IGNORED

Does anyone else find Incunabula underwhelming?

sergeantk

I used to be all about this album but the more I listen to the rest of Autechre's discog, the more I think this one pales in comparison. A couple of the tracks are outstanding but a lot just sounds like filler to me :shrug:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ruiagnelo

i love it just as i love all their other records, because i can listen to them without making comparisons, as they are so different

Yep, but they were in the process of figuring things out when they made it (not that an artist ever completely leaves that place, they were just really at the beginning stages of it then). It was a necessary step in their musical evolution. Chiastic Slide is where things begin to get interesting for me.

Oh yeah it's horribly boring... The only tracks I really like are the first 2 and 444... I never really listen to this album.

444 is a song I wanna play at my wedding if I ever got married. If by some miracle I found a woman who understood why (neeeeeeever gonna happen).

i think most of the tracks are just too long. bike for example, is really great, but just doesn't have enough variation (or beauty in repetition) to be worthy of an 8 minute playing time.

eggshell and doctrine are fucking excellent all the way through though.

the album sounds less dated to me than Amber does and a hell of a lot of other 'artificial intelligence' style music namely polygon window, F.U.S.E. and a bunch of other warp favorites from that era.

the opening 3 tracks to Incunabla still to this day is the best opening song block of any AE album that i enjoy

I actually really like Incunabula, probably because my dad doesn't mind it among all that is in the IDDUMS genre.

Basscadet is awesome as is Eggshell.

Bike, Bronchus 2, Eggshell & Windwind are my favs off of this. Bronchus 2 with that deep aquaticness sounds like it could have been on Quaristice. 444 sounds too much like Aphex Twin - Heliosphan for me to take seriously.

Not quite as good as Amber, and not nearly as intricate as their later stuff. But these albums were Autechres baby steps after all.

Incunabula is clearly their most underrated album. Compared to their later albums, it's crap. There's no denying that, and that's why it's underrated. But compare it to all other music, stuff that isn't as tremendously good as Autechre. Now it seems like a better album, no? It's still an incredible album, it's just not as good as the rest of Ae's work, which sets the bar insanely high.

I listened to incunablua for the first time in over 10 years about a week ago. It's a great album, but far from my fav AE... Lowride hasn't aged well though.

Archived