IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

At a friend's place, we watched Troll 2 on Netflix

I'm not sure how to grade that one. It's clearly shit, but crazy as hell. I did find myself bored quite a bit. 3/10 I guess. There are lots of shittier movies out there that are more fun to laugh at, if that's your thing. I think a lot of people feel like they are supposed to enjoy it "ironically". At the end of the day, it's still shit.

Truth. I think the only real so bad it's good movie is probably The Room. Which I've watched more times than some good movies.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wait, how is Synecdoche even remotely similar to Punch Drunk Love? I literally do not understand

Same composer and they're both stories about 2 men trying to find there way in the world. I know this is a really generic plot but something about each movie makes them similar, such as the quirkiness.

lol?

I watched Human Traffic a few nights ago. I really loved it. It's kind of like a cross between Trainspotting and Metropolitan/Barcelona, or a Woody Allen film. I watched it to get a feel for what life might have been like during the rave period, I think it was sufficient and probably the best film available.

human traffic is a bucket of wank and has nothing to do with "the rave period"

I hated Human Traffic. Something about that film made me think it was made with the express intent of pissing me off.

The Revenant - More ideas in one film than all the blockbusters I've seen this year, doesn't always work and the special effects are ropey at the end but it's worth a go if you like your horror comedies.

Guest zaphod

adaptation - i watched this in the theater years ago and didn't really like it. watched it again and now i like it a lot. it succeeds as a meta narrative and commentary on tropes where cabin the woods failed pretty miserably. and it is actually a really smart movie that never condescends to the audience. i also enjoyed cage's performance. probably the only kaufman movie that still holds up for me, since i really doubt synecdoche will yield to repeat viewings.

Knuckle - 7/10 - Documentary about "Irish travellers" and the family feuds that result in (usually) bare-knuckle boxing matches. It was sort of interesting because I knew very little about the "traveller" subculture. But mostly it just made me sad. Watching these people repeat the same cycle of drinking to excess, getting into disputes/fights with their family members, scheduling fights to settle their grievances, fighting, and then having one side make a video gloating over the win; just to start the whole thing over again.

The Raid: Redemption - 4/10 - Don't understand why people are praising this. Outside of a few action scenes, it's very boring. Even with the action scenes being the best thing about the film, they start to get repetitious after a while. You're not properly introduced to the cops (main characters), so there's no real reason for you to care about them. Also, doesn't help that you can barely tell them apart. I couldn't really even enjoy the extreme brutality of the film, because there's really no reason for it. Turning into an old man I guess...

Young Adult - 7/10 - Better than I was expecting. I watched it with my girlfriend and she wanted to shut it off a few times because of how much of a cunt the main character was. But I thought it was actually a well-balanced performance.

Guest zaphod

I'm laughing because I know you saw this piece of shit and you know exactly what I'm talking about.

yeah it was over hyped garbage

while you are correct that this has nothing to do with the rave period, this film does perfectly encapsulate the average middle class clubbing scene in the late 90s. if you don't see that you are blind.

while you are correct that this has nothing to do with the rave period, this film does perfectly encapsulate the average middle class clubbing scene in the late 90s. if you don't see that you are blind.

NICE ONE BRUVVA!!

yeah - i was commenting on this...

I watched Human Traffic a few nights ago. I really loved it. It's kind of like a cross between Trainspotting and Metropolitan/Barcelona, or a Woody Allen film. I watched it to get a feel for what life might have been like during the rave period, I think it was sufficient and probably the best film available.

Watched a couple of films with my woman

Up in the air 5/10

Descendants 4/10

One Day 2/10

Bleurgh.

oh yeah, finally watched drive. pretty cool guy/10.

The Descendants - 3/10 - george Clooney is not a good actor. He won me over a litlte bit in movies like Syriana and O Brother but literally every single one of his other movie 'performances' feels like the same performance, almost no dynamic range as an actor whatsoever. Not to mention the plot for the descendants is fucking terrible and not enjoyable. I liked About Schmidt and Election but this movie was a pile of garbage.

Transformers 3 - 1 / 10 - minus the opening scene with the Gradius like transformers space battle this movie was absolutely unwatchable, couldn't get more than 20 minutes in.

Cowbows Vs Aliens - 4/10 - so fucking bad, Harrison Ford seems like he has MS or something ,he just fucking sucks now he cant act at all. If i see Daniel Craig in another movie i'm going to punch something, he's like chiseled face wallpaper. He has absolutely no cinematic presence. The only movie that worked for him was Layer Cake.

Archived