3 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Among the myriad of Marvel & Star Wars announcements,  Disney is doing an Alien TV series for FX set on Earth “in the near future”

2C0801CF-DCBB-4C15-B5B4-AC2F73CE5287.png

Cool! Though so many Alien stories are really centred around preventing the aliens from reaching Earth. Especially a lot of Dark Horse comic stuff (set much farther into the future than the brief synopsis for this TV series implies) which raises the question of how this is going to fit into canon. Maybe some secretive Weyland-Yutani facility outbreak or similar... I'll watch it regardless. Pretty keen for an Alien TV show.

38 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Among the myriad of Marvel & Star Wars announcements,  Disney is doing an Alien TV series for FX set on Earth “in the near future”

2C0801CF-DCBB-4C15-B5B4-AC2F73CE5287.png

Noah Hawley is doing the Alien series.. he did fargo and Legion (legion is weirdly awesome) 

I finally saw Alien Covenant... it was a good pandemic movie. i mean.. some good bits but again shit the bed w/the script. such dumb unrealistic science stuff and characters so dumb. 

I like catherine waterson though.. long neck and all.. She's a great hippie weirdo in Inherent Vice which i've rewatched a couple of times and loved more each time. amazing story and juaquin phoenix is amazing in it. 

Covenant.. jesus.. "hey big idea.. let's go down to the totally alien planet no one's ever been to and not wear full protocol hazmat level space suit shit.. and we'll romp around in the mud and stuff.. let's also not do a few fly bys at different times of day and scan for life forms and take pictures for recon.. and i think when down there' i'm gonna go for a swim and maybe step on magic mystery spores.. why not.. sounds like fun.. what could go wrong??"

awesome.. we have a plan then. sweet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kid Lukie said:

Cool! Though so many Alien stories are really centred around preventing the aliens from reaching Earth. Especially a lot of Dark Horse comic stuff (set much farther into the future than the brief synopsis for this TV series implies) which raises the question of how this is going to fit into canon. Maybe some secretive Weyland-Yutani facility outbreak or similar... I'll watch it regardless. Pretty keen for an Alien TV show.

yeah, the AVP movies being set on Earth sorta assumes they're outside of canon, i guess? basically comic books thrown onto a movie screen so that makes sense...lol. 

i'm very worried about how they're planning on making it 'set on Earth' especially in the near future, yeah...i mean, the original Alien and then Prometheus are only set about 100 years from now so i guess that tracks, but they're constantly retconning/revising things in this universe, apparently. would be a lot cooler seeing it set in some space stations in the solar system maybe, where you've still got the fear of constantly being just one ship ride from letting it loose on all of Earth but still got the claustrophobia of space with the constant W-Y corporate interests driving things because they've gotta be funding most of the stations and travel/etc. idk anyway, looking forward to this but also pretty cautious. heard Fargo and Legion are good but never seen them myself so...

I have the feeling too many executive jackasses are involved in these projects. Dump them and get some Mavericks involved and create something totally unique. I don’t understand with such grade A plutonium source material so many terrible films have been made. It’s a bit fucking weird to be honest.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 3

On 12/12/2020 at 6:19 AM, Kid Lukie said:

You know what I fear most of this? An alien queen stomping the streets of LA or NY or smthng

Like t-rex in Lost World

even having a xenomorph hive in the NY undertunnels small-jawing some poor bums living there would be nothing short of catastrophic.
Just leave the poor homeless people alone pls, the world fucked them enough.

Spoiler

but upper class snob writers will go "hahaha, fuck that bum, look at this awesome alien, fuck poor people in general, we're rich. everyone should be rich, or die trying!

I bet a crate of beer that this will happen;

poor, bland script, politically correct, just enough story development to copyright it (but bland enough so nothing really happens) with VSCO neo color tinting camera work, rising star actors frowning in close-up, and an alien brooding on top of some sky scrapper, looking down into the city lights, hissing, etc...

