silent designed the nurses to be sexy as they represented James' repressed sexual urges towards his ill wife. I thought Pyramid Head and the nurses looked good in the film. fairly accurate, no CGI trickery, just old fashioned costumes and makeup.

This is why I'm not a hardcore gamer.

I realise this every now and then. I very much enjoy games and have gone to lengths (spending money, building new rigs) to play games, but I still don't think I'm "hardcore". I don't try many new ones per year, it's hard enough managing time for the ones I have or am already looking out for.

btw have you played Bioshock yet?

I haven't played Bioshock yet. I'm looking forward to it. I did, however, spend about an hour updating and installing the damn thing on my PS3, lol.

tech demo for quantic dreams new game, looks interesting i guess but i didn't like heavy rain much at all with all its preachy morality and "choices" that weren't really choices and what not so i dunno ..

[youtubehd]sr0wzpN0o1k[/youtubehd]

Sem_t_tulo_8.jpg

That was... amazing. They really are pushing the boundaries between art and simple video games. I passed on Heavy Rain - I might go back and give it a try.

It does look amazing. Give Heavy Rain a go. It is a fantastic game IMO.

Guest ansgaria

tech demo for quantic dreams new game, looks interesting i guess but i didn't like heavy rain much at all with all its preachy morality and "choices" that weren't really choices and what not so i dunno ..

Sem_t_tulo_8.jpg

That really had my jaw hanging a bit. I love the concept.

And as said, yes, do give Heavy Rain a go. I, for one, would have loved if

it was a different person being the killer based on your doings throughout the game. Not a whole lot of replay value, but a magnificent experience none the less.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Sem_t_tulo_8.jpg

That was... amazing. They really are pushing the boundaries between art and simple video games. I passed on Heavy Rain - I might go back and give it a try.

It does look amazing. Give Heavy Rain a go. It is a fantastic game IMO.

heavy rain was kinda stupid. la noire was the same. both nice ideas with shitty stories and awful endings

I grabbed from dust last night from PSN. kinda fun playing god.

yes, pretty cool, but it lacked something that black & white and (especially) populus 3 had. like it was all over & done just as it was getting good.

Guest Enter a new display name

My expectations were so high for the ending of Metal Gear Solid 4. I guess Hideo Kojima was trying really hard to find a way to solve many of the plots from the previous games. It was still an excellent game though.

Now playing Vagrant Story.

Guest ansgaria

My expectations were so high for the ending of Metal Gear Solid 4. I guess Hideo Kojima was trying really hard to find a way to solve many of the plots from the previous games. It was still an excellent game though.

It does seems like they're furiously trying to wrap everything up and try to please the fans as much as possible. Not necessarily a good cocktail.

I just finished Secret of Monkey Island (the 'new' HD improved edition) and it's the most fun I've had with a game for a long, long time. Lovely humour.

I can't wait for the sequel to get its Mac OSX release.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

I grabbed from dust last night from PSN. kinda fun playing god.

yes, pretty cool, but it lacked something that black & white and (especially) populus 3 had. like it was all over & done just as it was getting good.

haven't played either of those. which would you say was better if i like from dust?

Guest Sprigg

I think it's time I finally picked up Mass Effect 1 and 2... I liked DA:O well enough, so I should logically like ME cuz it's just the sci fi version of that, right? (By which, I mean it'll probably be a shitty version of the KOTOR games).

First Mass Effect has an amazing story, but the gamemplay can be a bit boring. Though it's much better than DA:O of course. Dunno how it can be a shitty version of KOTOR, it's a totally different story, and at least no one fights with fucking swords instead of guns in Mass Effect.

Playing back through metal gear solid 2. Still the best one in my opinion. I think after the first two games they threw away something special about the gameplay. The first two games are basically stealth-based futuristic zelda. You get keys and items that allow you to progress through the world. Backtracking is required, but there is nothing wrong with it and it makes it more interesting because when you are in areas you think, I wonder what is behind this door, or behind these exlposives. I guess I'll find out later when I get the required tools for the puzzle.

The later games take on a linear approach, while making enemy interaction and gameplay elements more interesting, they take away the explorative side of things and put you in more of a tunnel. This is especially true with 4.

The other reason 2 is so great is the storyline. Just completely blew me away. Like the colonel being some kind of hallucinatory simulation, the la li lu le lo, liquids arm, snake playing tricks on you. So fucking bizarre and amazing. I am amazed that 3 is held in such high regard compared to 2, different strokes I guess.

i had a ton of trouble understanding exactly wtf was going on for most of MGS2....MGS3 plot has far more interesting and easily understandable IMHO..i do agree with your point about the zelda/metroid aspects of it....i too really missed the idea of being restricted to a large complex

First Mass Effect has an amazing story, but the gamemplay can be a bit boring. Though it's much better than DA:O of course. Dunno how it can be a shitty version of KOTOR, it's a totally different story, and at least no one fights with fucking swords instead of guns in Mass Effect.

*ahem* Kai Leng

Guest Enter a new display name

Playing back through metal gear solid 2. Still the best one in my opinion. I think after the first two games they threw away something special about the gameplay. The first two games are basically stealth-based futuristic zelda. You get keys and items that allow you to progress through the world. Backtracking is required, but there is nothing wrong with it and it makes it more interesting because when you are in areas you think, I wonder what is behind this door, or behind these exlposives. I guess I'll find out later when I get the required tools for the puzzle.

The later games take on a linear approach, while making enemy interaction and gameplay elements more interesting, they take away the explorative side of things and put you in more of a tunnel. This is especially true with 4.

The other reason 2 is so great is the storyline. Just completely blew me away. Like the colonel being some kind of hallucinatory simulation, the la li lu le lo, liquids arm, snake playing tricks on you. So fucking bizarre and amazing. I am amazed that 3 is held in such high regard compared to 2, different strokes I guess.

I totally agree.

i had a ton of trouble understanding exactly wtf was going on for most of MGS2....MGS3 plot has far more interesting and easily understandable IMHO..i do agree with your point about the zelda/metroid aspects of it....i too really missed the idea of being restricted to a large complex

I barely got used to the restrictive camera in MGS3 (considering the broad environment). The plot was enlightening although not as mindfucking as in MGS2. I haven't played Subsistence yet but I'm expecting a new and refreshing experience.

vessel - easily the best platfrom puzzler since braid. awesome visuals (steampunk!), sound and great dynamic music. inventive and fresh mechanics, you actually manipulate liquids in this one !

Guest Pennywise

cos you play as this douche

Model_Raiden.jpg

I "borrowed" Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning from the interweb last night and played it for 3-4 hours. I would recommend against getting this game. Even at hard difficulty the combat is too easy, and the storyline isn't engaging enough to stand on its own without combat.

Guest Sprigg

Awesome. I'll definitely pick it up then, probably sometime today.

Been replaying portal 2 the past few days I've been sick.

And I gotta say, their were a lot more details I hadn't noticed on my first run.

Reminded me just how great the games of Valve are.

vessel - easily the best platfrom puzzler since braid. awesome visuals (steampunk!), sound and great dynamic music. inventive and fresh mechanics, you actually manipulate liquids in this one !

I think I hear a track from Jon Hopkins playing in there. And coincidentally he has a track named vessel as well.

Archived