IGNORED

Steinvord Speculation

YELLOW

i could see some samples and techniques being the same, but i dont see any structural crossovers between the two.

its an interesting track because it has different grooves at different speeds. with the normal speed version, the part with the most solid grove is 3:35 to 5:00. this becomes the first half of a 4 minute ambient noise segment in the 61% speed version. 3:20 to 5:45 of the 61% speed version has an awesome groove and progression, but in the normal version it is spastic and rushing past. also, the first minute of the 61% speed version sounds like the windowlicker intro, but in the normal speed version it's like a drumset falling down a hill on jupiter, which i also love.

Edited by very honest

• 2 weeks later...
Isn't Maelstrom just a remix of My Fucking Sound ?

that's what it always sounded like to me, or at least something made with a very similar sound template including all the weird spectral glitched out reverb bursts

after a few more listens …..while i find it technically appealing and all of the classic IDM tropes in place the whole thing feels cold,

lacking that extra emo grease

i can't put my finger on it, and for now "cold" will have to suffice.

I couldn't hold myself asking Ceephax who Steinvord was when waiting behind him to take a piss (obviously when he was done peeing).

The brief conversation went a little like this as far as I can remember:

Me: Hey Ceephax, who is Steinvord?

Ceephax: I don't know, my dad maybe?

Me: Hah, you did a good show. *patted on his shoulder*

Ceephax: *rambling I can't remember / I think he said something along the lines of That's for you to find out.

Me: Is it your brother?

Ceephax: Nah, his [steinvord's] melodies are too weak. It's definitely not my brother, I can tell you that much.

anyone ever use reason? does Steinvord sound like something that could have been done with reason?

I use reason a lot.

And no I would have to say definitely not possible on reason, specifically the drums.

Steinvord sounds like something done by Tom on Tom's equipment circa 2000/2001 IE go plastic era.

I couldn't hold myself asking Ceephax who Steinvord was when waiting behind him to take a piss (obviously when he was done peeing).

The brief conversation went a little like this as far as I can remember:

Me: Hey Ceephax, who is Steinvord?

Ceephax: I don't know, my dad maybe?

Me: Hah, you did a good show. *patted on his shoulder*

Ceephax: *rambling I can't remember / I think he said something along the lines of That's for you to find out.

Me: Is it your brother?

Ceephax: Nah, his [steinvord's] melodies are too weak. It's definitely not my brother, I can tell you that much.

wait... you got to touch ceephax?

sell me your hand

Edited by StephenG

anyone ever use reason? does Steinvord sound like something that could have been done with reason?

I use reason a lot.

And no I would have to say definitely not possible on reason, specifically the drums.

Steinvord sounds like something done by Tom on Tom's equipment circa 2000/2001 IE go plastic era.

The programming is the only thing about this that seems easily achievable in Reason. All you do is drop in samples and chop and stretch. The thing that really sticks out about these songs is the use of effects. Some of these effects are standard in Reason, but others would have to be creative routing and techniques that only a highly skilled and creative person would know. If I had to wager I would say if it was done in Reason it was also used in conjunction with other programs. Also, the mixing is spot on. It probably also has some hardware synth work as well or at least samples of real synths.

Not to mention one of the songs is possibly named after a synth in Reason. (Malstrom - Maelstrom)

Also, after listening to these songs again along with Andy's and SP's comments I'm pretty sure this is another Aphex Twin project. If it isn't indeed some Spanish kid they've never met or whatever. Really though the fact that hey are hiding the identity is a good indicator that it is Aphex.

Also, after listening to these songs again along with Andy's and SP's comments I'm pretty sure this is another Aphex Twin project. If it isn't indeed some Spanish kid they've never met or whatever. Really though the fact that hey are hiding the identity is a good indicator that it is Aphex.

And Andy saying the melodies are too weak for Tom. If that doesn't say AFX, I don't know what will...

;-p

And Andy saying the melodies are too weak for Tom. If that doesn't say AFX, I don't know what will...

;-p

Basically the main difference innit? :D

Guest cult fiction
I'm hot, cause i'm fly

Possibly the most important post in the entire thread. The secret to Steinvord's identity is contained within these words.

On 1/3/2013 at 8:44 AM, Friendly Foil said:
I haven't really followed this thread, but why are we slowing down tracks now?

when i first listened to the steinvord ep i thought some tracks sounded sped up because of percussion samples being abruptly short, tempos being quick, and the sense that there was alot going on that i was not able to follow. when i heard how awesome iyff acid e1 was at 65% speed i thought maybe songs had been disguised with speed for fun. 

Edited by very honest

i had to do another, but of cyg x-1 this time. about 75% speed. there's a sound that's off on other speeds but becomes awesome on this one, it's that sound you hear for the first time at 33 or 34 seconds, it's almost like a snare, but not. actually there are hardly any traditional percussion samples discernable in this track.

Edited by very honest

Maelstrom sounds like Tom and it sounds like the breaks from Do you know squarepusher mixed with the breaks from red hot car around 4:50

Cyg x-1 sounds like Richie, especially slowed down, something about the spastic synth

thanks for the slow down videos, cool listens

:music:

I think a bunch of Rephlex artists worked on the tracks. Or each track by a different artist?

I'm very surprised that nobody mentioned how Backyard sounds very much like a Macc/dgHon track (or maybe someone/I already did but I forgot)

The styles are very similair. I'm feeling the same vibe. Those rolling drums over an ambient sound...

Well, it could just be me. But I wouldn't be surprised if they were involved, even for one track.

the last maelstrom speed i posted seemed off so i brought it up to the next tonal speed change percentage. now the pace is better, some excellent musical phrases are brought to light, the new tones work great, and that purring/growling sound in the first heavy part doesn't sound off. i think it will fit better with the other 4 tracks (awesomely, my other two speed change tracks go great with backyard and ontrack v2). i almost didn't post it here, but people seem to be following this, and i delete the old ones as i upgrade, so here you go.

e

Edited by very honest