• Like 2

OR

a top secret military installation, more secret than area51, more secret than ever, even the illuminati doesn't know about it, drilled into solid granite, guarded with state-of-the-art tech and guns, cocky scientists doing experiments, arrogant suits running the show (and they've done it for years), eventually fucking everything up so shit hits the fan. throw in some hot love interest, a ex-SOF that knows how to handle the xenos, an android prototype having buggy software.... and you have yourself a Disney series

Having Noah Hawley on board is what gets me stoked. Having just recently finished Legion (which I loved go pieces, though def some weak points here and there) I can't quite imagine what he'd do with an Alien spinoff - which is what is exciting. 

Cautiously optimistic bc come on you could shit in a blender full of used tampons and it'd be more palatable than Alien Covenant

• Like 2

On 12/14/2020 at 6:58 AM, beerwolf said:

I have the feeling too many executive jackasses are involved in these projects. Dump them and get some Mavericks involved and create something totally unique. I don’t understand with such grade A plutonium source material so many terrible films have been made. It’s a bit fucking weird to be honest.

I'm not a big film guy but I hear the bigger the budget of a movie the more there are people that have control of it... So much less creative control for a director.

17 hours ago, yekker said:

I'm not a big film guy but I hear the bigger the budget of a movie the more there are people that have control of it... So much less creative control for a director.

I have no doubt you are absolutely correct.

I've enjoyed all the stuff Noah Hawley's been involved with so I'm game with whatever he does with Alien. It's not like it could be worse that with the brilliant Sir Ridley has done lately. (not that I mind the Prometheus thing, they are alright good looking scifi)

Aliens on Earth is about as glaring noob mistake as it gets with this franchise. Page me if a Ridley-helmed Covenant sequel pops up, otherwise Disney era is a skip from me.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This could be jazz but I found this excellent Alien channel on YouTube. There’s plenty to go through (never knew about the lost Burke cocoon scene). This clip was interesting where all the Alien 5 artwork and speculations are gathered

• Like 3

On 9/1/2021 at 4:40 AM, Rubin Farr said:

William Gibson’s first Alien 3 screenplay is being released as a novel in September. This is a different Gibson screenplay from the one used for the Dark Horse graphic novel from 2018

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/william-gibson-unused-alien-3-script-novel

65CE1898-875A-4645-B020-94A6F0DE8202.jpeg

The Audible show they did for Gibson's script is quite good, Michael Biehn and Lance Henriksen both star. 

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Alien-III-Audiobook/B07QY1FVDT?ipRedirectOverride=true&source_code=M2M30DFT1Bk13006152102O6&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1ouKBhC5ARIsAHXNMI-60Sl8G3pWhNLgcWiYN7kTEk6CSmEcrZsrVXg309Lpk53BHeMVBc8aAkIuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 2

It’s rare to read a comment section on YouTube where everyone agrees with each other, but I think it’s unanimous that everyone wants Alien 5 to be made. The ideas look excellent. Newt and Hicks deaths never did them justice. Ridley Scott stopping this being made is just another travesty along with travesty that is Alien Covenant. Prick. 

3 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

It’s rare to read a comment section on YouTube where everyone agrees with each other, but I think it’s unanimous that everyone wants Alien 5 to be made. The ideas look excellent. Newt and Hicks deaths never did them justice. Ridley Scott stopping this being made is just another travesty along with travesty that is Alien Covenant. Prick. 

I've felt for a long time that his list of crimes outweigh his successes. 

• Like 2

Blomkaps Alien thing sounded stupid as fuck. Blomkap is shit anyway. fuck the shmaltzy Newt and Hicks alternate wannabe crap…grow up, this is the goddamned Alien universe: people fucking die. and personally i love Alien 3, any film trying to negate that would be lame. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, auxien said:

fuck the shmaltzy Newt and Hicks

I like Alien 3, great cast - Charles Dance especially - though it gets whack at the end with Michael Bishop Weyland and the style of Ripley's death (IMO) Tonally matches the first film, but feels out of place after Aliens. The studio fucked the franchise long before Ridley Scott took two prolonged shits over everything. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2