IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Book of Eli - 6.78/10 - I did enjoy this film quite a lot. I thought the whole plot was excellent and worth doing. I just thought that a few bits could have been a bit more intense. I was hoping I'd see more of Michael Gambon but, oh well.

Also, Mila Kunis!!!

The Master - 9/10. Brilliant. Gets a point deducted for a very strangly underwhelming last 15 minutes or so. Maybe my view of the end will change with repeated viewings.

Yeah the first half > second half... not sure if better than TWBB as a whole, but it might be a more important film.

Saw the Master again today... the ending was much better this time. First viewing I was anticipating a more climatic conclusion. This film is so cerebral, showcasing the distractions society puts forth that can ultimately fool you of your dreams. Nothing is heavy handed and Phoenix does one of the best performances I have seen in a long time. I don't even know what to say about it other than it's unlike any film I know. A masterpiece.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

Bourne Legacy (or whatever the name of the new one is).

I saw it cheap at a 2nd run theater. Totally worth seeing in the theater.

I hadn't seen the last one, and I'm pretty sure I didn't see the one before that one either.

When I saw the first one, I'm pretty sure it had been out for many years and it didn't really hold up, imo... it seemed really "Y2K" in its sensibility )I bet it was better when it was new).

Anyway. The new one was good, considering that I didn't know shit about the franchise, other than Matt Damon lost his memory, which didn't really matter for this story at all.

I didn't really know what a lot of the secondary and tertiary characters where supposed to be doing, but the main story was good. Decent action flick. Jeremy Renner was solid as usual.

There's a really sweet chase scene on a motorcycle.

8/10

i think you might be the exact type of person who will like this film. anyone who knows/likes the francise sees it for the cash-in it is.

i like mark kermode's idea of calling it 'bourne free'

disclaimer i haven't seen it. won't be

Dredd - 7/10 - Except for a few shoddy effects shots they got it right.

The Master - 8/10 - I kinda agree with what a few people have said already. The film loses focus a bit in the second half. I'd like to see it again because upon reflection it feels a bit like a mediocre film with a few great, intense scenes that people will remember. Joaquin should have made that fake documentary after this film. It would have been more believable that this role would put him over the edge. I was tired just watching him work himself up.

Dersu Uzala - 8/10. excellent if a little slow in places. some magnificent shots in this.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - 8/10. some great performances and dialogue in this. That Paul Newman was a good looking fella.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - 6.5/10. A bit shmaltzy but movies from that era tend to be. some of the plot and theme resonated with me in a strange way.

Cabin in the Woods - 9/10

easily pleased huh?

clearly!

im in agreement with awe...great fun in the movie theater...not just the merits of the film as a thing in and of itself, but the theater experience was the best ive had in years, maybe ever.

whatever that new Clint Eastwood movie is, saw it with my ladyfriend, and it was fucking horrible, yet also fucking hilarious in its awfulness

edit: forgot the score, simultaneously a 1/10 and an 8/10.

The Second Renaissance (The Animatrix parts 2 and 3) - 10/10

Perfect. These animated prequels to The Matrix series are beyond cinematic. They are creative works of the highest order, standing as biblical testaments to the power of human imagination.

Not only are they directed with a monumental sense of feeling, they serve as potent warnings about the nature of the human race, and its weaknesses. These two short films manage to capture the fragile qualities of humanity in a way that could never be imitated.

Its atmosphere is simply stunning. The music works with the cinematography in all kinds of subtle ways. But most of all, the stark images used throughout the films are so provocative, so moving, that upon watching it now I actually burst into tears.

If you can appreciate good storytelling, and a message that will stay with you for years to come, watch these. Whether or not you have seen The Matrix films is irrelevant, they are works in their own right.

Cabin In The Woods is so totally fantastic for all it's flaws to receive hate from anyone but bitter people, I watched it a second time and now i am biitter/10.

Killing The Softly 8/10 - not as good as an episode of breaking bad/10. Nothing like breaking bad btw

Archived