IGNORED

Dave Monolith - Welcome

Redruth

Remember the bitching after releasing Drukqs?

Are you fucking kidding me? You're honestly comparing this to Drukqs, and you're accusing people disappointed with Welcome of trolling?

Drukqs: timeless, intricate, beautiful, still holding up like it was new after 10 years

Welcome: basic, fun for a laugh and bit of dancing, already sounded dated on the day it was released.

It's not like Welcome is going to sound better with time, so that is totally ridiculous.

Listen kids, I wasn't comparing records. I was comparing behavior: the bitching right after the release of drukqs. And specifically the behavior you punks are displaying in this thread. Now please get on with your lives, because I really don't have the time to listen to your whining about this record anymore.

Listen kids, I wasn't comparing records. I was comparing behavior: the bitching right after the release of drukqs. And specifically the behavior you punks are displaying in this thread. Now please get on with your lives, because I really don't have the time to listen to your whining about this record anymore.

The behavior comparison is irrelevant unless you're comparing the records, because you could have said that it was like people being disappointed about the new Radiohead album, or any such situation where there was disappointment for a release that a lot of people were apprehensive about. You chose three brilliant, initially misunderstood releases by RDJ though, which, whether you intended it to or not, is saying that this is on the same level.

I don't blame Monolith by any means, because he is talented in his own way, and he doesn't deserve this. It's Rephlex's fault that it's been received this way, and Rephlex's alone. They set it up as a big release, put it out near the end of the year in an extremely sparse year, and it just wasn't good enough to stand up to the pressure.

Edited by ganus

Guest ruiagnelo

I don't blame Monolith by any means, because he is talented in his own way, and he doesn't deserve this. It's Rephlex's fault that it's been received this way, and Rephlex's alone. They set it up as a big release, put it out near the end of the year in an extremely sparse year, and it just wasn't good enough to stand up to the pressure.

i thought music alone could stand for itself so that its effect on people would not depend on external pressures or false expectactions, labels or media influences.

maybe you should review the way you see music, because i am sure you already know the way you hear it.

edit: oh, and blaming rephlex... most ridiculous argument of this thread

Edited by ruiagnelo

I enjoy the music totally aside from all this BS. When I hear the album, I don't think about it's release, this thread, etc etc. It's just, IMO both below Monolith's and below Rephlex's standards, and a bit shallow overall.

Also, Rephlex has been managed absolutely horribly this year, and I don't see how it's anyone else's fault. If you'd like to expand on your statement, I'd be interested to hear why you think they're free of blame.

Guest ruiagnelo

I enjoy the music totally aside from all this BS. When I hear the album, I don't think about it's release, this thread, etc etc. It's just, IMO both below Monolith's and below Rephlex's standards, and a bit shallow overall.

Also, Rephlex has been managed absolutely horribly this year, and I don't see how it's anyone else's fault. If you'd like to expand on your statement, I'd be interested to hear why you think they're free of blame.

someone should kick Rephlex hard on the balls, at least for not updating the webpage. the label isn't actually getting the best management, but aside from that, i just thought i should point out that it is not fair to relate that to the quality (or lack of it) of their releases, at least with this new LP by Monolith.

it seemed to me that you were coldly and unfarily condemning the record

Edited by ruiagnelo

I dunno, it seems like some of you guys think Rephlex has a marketing research department where they should plan a release schedule around a level of hype and consumer interest which has been quantified by months of surveys and data mining. When Richard is around, they'll get crafty and shrewd, but they're really just a fun little electronic label with a cult following. It's definitely just a few guys in a small office space that work another job as well. They have a good enough reputation though, if they wanted to be bigger, then they would be.

I think this release is decent. Good for car rides, loud. A few of these tracks are as good as the EP. The others sound older. Rephlex.

god damn... this was not the response i was expecting. i absolutely love the album. not only do i think it far exceeds the ep he released, but i feel as though it really stands on its own as a solid release (and i've been mulling over it since it came out). certainly a contender for my favorite album this year.

it's certainly a release that shows heavy aphex/rephlex influence, but has a great many truly charming moments.

edit for clarity: you lot are insane

Edited by bigs

god damn... this was not the response i was expecting. i absolutely love the album. not only do i think it far exceeds the ep he released, but i feel as though it really stands on its own as a solid release (and i've been mulling over it since it came out). certainly a contender for my favorite album this year.

it's certainly a release that shows heavy aphex/rephlex influence, but has a great many truly charming moments.

THIS. Also, even if you don't care for the songs, the synthesis is brilliant.

wow, not checked in a while but Monolith album still in top 3 threads in new releases...? somthin goin on here, yo!

and i'm down wit dat shiat.

The behavior comparison is irrelevant unless you're comparing the records, because you could have said that it was like people being disappointed about the new Radiohead album, or any such situation where there was disappointment for a release that a lot of people were apprehensive about. You chose three brilliant, initially misunderstood releases by RDJ though, which, whether you intended it to or not, is saying that this is on the same level.

Let's talk again in a couple of years and then decide how relevant your current 'insights' are.

And what makes you think that Rephlex set it up as a big release? Have I missed some billboards? Commercials? They must be marketing wizards having no cash to spend on marketing, but having people to believe their releases are big anyways. Brilliant work. Perhaps they're being run by the holy Steve Jobs. In stores soon: the new iRephlex. I have no idea what it does other than giving you some sense of being ridiculed.

Let's talk again in a couple of years and then decide how relevant your current 'insights' are.

And what makes you think that Rephlex set it up as a big release? Have I missed some billboards? Commercials? They must be marketing wizards having no cash to spend on marketing, but having people to believe their releases are big anyways. Brilliant work. Perhaps they're being run by the holy Steve Jobs. In stores soon: the new iRephlex. I have no idea what it does other than giving you some sense of being ridiculed.

You really are taking this thread personally aren't you.