IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

The Second Renaissance (The Animatrix parts 2 and 3) - 10/10

Perfect. These animated prequels to The Matrix series are beyond cinematic. They are creative works of the highest order, standing as biblical testaments to the power of human imagination.

Not only are they directed with a monumental sense of feeling, they serve as potent warnings about the nature of the human race, and its weaknesses. These two short films manage to capture the fragile qualities of humanity in a way that could never be imitated.

Its atmosphere is simply stunning. The music works with the cinematography in all kinds of subtle ways. But most of all, the stark images used throughout the films are so provocative, so moving, that upon watching it now I actually burst into tears.

If you can appreciate good storytelling, and a message that will stay with you for years to come, watch these. Whether or not you have seen The Matrix films is irrelevant, they are works in their own right.

Yeah, it's alright.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a lady friend dragged me into seeing "the house at the end of the street"

meh is all i'll say. wouldn't recommend it, but jennifer lawrence panting and sweating kept me interested

Better off watching House On The Edge Of The Park. David Hess shows a bit of range and versatility. He was pretty under-rated.

Two films film I do love which I watched this week are 'The Angel's Share' and 'Cabin In The Woods'.

Kinda dissapointed with 'La Havre' and 'Once Upon A Time in Anatolia', the latter of which moved at a snails pace with no real pay-off. Needed a few explosions, or just something to keep it engaging. It was 2.5 hours. To invest that amount of time in a film you gotta have at least one bomb going off or a fight sequence.

Also kinda looking forward to seeing Paranormal Activity 4 this month. Apparently the demon takes human form this time and speaks to reveal his intentions.

snowtown -

kind of wish i hadn't watched this. it's extremely unpleasant. frankly it just seems like a more well made version of August Underground, the Guinea Pig movies, or any of those faux snuff films. not recommended.

it's time you won't get back, and when it's over all you're left with is a really deep feeling of depression. it's like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer or Gummo mixed with Cannibal Holocaust. No redeeming qualities, really. Just disturbing, depraved crap (at its core). Really well made disturbing depraved crap. But not recommended unless you like any of the movies I mentioned.

unlike any of the other movies you mentioned though, it's based on real events isn't it? so it's basically just retelling what happened. but yeah i could've done without some of the scenes aswell.

Also kinda looking forward to seeing Paranormal Activity 4 this month. Apparently the demon takes human form this time and speaks to reveal his intentions.

this made me lol. What an amazing franchise, if it can have people looking forward to a demon speaking, after 3 films...

this made me lol. What an amazing franchise, if it can have people looking forward to a demon speaking, after 3 films...

Paranormal activity is more about the experience. Seeing it in a packed theatre is actually really fun. Overall, the people sitting next to you are louder and more frightening than anything happening in the movie...

Paper Moon - 8/10

Captivating, heartfelt and darkly funny in equal measure, this 1973 crime drama is one of its kind. It stars Ryan O'Neal and his real-life daughter, Tatum O'Neal. At the mere age of ten, her performance is as sophisticated as any Academy Award winner. Her character is fully realized throughout, as she embodies everything about Addie and the detail of her situation with sheer class.

There are times in which, during unexpected and highly tense moments, she lies to important people. Addie gets nervous at times like these, and anyone could tell she sounds abrupt and unconvincing. How such a young child actor could pull off a complex role like this - pretending to be bad at pretending - is simply breathtaking.

The atmosphere of the film is very interesting indeed. We see a lot of dirty doings, given the second lead is a con artist. This gives the film a rich, darkly comic edge. At the same time, however, the relationship between Moze and Addie has a lot of warmth. It's clear they love each other, and through all their shenanigans, that familiar feeling of togetherness is always there.

It's a very unique approach. While many moments in the film use black comedy (and are a little risky by today's standards...) it still manages to be sweet and heartfelt. There are times you'll laugh out loud, there are times some of you will tear up, but that combination of light and dark is present every step of the way.

Watch it if you like a good film. And enjoy what you can, they certainly won't let a kid smoke on camera again. Not for a while.

edit: character entities, what is this 2004?

snowtown -

kind of wish i hadn't watched this. it's extremely unpleasant. frankly it just seems like a more well made version of August Underground, the Guinea Pig movies, or any of those faux snuff films. not recommended.

it's time you won't get back, and when it's over all you're left with is a really deep feeling of depression. it's like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer or Gummo mixed with Cannibal Holocaust. No redeeming qualities, really. Just disturbing, depraved crap (at its core). Really well made disturbing depraved crap. But not recommended unless you like any of the movies I mentioned.

They had to show a little gore but compared to what really happened to all those victims I think it went pretty soft. Read on wikipedia for more info. These murders were freaking nasty and brutal and just... damn. The movie captures this bad feeling pretty well. Not enjoyable movie for sure, but it doesn't want to be.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

the lady vanishes

enjoyed. i liked the idea that you do not know which lady will vanish.

diamonds are forever

not a great bond. not sure why. the dubbing was awful for some reason

Dpek, yeah, you're right, i think the violence was pretty restrained in comparison to what actually happened.

Scorcho is right when he compares it to Henry, it has the same grim feeling of dread throughout and doesn't spell too much out with the characters motivation. I did find the film kinda confusing in parts, mainly to do with the answer phone messages Bunting made his victims leave, got a few characters mixed up. Also, given how much of a monster Bunting was, he showed the gay paedophile amazing leniency at the beginning... I guess he didn't want to make too much of a crazy first impression.

On a lighter note, anyone seen 'The Tall Man' yet? I can't make my mind up about it. Very well made, with the same kinda three act structure as Martyrs, loaded with twists and turns, but ends with a very confusing message. Infact its not a message, it's a dilemma. Dunno.

snowtown -

I felt like that after watching an Austrian (I think) film called 'Funny Games' a few years back. Terribly disturbing and upsetting.

Looper - 8/10 ok, actual wow. Complete surprise. Originally just looked stupid but was really well executed. VERY entertaining movie. Will see again.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

loved brick. saw brothers bloom but must have been very forgettable. will be seeing looper soon

Looper - 8/10 ok, actual wow. Complete surprise. Originally just looked stupid but was really well executed. VERY entertaining movie. Will see again.

Yeah, I just watched it too. It was fantastic. I'll be getting this on blu-ray when it comes out. I really enjoyed it. I'd give it a 9/10.

Archived