IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

21 Jump Street - funny shit. Liked it much better than Pineapple Express.

Transformers: dark of the moon. pfffft/10

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Dangerous Method - 7/10

I really liked the first hour or so but the last 40 minutes felt really long. It was like watching two people not being able to finish their conversation and then in the end it got embarrassing.

Keira Knightley needs to gain some weight and lose that fake Russian accent.

Exit Through the Gift Shop - dunno, I was looking forward to this but it ended up boring me to death. It was clever, I'll give it that - the idea of taking a "mockumentary" to the extreme, and lampooning the art world and art critics by staging a "phony" show. Unfortunately I couldn't care less about the art world and art critics. Maybe I'm just old, senile, and jaded, but this level of "meta" art doesn't do much for me. Plus the French guy was annoying. Pretty sure all of it was staged retroactively, like they shot all the French guy's stuff recently but slapped old dates on it to give it the doc vibe. Assuming it was all staged, the writing wasn't very good - they didn't make him interesting enough to carry the film. Yeah, so popular art is endlessly regurgitating and consuming itself in a frenzied spiral that makes it difficult to separate good art from bad, what else is new.

I think I do like Banksy...but I might have preferred a straight doc? I had to fight the urge to turn it off several times. 5/10.

Guest Mirezzi

The Thin Blue Line - 10/10

Indeed.

Yeah, Lumpy, 5/10 is harsh, but I can't fault your reasoning. For me, it was more 6.5 out of 10 just because I was entertained, however annoying I found its facile politics.

I really liked the first hour or so but the last 40 minutes felt really long. It was like watching two people not being able to finish their conversation and then in the end it got embarrassing.

I really hate Keira Knightly. She's not acted well in any film I've seen her in. She's got a boring face. A boring life and a boring face. I just hate her.

Guest futuregirlfriend

Keoma - Really bad from start to finish, top to bottom. Recommended.

Can you elaborate please? I have this movie on my hard drive, haven't had the desire to watch it.

It's not that bad, it's just not very good either. It's worth watching for the dubbing, ridiculous lines and atrocious folk soundtrack that will mention parts of the film's story as it happens. Some of it sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger covering discarded Leonard Cohen material.

lockout i don't even know, turned it off about 5 minutes in due to some embarrassingly shitty cgi motorcycle chase scene. i mean fucking hell, it looked like something straight out of some cheap 1995 PC CD-ROM "interactive game" intro. 0/10 i guess.

lol i thought that scene was quite stylish, i even thought they might have done it like that on purpose lol

I watched the entire thing. Filled with offensive attempts at cool one-liners, clichés, chauvinism and not much else. Guy Pearce trying to pull off a John McClane in space. Amazingly it falls flat. 3/10.

I really hate Keira Knightly. She's not acted well in any film I've seen her in. She's got a boring face. A boring life and a boring face. I just hate her.

I would much rather go for Carey Mulligan, but Keira Knightley can be cute. She looked cute in Never Let Me Go... but again, Mulligan outshined her.

Guest zaphod

the thing (2011) - bored shitless by this. turned it off about an hour in. terrible, pointless remake, no tension, no iconic characters or creature design, just uninspired writing and directing. reminded me of the conan movie that came out a bit ago. where the original at least nailed the iconography of frazetta's paintings even if it missed the feel of the books, plus had one of the best scores of any adventure film, the remake was dull and lifeless, inseparable from every other piece of shit that comes out of hollywood. is there a look to films right now? is there anything iconic that's come out in the last decade? i feel like jesse james and there will be blood are the only memorable pieces of american filmmaking to be released in the last five years. i really should take the advice of watmm and stop watching movies. i don't think they're for me.

Guest Mirezzi

the thing (2011) - bored shitless by this. turned it off about an hour in. terrible, pointless remake, no tension, no iconic characters or creature design, just uninspired writing and directing. reminded me of the conan movie that came out a bit ago. where the original at least nailed the iconography of frazetta's paintings even if it missed the feel of the books, plus had one of the best scores of any adventure film, the remake was dull and lifeless, inseparable from every other piece of shit that comes out of hollywood. is there a look to films right now? is there anything iconic that's come out in the last decade? i feel like jesse james and there will be blood are the only memorable pieces of american filmmaking to be released in the last five years. i really should take the advice of watmm and stop watching movies. i don't think they're for me.

WTF, why would you even watch that? lol.

