IGNORED

WATMM 1998-2005

kakapo

Myself and some of the other senior members of watmm have been in discussion recently over the current state of the board and the steps we can take to restore some of the old majesty. We're currently waiting on the green light from Joyrex for our proposals, so I'll guess there'll be news regarding this in the next few days. In the meantime I thought we should have a thread to share some of our old memories, and to also point out some things to some of the newer and younger members who are pehaps not aware of the history of this place.

- We all know the story about Joyrex describing Drukqs as 'quite good'. But are you aware that the release was put back 12 months after Joyrex described the original draft sent to him by Richard as, "a bit shit, a bit like Venetian Snares, but not as good."

- MHTRTC originally sold only 5,000 copies in the first six months of release and was universally ridiculed as a Plaid rip off until a widely syndicated piece by Sinicalyptical Cunt changed the critical consensus practically overnight. It has now sold over 16 million copies worldwide, and ushered in the golden age of IDM.

- Godfather of IDM Trent Reznor regularly posts here under a pseudonym. I don't want to out him, but I will say, Hi tht! tne.

- The release of the Flashbulb album "These Open Fields" in 2001 brought a record 250,000 individual visitors to the site in one day. The album anticipation thread evenutually ran to over 700 pages.

- 'tidbit' is one of the most respected academic voices in the field of electonic music today. His work, 'From Texas to Tycho: derivative post-colonial IDM in the Americas' is considered a modern masterpiece of music writing.

- We had a better class of IDM messageboard groupie in my day. Octave Kitten was at least an 8/10, and she'd let you have a go on her. Not sure about the current crop at all.

- The BOC paedophile scandal, and ~ism's investigative jounalism that did actually prove they were kiddie fiddlers.*

- Who could forget Essines constant baiting of Skytree as an emasculated hippie that cumulated in Skytree gettng pissed up one night, daubing a swazstika on his sleeping girlfriend's forehead, spunking on her face, and posting the resultant video in the 'latest releases' thread. Still available on Kazaa if anyones interested.

So come on you lot, let's hear some stories for old times sake.

*This bit isn't actually true.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mirezzi

kakapo used to think I was a Geordie because in a previous life, I was a Newcastle United fan...I still support them, but it sure as fuck isn't easy.

Guest abusivegeorge

This is an awesome thread, amazing news about tht tne!, had no idea! And lol at the Skytree fiasco.

Also I wish tidbit would post more productively if this is the case.

No hate there, just saying, seems like an interesting guy.

where have you been discussing this? is there a secret hidden board for senior members? i'm a senior member feeling rather left out right now.

i have so many wonderful memories, but i was so high that i can't really remember many. they are here somewhere though.

i remember being theo's msn buddy then 'falling out' over something, then proceeding to 'fight' with him on a daily basis....

i remember perving over octave kitten's photos, and laughing at od's stories about taking drugs.

Guest tidbit

it would only be possible if i knew more english words

it would only be possible if i knew more english words

can't you just download an upgrade or something, turdbot?

Guest Rambo

i remember back in '02, where if you'd wet the bed the previous night, you could come on here and be like "hey guys - pissed myself last night" and everyone would be like "lol" and you could just take it from there, you know?

I'd be like "shat all over myself" and everyone would be all "rofl" and "lol" and then we'd get high and talk about films. It was different feel, it was milky.

Guest Rambo

also, the Spring '01 crash where no-one could get on for about 3 hrs so we logged onto messenger and i remember Fred in particular was like "wtf" and i was in complete agreement with him. I didn't type anything but it was obvious i was just as confused as him, who wouldn't be? lol it was mad.

yeah except you're in your prime these days brother rambo so that's the good thing about 2009 watmm

*quiet hi 5*

Archived