IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

watched hackers ( never seen ) and then hanna ( never seen)

both were good. hackers has more of a replay value to me ( and i actually find jolie attractive in it, not a jolie fan)

hanna was intense, very violent and graphic but still a good watch.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest analogue wings

God = Brad Pitt. Jesus != God. The blonde kid as Jesus comment was a joke.

The Catholicism I learned in school made some space for science and reason. The version of Christianity promoted by this film is pure darkness. The movie is not about evil (you could argue that too but I don't think it is so), it IS evil itself.

And troon, IMHO we are instructed to worship celebrities / money as our new Gods but some people resist that idea, some even find it repugnant but the sad fact is that there is no one and nothing to emulate or follow these days. We all live in a desert of meaning. Someone is sooner or later going to fill this void but I don't want THAT to do it. Terrence Malick is in a privileged position to guide people with his art and THIS what he offers? Fuck him.

it's not Terrence Malick's fault you've done too much drugs. Stop projecting.

Woman Sues Over Drive Trailer

Lawsuit claims she was promised Fast & Furious but got art.

Drive was a motion picture that substantially contained extreme gratuitous defamatory dehumanizing racism directed against members of the Jewish faith, and thereby promoted criminal violence against members of the Jewish faith."

http://movies.ign.co.../1199189p1.html

lol

why did you give it a 7? what was wrong with it

I believe it could have been a bit more interesting with the subject matter given. Lars tries a bit too hard imo to evoke emotional responses through awkward moments in his films and they were in great abundance within the film. Awkward moments can be interesting but when overused it feels like they are being forced upon the viewer. The intro of the film and the last 30 minutes are pretty amazing though. I like Antichrist a lot more. So therefore it gets a 7.

some spoilers ahead:

perhaps one of the reasons why i found it so impressive is that i watched the 2nd part of the film 2 days after the first, which obviously packs more of a punch. it's all shamelessly emo but i think he does it all right, the first part is also very strong and festen-like, the acting is great though gainsburg is much better (and she's probably the most beautiful woman i've seen), and most importantly that recurring wagner piece is absolutely soul-destroying, i couldn't get it out of my head for days.

some spoilers ahead:

perhaps one of the reasons why i found it so impressive is that i watched the 2nd part of the film 2 days after the first, which obviously packs more of a punch. it's all shamelessly emo but i think he does it all right, the first part is also very strong and festen-like, the acting is great though gainsburg is much better (and she's probably the most beautiful woman i've seen), and most importantly that recurring wagner piece is absolutely soul-destroying, i couldn't get it out of my head for days.

Gainsburg has the ability to switch from being mezmerising or really ugly. I don't know how she does it?

Guest beatfanatic

I am eagerly waiting for better quality rips (dvdrips or better) of the following movies

Melancholia

Drive (already seen it in theaters but cant wait to watch it again)

George Harrison : Living in the naterial world ( directed by Martin Scorcese, HBO aired this as a two part series )

A Tribe Called quest documentary

la_cienaga_21.jpg

La Cienaga (Lucrecia Martel)

This woman is an expert at making me feel uncomfortable and annoyed by the people on screen. I guess this movie is about stagnation, people being self absorbed / casually horrible to each other and there is a constant dread and sexually off thing that is v weird and unpleasant. Awesome photography.

Bully (Larry Clark)

Real life crime story. Strange fixation with the blonde chick. Can't believe the killing scene.

brighton rock (2010) - why the need to 'cool' up a perfectly great story by setting in 60's mod era i will never know! cringeworthy quadrophenia rippage throughout. this was a real struggle for me to watch... maybe if i'd never read and loved the book i could have watched it for what it is. graham greene will be face-palming in his grave!

I'm late to the party.

Drive = 7/10

Style over substance. Style well done though. Good looking film.

The soundtrack was definitely better than the story. There were several points where my wife and I looked at each other in ther theater and rolled our eyes.

I heard somewhere that the film has been much more successful with younger audiences. Kids.

My major gripe with the movie was... couldn't they afford to make the blood on his scorpion jacket look mor realistic? It looked like they let some kid scribble on it with a red sharpie. Jeez. C'mon.

tumblr_l791z40hvP1qc38ggo1_500.jpg

Stroszek (Werner Herzog)

Outsider musician goes to USA with his prostitute girlfriend to live the American dream. I avoided the movie for years and now I'm afraid I have no words to explain how good it is. I understand why would someone commit suicide after watching Stroszek so approach with caution. Absolute Classic.

This couldn't be more true. Stroszek has been my favorite movie for the last 14 years. It's a game-changer. I would only rate a handful of movies 10/10 and this is definitely one of them.

yea i liked the lack of substance in drive. maybe that's lame, but i did. like if someone says "Hey, how are you?" to the main character in a film and he just says "Hi.", i can't help but like that. i watched it in a small cinema full of rolling eyes. the intro song had an old bigguy next to me huffing and puffing with despair whist i was enjoying the fuck out of it. the younger people kept saying they only liked the first half.

was watching the trailer for Stroszek yesterday, will have to see that asap :o

yea i liked the lack of substance in drive. maybe that's lame, but i did. like if someone says "Hey, how are you?" to the main character in a film and he just says "Hi.", i can't help but like that. i watched it in a small cinema full of rolling eyes. the intro song had an old bigguy next to me huffing and puffing with despair whist i was enjoying the fuck out of it. the younger people kept saying they only liked the first half.

was watching the trailer for Stroszek yesterday, will have to see that asap :o

i liked the shyness yet perceptive enigma of the lead guy which kept you intrigued not with the dialogue but with the way the film was finley executed.

anyhowz

Pirates of the Carrabbien (nu one) 5/10 - filled 2hrs but not as lavish as the previous films

Bad Lieutenant 8/10 - normally stay away from nick cage remakes but this is an exception. loved the Hertzog quirks

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

ides of march

pretty good. one major flaw in plot though.

the part where ida tries to blackmail steve with the prospect of writing a story about his meeting with tom duffy. i just didnt buy that steve would give a shit, especially seeing as he had already told his boss

otherwise i fear it may be a little forgettable. the overall message that all politicians are compromised is worthwhile if not a little obvious to everyone already

Tyrannosaur - 8/10. Great directorial debut from Paddy Considine. Related to Peter Mullen through the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54vwMP4xuCY

So want to see this but its not playing around here. The dog altogether short was great

i read recently that he has aspergers.

and lars von trier maybe has ocd...maybe

love a bit of paddy. saw him recently in a statham film, i forget which, playing a gay cop. not his best performance. that would be...dead man..or my wrongs..

Archived