• Last Reply

the uninvited guest - a bit dumb 6/10

the yellow sea - too much information i couldn't keep track of it lol 6/10

real steel - popcorn nonsense 1/10

the veteran - got bored after a while 5/10

panic button - not that bad, actually it had potential 5/10

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Margin Call

Liked it alot. obviously not a feel good movie of the year. a humanizing look at the people involved in the financial crisis and their motivations (money obv) and decision making. Haven't heard many people talking about it and no award stuff either. jeremy irons is frighteningly subtle

Margin Call

Liked it alot. obviously not a feel good movie of the year. a humanizing look at the people involved in the financial crisis and their motivations (money obv) and decision making. Haven't heard many people talking about it and no award stuff either. jeremy irons is frighteningly subtle

Rush Limbaugh rated this his favorite movie of the year, for that alone i need to see it

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Margin Call

Rush Limbaugh rated this his favorite movie of the year, for that alone i need to see it

how odd. i suppose in some respects you could say this film tries to ease the blame of the people involved, it was written/directed by an ex-bankers son (not sure who funded it). it paints most of the participants as complicit and the boss as a guy who simply won't lose at whatever cost to everyone in the world.

got back to movie watching after a while. here's from last two days.

carnage!

loved every second of it.

everybody go see carnage now! or again.

it's too funny. minimal and classy, too.

50/50 was a disappointment.

lost boys as well.

mean girls was pretty good for a linday lohan movie, made me chuckle.

cave of forgotten dreams is just 100 minutes of cave(s). i guess it makes more sense in 3d. or with geogaddi in the background. also herzog cracks me up as a narrator which never helps.

The Bedford Incident, 1965

excellent UK film with sidney poitner and a grumpy eastwood-like captain on a boat, patrolling greenland waters for russian subs. they find a sub, and grumpy captain goes in for the hunt, narrowly avoiding conflict in tense times or so it seems.

stunning colorless visuals with deep contrast, with high level of detail at all times. grimy. featuring lots of old-school machines, gear, early cold war paranoia and, of course arctic scenery in broody grainy style.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058962/

RmeI9.png

ZcCoM.png

25oDC.png

Aa41h.png

fat 8 maybe higher.

watched this tonight with exvoto. got together for a good political paranoid 60's post-cuban coldwar workout. i kicked out my sultry neighbour to watch this film with him, it's that good..

The Future - 2/10 - Dreadful. The sad thing is this could have been a decent film. It didn't bother me that the main characters were straight out of an American Apparel ad but when you add the thick layer of cutesy-ness/twee-ness/quirk, whatever you wanna call it, it's almost unbearable. I should have known better when it started with (shitty, schmaltzy) narration from a cat. Occasionally, you'll see something real try to peak up from the surface and then the moon will start talking or a shirt crawls across the room. Sigh...

On the plus side, the puppetry with the cat's paws was alright, I guess. The music was good too but Jon Brion is still Jon Brion even if he's scoring a shitty film.

The Future - 2/10 - Dreadful. The sad thing is this could have been a decent film. It didn't bother me that the main characters were straight out of an American Apparel ad but when you add the thick layer of cutesy-ness/twee-ness/quirk, whatever you wanna call it, it's almost unbearable. I should have known better when it started with (shitty, schmaltzy) narration from a cat. Occasionally, you'll see something real try to peak up from the surface and then the moon will start talking or a shirt crawls across the room. Sigh...

On the plus side, the puppetry with the cat's paws was alright, I guess. The music was good too but Jon Brion is still Jon Brion even if he's scoring a shitty film.

lol spot on

The Thing (1982) in HD with commentary, I was curious to see how the practical effects would look in HD, I thought they would look phony and you would see all the imperfections but I was quite surprised to see that it was not the case at all. They looked amazing in HD, they looked real because they were real but most of the time they didn't like like puppets or reversed motion effects so the immersion was incredible. The commentary was top notch as always.

Logan's Run (1976) in HD, for the dumbasses who are constantly saying practical effects are always better should look at this movie, the initial shot looks like a miniature set like those hobby scale train sets (because it is one), the gun effects are delayed and everything and everyone is out of sync, there's no immersion at all. I was never a fan of this movie specially because Michael York face disgusts me. Only watched it because I wanted to see Jenny Agutter with that dress in HD, it was worth.

Logan's Run (1976) in HD

does HD actually transform old film stock into amazing hi-res? amazing!

"HD" haha. i suppose it's the best digital transfer, compared to video cassettes (no shit sherlock). i'm not a big fan of the film itself, although yes she looks pretty there..

82148.jpg

i enjoyed tree of life more than i thought i should (for those reasons).

Logan's Run (1976) in HD

does HD actually transform old film stock into amazing hi-res? amazing!

Old film stock has infinite resolution innit, unlike digital.

Archived