Watched Aliens again this weekend. Yes, it's fun. But I realized that I see the first Alien as completely separate from the franchise. I don't need any explanations, lore, backstory, or fan-fiction to enjoy the first one. It is perfect as it is, as a self-enclosed horror story about something that is fundamentally inexplicable, something that is ALIEN in every possible way. Aliens did a good move by shifting the tone and genre, but it's somewhat lame to suddenly see these creatures just blown to pieces by guns.

• Like 3
  • Big Brain 1

13 hours ago, Pirtek said:

Nightmare Asylum was easily the best story with amazing art by Den Beauvais.

I've been thinking of getting myself Nightmare Asylum, but reading about the story kind of threw me off... idk if the first three Alien movies made such a grand impression on me that all story adaptations featuring growing and training aliens and bringing them to Earth (or just general Xenos on Earth) kind of rubs me the wrong way. To me, they belong to the space where no one can hear you scream :rdjgrin: the one novel that was truly terrifying was the Dr. Church's survival inside the alien Hive. I think it was called Alien: Labyrinth (maybe I remember wrong). God, that story is overwhelming horror.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cichlisuite said:

the one novel that was truly terrifying was the Dr. Church's survival inside the alien Hive. I think it was called Alien: Labyrinth (maybe I remember wrong). God, that story is overwhelming horror.

👍👍

• 2 months later...
On 8/28/2023 at 10:23 AM, BlockUser said:

Watched Aliens again this weekend. Yes, it's fun. But I realized that I see the first Alien as completely separate from the franchise. I don't need any explanations, lore, backstory, or fan-fiction to enjoy the first one. It is perfect as it is, as a self-enclosed horror story about something that is fundamentally inexplicable, something that is ALIEN in every possible way. Aliens did a good move by shifting the tone and genre, but it's somewhat lame to suddenly see these creatures just blown to pieces by guns.

Completely agree with you. As much as I like Aliens, nothing comes close the first film. A masterpiece and in my all time top ten.

• Like 2

I think they're both perfectly complimentary with perfect casting and script and to continue the lifecycle schema of the alien was the clincher

(its ALL of these things that every other film got really really wrong)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, dcom said:

Fede Alvarez's Alien: Romulus trailer; also, Noah Hawley (of Fargo series fame) is working on an Alien series.

Haha, come on, man. That trailer is beyond fake and full of AI generated faces and the sound clips like crazy.

image.png

30 minutes ago, Squee said:

Haha, come on, man. That trailer is beyond fake and full of AI generated faces and the sound clips like crazy.

Yeah, I noticed from the font used, didn't really pay attention. Fake AF, but the project seems to be real, not necessarily called Romulus, though. I don't get it, these "concept" trailers are becoming more and more commonplace, what's the effin' point? Traffic driving for ad money? But yeah, I was def sloppy there.

Edited by dcom

On 11/28/2023 at 10:25 AM, Pirtek said:

Completely agree with you. As much as I like Aliens, nothing comes close the first film. A masterpiece and in my all time top ten.

Same. In my top 10 too. Aliens is somewhere in the top 25 but the first one had such an impact on me when I was young that it left an indelible mark on my soul that hasn't ever left. And never will. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

i enjoyed this. so glad he did a little bit of "the scientists are so stupid" about prometheus... and also alien covenant.  jfc. the stupidity. 

• Like 3