IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

chronicle

the cgi isn't totally convincing at points, but who cares. the concept is great, and i liked the story.

best thing since primer / 10

---

looper

this had real potential, but ultimately falls short.

time travel requires a tighter plot than this, you can't just have one handwavy scene to explain it when the entire story revolves around the concept. i like that they tried to show restraint and leave things to the imagination, but that only gets you so far.

also, jgl is wearing too much makeup and it's distracting. bruce willis was completely unnecessary. they should have cast this with unknowns.

the kid was awesome, though.

almost, maybe next time / 10

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looper is fun as hell,

reminded me of a good trashy adaptation of PKD's style,

like Verhoeven with a bad ass computer,

I was entertained as fuck,

some minor flaws,

loved the first and third act,

will go down as one of the more classy sci-fi films,

and I wasn't bothered by JGL's smooshy face,

great cgi work,

amazing cgi on Piper Peraboo's ass,

the hottest Emily Blunt will ever look.

8/10

unlike any of the other movies you mentioned though, it's based on real events isn't it? so it's basically just retelling what happened. but yeah i could've done without some of the scenes aswell.

henry is based on real story and gummo is kinda inspired by a real tornado. but snowtown is still excetionally depressing and terrorising.

anyway, some flicks i saw recently

BRONSON - so much cool visuals but the shtick was so obvious from the first 10min onward. tell us a story, dammit. keep us interested. great ending, though.

THE JEDI TRYLOGY- so i kinda avoided it ever since seing it in the 90s as a kid, but started to feeling like a popculture retard. and i gave it a shot and holy lightsaber batman, this is some great stuff. i can't think of more consistent film trilogy ever. first one is less flashy but more witty and funny so it all levels out. great piece of cinema.

SHE's HAVING A BABY - so after rewatching breakfast club and realising it gets better with time, like a high school version of 12 angry men or something, i gave hughes a shot with other movies that kinda passed me by. and they're all shit. this movie tells a story of kevin bacon being unhappily married and his wife tricking him into having a baby by not telling him she stopped taking birth control. and it all of course ends up with them being happy because unwanted babies always save unhappy couples.

WEIRD SCIENCE - two teenagers make a perfect girl and NOT use her as a sex slave? come on now. plus, again, the teenagers are so fucking sad and lonely THEY MAKE UP A WOMAN TO HAVE SOMEONE TO HANG OUT WITH. this is so depressing and in no way funny.

PLANES TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES - another sad-o-rama trying to be funny. and steve martin and john candy are probably the least funny people on the planet so they ruined his movie for me from the start, so they're no helping.

how can one make the breakfast club and then proceed to only make turds with a short stop for ferris bueller is beyond me.

i saw like 20 more movies this few weeks, and only one hat really stod out were FLETCH (chevy chase cracks me up), LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE (hip drama version of national lampoon's vacation) and LAST NIGHT about the end of the world, which is always something i enjoy.

WEIRD SCIENCE - two teenagers make a perfect girl and NOT use her as a sex slave? come on now. plus, again, the teenagers are so fucking sad and lonely THEY MAKE UP A WOMAN TO HAVE SOMEONE TO HANG OUT WITH. this is so depressing and in no way funny.

lol?

I'm Still Here - flol/10. I have no idea what this is. Lots of funny uncomfortable scenes and lots of dick shots.

Drive - 6/10. Overrated imo. Good soundtrack, Albert Brooks was good, as was Cranston and Gosling [though the character he was given was very strange (possibly autistic? didn't really make sense)]. Lots of style and flash and not enough thought put into the characters and their motivations. Violence was way too jarring. I can understand that they were going for a stark contrast kind of thing, but I just thought it was cartoonishly violent.

PLANES TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES - another sad-o-rama trying to be funny. and steve martin and john candy are probably the least funny people on the planet so they ruined his movie for me from the start, so they're no helping.

Why bother seeing it when the only people in it are "probably the least funny people on the planet"?

Why bother seeing it when the only people in it are "probably the least funny people on the planet"?

well, as i said, i was catching up with john hughes.

chronicle

the cgi isn't totally convincing at points, but who cares. the concept is great, and i liked the story.

best thing since primer / 10

What the hell, Chaos liked Chronicle too?

THE JEDI TRYLOGY- so i kinda avoided it ever since seing it in the 90s as a kid, but started to feeling like a popculture retard. and i gave it a shot and holy lightsaber batman, this is some great stuff. i can't think of more consistent film trilogy ever. first one is less flashy but more witty and funny so it all levels out. great piece of cinema.

wth are you talking about I don't even...I'm going to imagine you're talking about some parodies that stand in the same relationship to Star Wars as Meet the Feebles stands in relationship to the Muppet Show...

snowtown -

kind of wish i hadn't watched this. it's extremely unpleasant. frankly it just seems like a more well made version of August Underground, the Guinea Pig movies, or any of those faux snuff films. not recommended.

it's time you won't get back, and when it's over all you're left with is a really deep feeling of depression. it's like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer or Gummo mixed with Cannibal Holocaust. No redeeming qualities, really. Just disturbing, depraved crap (at its core). Really well made disturbing depraved crap. But not recommended unless you like any of the movies I mentioned.

I felt like that after watching an Austrian (I think) film called 'Funny Games' a few years back. Terribly disturbing and upsetting.

Funny Games is one of my favorite movies. It was a bit more philosophical, and the directing style was nearly at Hitchcock levels of control. But yeah, it was fucked up. Though imo nowhere near Snowtown, because Funny Games had a lot of winks to the camera. In some ways that movie was almost a really, really black comedy.

Not to mention that part of the reason I disliked Snowtown was the thought I put into the topic of "violence in films" after watching Funny Games.

Funny Games is one of my favorite movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0254686/

oh and btw, have you seen this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0459387/

piano teacher is a classic imo. i like all his movies to very high levels except Benny's video. my favorite is Code Unknown with 70 fragments close behind.

I have not seen The Great Ecstasy. the cover looks good.

HANCOCK - surprisingly watchable, but so so for noone at all in the universe. it's way too sad in an unconvential way for average joes and way too underdeveloped to satisfy movie buffs. but it's just so sad. like, it ends on such a down note. very basic, tragic story but in a surprise setting. in 50 years someone will rewrite it to fix all plot holes and make a decent movie out of it,i tell you.

HANCOCK - surprisingly watchable, but so so for noone at all in the universe. it's way too sad in an unconvential way for average joes and way too underdeveloped to satisfy movie buffs. but it's just so sad. like, it ends on such a down note. very basic, tragic story but in a surprise setting. in 50 years someone will rewrite it to fix all plot holes and make a decent movie out of it,i tell you.

written by Vince Gilligan the creator of Breaking Bad. I feel bad that the movie was sort of a misfire. Hopefully if he is involved in another movie it will turn out better

written by Vince Gilligan the creator of Breaking Bad. I feel bad that the movie was sort of a misfire. Hopefully if he is involved in another movie it will turn out better

did not know that, cool. and a bit weird as i got into breaking bad two weeks ago.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 5/10 - i expected to be at least be entertained. The showdown scene in SF was extremely anti climatic. Why would they send in a few police on horses to confront a golden gate bridge full of angry primates? In Occupy oakland there was a bigger presence of militarized police to fight normal people.

the house of the devil - 8/10 proper solid horror movie, great soundtrack too.

also just saw in the credits there is a special thanks to goatse & tubgirl haha

Archived