It really is bad, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's saying that these days. If I'm not watching random shit on Vimeo or occasionally YouTube, any film I rent is likely devoid of any artistry. For industry, TV is where it's at...the films, on the other hand, are almost exclusively terrible.

Guest zaphod

i watched it because awepittance posted that it was a decent attempt at a remake. and the original is one of my favorite movies. but yeah, wtf was i thinking. i need to take a break.

Guest Mirezzi

I don't go anywhere near remakes of movies I like. No point.

I did, however, watch The Shining TV series only because I knew how many lols it would induce. Still, I kinda regret that even. Totally fucking disgusting.

I just rented Chronicle and I know I won't like it. Maybe I need a break, too.

Guest Rabid

Keoma - Really bad from start to finish, top to bottom. Recommended.

Can you elaborate please? I have this movie on my hard drive, haven't had the desire to watch it.

It's not that bad, it's just not very good either. It's worth watching for the dubbing, ridiculous lines and atrocious folk soundtrack that will mention parts of the film's story as it happens. Some of it sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger covering discarded Leonard Cohen material.

Thanks lol. I'll probably watch it eventually, I love spaghetti westerns.

Here's my contribution to the thread. I won't bother with all the movies I've seen recently, just the ones I really liked.

Blazing Saddles - 10/10, the scene where Gene Wilder shoots the three bad guys had me laughing forever. Much funnier than Young Frankenstein imo.

Django - 9/10, just a really classic spaghetti western. Ranks up there with the Dollars Trilogy.

Sex and Lucia - 9/10. Was much better than I expected from the title. This movie takes a lot of liberties with linearity and plot and still ends up being both entertaining and thought-provoking. And of course the sex scenes are good too.

The Assassination of Jesse James - 8/10, this is a psychological "western" where there's little action but a lot of character study. I liked it anyway, even though it was paced a little slowly. I thought Casey Affleck and Brad Pitt played their roles well.

The Call of Cthulhu - 7/10, worth watching if you're a Lovecraft fan. Not much to say, but I would've liked to see a similar film made for "The Dunwich Horror".

The Mercenary - 9/10, another classic spaghetti western. I find Franco Nero's character to be hilarious in this.

Trainspotting - 8/10, fuck this movie.

Blade Runner - 6/10 I didn't like it that much, but I know a lot of people here do so I thought I'd insult it. Such a boring film. I would recommend skipping it entirely and just reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", which BR was based on. BR doesn't even have half of the scope that the book does. Or you could watch the last 20 minutes or so, which I thought redeemed the movie a bit. "All these tears will be lost, like moments in the rain..."

Guest zaphod

"All these tears will be lost, like moments in the rain..."

are you watching the engrish version?

it really is a boring fucking movie. revisited it before seeing prometheus and it's basically various examples of amazing art direction and a nice bit of dialogue at the end that gets ruined by a shot of a dove flying off while vangelis brushes his dick against some windchimes and harrison ford looks confused.

it really is a boring fucking movie. revisited it before seeing prometheus and it's basically various examples of amazing art direction and a nice bit of dialogue at the end that gets ruined by a shot of a dove flying off while vangelis brushes his dick against some windchimes and harrison ford looks confused.

quote of the year right here

quote of the year right here

you iz crazy, lumpenprol. I saw Exit Through The Gift Shop at the Sydney Film Festival two years ago and I loved every second of it. it was the funniest thing that year.

What was so funny about it? I got one chuckle, when Bansky said "I used to encourage people to become artists...now, not so much.." or whatever the quote was. The rest of it was insipid, particularly the French dude. I guess I kind of laughed at the blatant recycling of the Warhol Marilyn hair on top of Obama, Clinton, and Britney Spears.

Guest Mirezzi

Chronicle wanted to be some sort of provocative metaphor for the manner in which teenagers in 2012 modulate all social interactions through esteem sensitive self-reflexivity aka. Facebook. Accomplishments, achievements, relationship status, friends or lack thereof, all of it documented and subject to scrutiny by your peers. There's something there, but this script explored none of it.

Instead, it was just an 83 minute tedious pile of shit. Whatever ideological force there may have been to the whole "all this was caught on candid camera!" gimmick was destroyed within 10 minutes as it instead became a terribly distracting plot nuisance.

You'd have to create a new scale to register the annoying factor of the main character. I wanted him to die before the end of the first act.

Archived