IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

wall street: the original one

7/10 i mean it was pretty well made and all but i hated literally everyone, not a sympathetic person in it. martin sheen's CHARACTER is sympathetic, but martin sheen can't play sympathetic to save his life. and the moral message of the film was just... jesus christ, oliver stone, why don't you fucking club me to death here?!?!

id have rated it lower but the music choices were superb. cuts from that eno/bowie record, talking heads, original stuff by stewart copeland. really can't go wrong there.

i don't get the appeal much for Wall St, i think almost every other film Stone made in the 80s is superior

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest disparaissant

i cant say im really a fan of oliver stone. he's directed a ton of movies that i think are okay but beyond that, nothing that really impresses me.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch
Just saw the new muppets movie.

7.5/10

No real spoilers, but...

The story was extremely formulaic. I thought it was great to relive the muppet experience and all, but the whole movie should have just been about the muppets, not the new gang. That's just my opinion though. I always like Amy Adams and she is fantastic in this one, but her character was majorly underdeveloped for the amount of screen time she had. I could leave Jason Segal out entirely, despite he was the creative force behind the film.

It did get a tear out of me in the rainbow connection number... however, I'll chalk that up to emotional manipulation, not catharsis.

The music was great. Had a few songs STUCK in my head for days.

i cant say im really a fan of oliver stone. he's directed a ton of movies that i think are okay but beyond that, nothing that really impresses me.

I went through a Stone phase recently and came to the conclusion that all his films are shit (yes, even and especially JFK, Awepittance). Though I didn't rewatch Salvador and have some hope for that (tho the last time I saw it I was...15?)...

It's too bad because you want him to be like this super-gutsy, tough-minded American original (sort of like a more serious, politically-minded Tarantino - who I do think is an American original) but then you see the totally simplistic worldview, bad lighting, bad editing...

Actually wait, as over-the-top as Scarface is, it's his best flick, imo. Interesting subject matter (Cuban refugee crisis fallout, Latin culture, drugs, Miami), and one of the only "glorification of the bad guy" films I can remember, apart from There Will Be Blood (hmm, Night of the Hunter also sort of is right? Would like to see again...). I think Stone understands "south of the border" probably better than any other director, he should just quit with the tired lefty politics and set all his films in Latin America...

I went through a Stone phase recently and came to the conclusion that all his films are shit (yes, even and especially JFK, Awepittance). Though I didn't rewatch Salvador and have some hope for that (tho the last time I saw it I was...15?)...

It's too bad because you want him to be like this super-gutsy, tough-minded American original (sort of like a more serious, politically-minded Tarantino - who I do think is an American original) but then you see the totally simplistic worldview, bad lighting, bad editing...

Actually wait, as over-the-top as Scarface is, it's his best flick, imo. Interesting subject matter (Cuban refugee crisis fallout, Latin culture, drugs, Miami), and one of the only "glorification of the bad guy" films I can remember, apart from There Will Be Blood (hmm, Night of the Hunter also sort of is right? Would like to see again...). I think Stone understands "south of the border" probably better than any other director, he should just quit with the tired lefty politics and set all his films in Latin America...

Qft. Many times over. Stone continually disappoints. Did bush jr really need a film made after him? Did any of his presidential selections? I always leave confused why someone would try to insert their own directorial opinions into a story and characters that already carry so much critical weight? It always just came off to me as a incredibly obvious attempt to garner critical respect, rather than taking the time to a. Write your own story with your own lefty politics or b. find an unknown story of heroism and reinterpret it a la rescue dawn.

I agree with the scarface analysis, but Mitchums character is never the hero in night of the hunter. I think Mitchum was just so compelling that you can't end up hating him, even while he is stalking a little child.

glengarry glen ross - didnt finish it yet but looks pretty intresting so 1/4 through so far give it a 7/10

the thing (2011) - 8/10 - yeah so what, i thought it was ok, and for what its worth tied the film in with the original. i had to watch the original straight after it.

the thing- 0/10

sorry but this makes no sense at all, why on earth would the guy in the end try to rescue the girl from the ship if he was also a "thing"??? :facepalm:

and i believe the entire movie is made out of crap resolutions like these.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

the thing- 0/10

sorry but this makes no sense at all, why on earth would the guy in the end try to rescue the girl from the ship if he was also a "thing"??? :facepalm:

no reason

the thing- 0/10

no reason

who was, when and how did the first person got infected???

NO REASON!!!

margin call (2011) - 7/10

whoever mentioned it in this thread - cheers, i enjoyed

i have this sitting on my hd for a while, tried to watch it 3 times but i quit after 10 minutes cause i think i might not be able to follow it :mellow:

Warrior - 7/10

The MMA version of rocky? I really enjoyed it for what it was, its a 2 hour and 19 min film, and it pretty flew by and held my attention.

Tom Hardey is pretty much brilliant in it and is fast becoming one of my fav actors

margin call (2011) - 7/10

whoever mentioned it in this thread - cheers, i enjoyed

i have this sitting on my hd for a while, tried to watch it 3 times but i quit after 10 minutes cause i think i might not be able to follow it :mellow:

worth persisting, it's less about the 'what-exactly-the-fuck-happened' and more about the people involved, how they react once realising the severity of what is happening. there was only a few brief wtf moments of commerce-gibberish that went completely over my head, it's not a language I'm versed in even in the slightest, but that didn't make it any less enjoyable of a film

el secreto de sus ojos (the secrets in their eyes) - Brilliant Argentinian film. Equal parts crime story / love story but not in a shitty hollywood way. Great dialogue, lovely to look at and brilliantly played with a neat twist. 8.91 / 10

the devil's backbone - Spanish Civil War era ghost story from Guillermo del Toro. Quite good....Wouldn't watch twice. Liked the poem read by the Doctor when Mrs One Leg kicked the bucket. 6.25 / 10

Archived