IGNORED

Dave Monolith - Welcome

Redruth

I can't help to think that this album was finished 3 years ago and Rephlex have been holding it for all this while.

I will hold judgment on Dave because i love his debut EP, his second album will bring a more mature Monolith.

I can't help to think that this album was finished 3 years ago and Rephlex have been holding it for all this while.

I will hold judgment on Dave because i love his debut EP, his second album will bring a more mature Monolith.

Zunker is from 2008. Farewell Frenchman is from AT LEAST the time that Mike Paradinas mix came out (summer 2010?).

a lot of the music coming out recently sounds like early Madonna without the vocals, the sound of digital multitrack circa '81 and the slew of black studio musicians adding funky hooks. Still, Im not complaining

but in all seriousness, the only reason some of you see this as a disaster/bad album is that you don't actually listen to monolith much or you expected something groundbreaking. You guys created this hype on your own, a lot of the shit on this album probably predates his vol. 1 material. It is what it is, monolith is just some random guy that you guys pysched yourselves up about and now you feel let down. The only reason you feel let down is because you are an idiots, you let yourselves down. This is just some tunes on a record god dammit.

furthermore comparing it to the tuss and basing your opinion on the quality of it by trying to hold it up to some made-up standards is completely fucking retarded.

check out some stuff on his soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/dave-monolith

i agree with you.

for me is very simple: if there was no Tuss, and thus no comparison reference, this album would be watmm's release of the decade.

I don't even know if I would go that far. All I am saying is, if it sucks, then why can't people stop talking about it for 22 pages. I think it is pretty decent, album of the decade absolutely not. It's not like this is squarepusher releasing shobaleader one, it is some guy we have barely heard of that finally released a full length album and it is okay, why do half the people here have to flip their shit about it like it is new aphex or something.

the album has warmed to me a bit more after the third play through.

I am not comparing it to tuss, analord or anything else... Just taking it for what it is. So in short: there are some nice tunes, some very engaging moments, but also some run of the mill moments that hold the album back somewhat.

As has already been said, looking forward to the next dave monolith release, as long as it does not take 3 years to make and 3 years to release.

I don't even know if I would go that far. All I am saying is, if it sucks, then why can't people stop talking about it for 22 pages. I think it is pretty decent, album of the decade absolutely not. It's not like this is squarepusher releasing shobaleader one, it is some guy we have barely heard of that finally released a full length album and it is okay, why do half the people here have to flip their shit about it like it is new aphex or something.

I wasn't one of the people who really panned it, but I am disappointed with it. I realize it's not some huge artist or anything, but I think the reason that people are so disappointed with it is because it's Rephlex's big release this year, in a year with very little coming from the label. In that position, I don't think it's nearly as good as it should be.

Guest W32MyDoom

i swear i heard synth sound of analord 11 track one ( my doom) in one of these tracks

really hearing it in the track 'symphonic flash' off volume 1

a lot of the music coming out recently sounds like early Madonna without the vocals

i was thinking exactly this yesterday whilst out and about and heard madonna's "who's that girl?" playing in some clothes store. take out the vocals, speed it up a bit and it's pretty monolith!:

[youtubehd]MNEoYiogf5A[/youtubehd]

Played this a few times now (maybe 6 times) and it isn't all that. Very average.

In fact if you start the Lego Feet cd track 4, about 1min 50sec in. They do a better job of it and that was a million years ago!

Edited by beerwolf

Guest hard jam ciders

a lot of the music coming out recently sounds like early Madonna without the vocals

i was thinking exactly this yesterday whilst out and about and heard madonna's "who's that girl?" playing in some clothes store. take out the vocals, speed it up a bit and it's pretty monolith!:

WTG3.mp3

lol, cool

bangin

(the file hardjam posted)

Edited by thief

I really like the release.

lol. having emotion and good melodies isn't something unique to afx. my main problem is the music not having any personality. when I hear the tracks, including the ones I really enjoy, I always think "this sounds like __ and __ mixed together" or "this sounds like (aphex/tuss/+10/dmx krew track) but different" and so on, and do not get any kind of personal connection to the music.

You could say the same for every single musician, including the ones that are known for having "his sound". For example: Take Burial: To me it sounds like an EL-B clone with Massive Attack type of production and vinyl crackle samples on top. As you can see, you can deconstruct everything into other stuff. Including Aphex's music, specially his early stuff.

As for "Brian Tregaskin"'s posts, just the typical case of the kid that never got his stuff signed by anyone, secretly wanting to be in Rephlex and passing jealously as subjective critique.