IGNORED

Dave Monolith - Welcome

Redruth

Guest jasondonervan

This thread? Surprisingly tl;dr (well, I sort of did read some of it).

This album? Enjoyable. It might have been hailed as greater had tracks from the Volume 1 12" been held back for it (without prior knowledge of said tracks), but otherwise it's a solid enough listen and scratches the Rephlexian itch I get every now and then. As others have said, 'Farewell Frenchman' is quite lush - finely distilled machine funk that you could easily imagine Turbo from Breakin' busting out his broom for. And props on the artwork for going all BBCSoft.

[arbitrary figure/10]

Edited by jasondonervan

• 4 weeks later...

Just got this in the mail today lol fuck america or bleep or whatever. i ordered it 5 weeks ago.

music is fun. I like it. Most irritating thing about this release is the TERRIBLE pixelation on the album artwork. come on guys. not to mention the shitty printing too. just looks so unprofessional, but that's the rephlex vibe these days.

First 3 tracks im like "yeah ok this is starting off well, whats he gonna do next?"

Tracks 4-7 im all like "man, he's got a couple of good ideas, but each track is basically the same"

Then towards the end im like "ok so theres a few new things going on but I lost interest somewhere and I cant quite pinpoint where"

Its exhausting listening, but not in a good way.

First 3 tracks im like "yeah ok this is starting off well, whats he gonna do next?"

Tracks 4-7 im all like "man, he's got a couple of good ideas, but each track is basically the same"

Then towards the end im like "ok so theres a few new things going on but I lost interest somewhere and I cant quite pinpoint where"

yeah, that's exactly how I feel. I was enjoying it to begin with, but if you were to ask me what the last few tracks sound like, I could not tell you, because after hearing the same thing over and over again, I just started to tune it out.

Just got this in the mail today lol fuck america or bleep or whatever. i ordered it 5 weeks ago.

music is fun. I like it. Most irritating thing about this release is the TERRIBLE pixelation on the album artwork. come on guys. not to mention the shitty printing too. just looks so unprofessional, but that's the rephlex vibe these days.

i think the first time i realized that rephlex's graphic department just did not give a shit was when i got Acceptable Side Effects, it has some of the funniest slap-dash pixelated photoshop collaging i've ever seen

i think the first time i realized that rephlex's graphic department just did not give a shit was when i got Acceptable Side Effects, it has some of the funniest slap-dash pixelated photoshop collaging i've ever seen

1302679473_folder.jpeg

I couldn't be more w/ you on this entire post. Ordered the thing like 2 weeks before new year. UK mail is so horrendous during the holiday that it didn't show up for a FUCKING MONTH.

And even if Rephlex was going for the pixelated 8bitty look, it was a bad choice because no one is going to get that or care. In reality it just looks cheap.

Music wise, it's burrowing it's way into my brain, like i have those songs stuck in my head all the time...and all that after I was quite a bit less impressed w/ it upon first listen. I was kinda disappointed but it's actually pretty hot.

lol yes I forgot. But that's like so bad it (sort of) comes around, but like SPD2 said, it's just pixelated, not a "pixelated" style choice. And besides, if the whole idea of the artwork was like 70's/80's throwback, they should try for a shitty non-digital printing effect. GAHHH

Quite a few times I've found myself in the record store, WANTING to WANT to buy a Rephlex release, but being turned off by the lazy and cheap artwork.

Once again Fletch I agree with you. Sums it up for me too. A big dissapointment for me, the cd has been gathering dust for many weeks now, Shame because the first track kills.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like the cover, if only it i didn't look like I printed it off my deskjet. And no credits, no notes, no nothin'. When did people stop thanking their friends and shit when they put out a record?

Maybe Dave Monolith is a loner, a rebel, a soldier forever waging a solitary, internal war... his only goal

IS TO SURVIVE

W E L C O M E

Starring

Jeff Fahey as Dave Monolith

Adrienne Barbeau

and Treat Williams as the Frenchman

Directed by Jim Wynorski

Coming to video Summer 1987

Edited by baph

I've never seen so much moaning in all my life.

Then you haven't been to the BoC subforum as of late. : D

The thread that just got deleted there was some twisted shit, I tell you.

Edit: It was so bad that the mere mention of it will get your post deleted, apparently.

Edited by Candiru

Have you tried a little foreplay? And what's wrong with a kiss, boy? You don't have to go leaping for the clitoris like a bull out of the gate.

photo-4335.jpg

Edited by baph

Have you tried a little foreplay? And what's wrong with a kiss, boy? You don't have to go leaping for the clitoris like a bull out of the gate.

photo-4335.jpg

Lol! Oh, Cleese. You get me every time.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like the cover, if only it i didn't look like I printed it off my deskjet.

This. The sleeve looks so amateurish it hurts. But I guess it's all about the music, not the context of it.

Speaking of which, the album really grew on me.

On my first listen I was like "Hmm this is overall good. Not all the tracks are great and some sound like the Tuss but anyway... :happy: "

2nd listen : "Yeah fuck it, sounds like RDJ gave him 2 synths plus a drum machine, it's not that interesting :dry: ."

3rd listen : "Wait a minute :mellow: ".

4th : "Hey they're some great ideas in there ! Me likey ! :w00t: "

5th : "WOOHOOOWHWOOHWOWOWHOHWOW !!!!! :music: :music: :music: :music: "

Edited by StocKo