IGNORED

Steinvord Speculation

YELLOW

Same people I just posted one on facebook and it said 'H. Garrison 2014' in the description for the afxafxafxafxafxafx track.

It says he is 27/m/es on another forum and it says 18/m/es on his SoundCloud.

(also noticed the tag 'imminent' on that afxafxafxafxafxafx track also says 'im rich and fames' in the artist info)

Found him on this forum - http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=135446

https://heorgegarrison.bandcamp.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004685778900(also added Grant on Oct 29)

This guy probably deserves his own thread but that's all the information I could find out about him.

Looks like he has taken these down from his SoundCloud for now but one is still on bandcamp also noticed his FB is deactivated now.

Edited by Skeptinoid

maybe some people in San Francisco could bring him over and snap some pictures for vattern.

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo if I gather all the clues from this thread and Aphex Ripping others thread this is how it went: Tom sent some tracks to be released on Rephlex which Rich nicked and made his own versions which were put to myspace and finally released few years later. Joyrex was allowed to say what Steinvord is when the album would come out on Rephlex, but as clever as Richard can be he shut the label down and now Joyrex can't say anything and has to stand me teasing him frequently about the subject. (sic)

Lame jokes aside, if those soundcloud tracks really are Steinvord and that means the project is back then great. Hopefully something will come out eventually. Now that I've become more familiar with Squarepusher's drill side (albeit briefly) I think that if Steinvord should be either Tom or Rich, it would be the latter. Especially Mangle is so Steinvord (or should it be the other way around). Sorry pissflaps but I still can't help but to hear the same drums on Bonneville Occident and Backyard. The rim sounds exactly the same. Maybe sampled or same machinery. Don't know.

Karsten Pflum can out-Steinvord Steinvord.

[youtubehd]x3hk2sBke90[/youtubehd]

Thanks for this. The track was good but sadly the whole album doesn't really keep me interested long enough. Yet I'm part of NI63 thankcamp and will bear this in mind in case I run out of new stuff.

I don't know if I'm more annoyed by the fact that people still seem to believe Steinvord has anything to do with Richard, or by the fact that nobody has found time to correct the fucking title ot the thread.

That's all I had to say, have fun specualting. :catsalute:

well i will tell you who steinvord is. ive kept it a secret this long and i cant bare all the deaf specualtion anymore.

steinvord was indeed an 18 year old spaniard. he does not live in spain however.

sometime in the early 90's right around when rephlex was started grant and richard were very heavily researching cia mind control, jonestown, mengele etc. all of that greasy stuff. they fell victim to the same social optimism and misguided altruism that struck every previous organization that had attempted it and started their own experiment.

the idea was that by raising a child in isolation, sharing no spoken or written language with it and with only synthesizers and drum machines to express itself, they would create the ultimate organic braindance machine. they purchased an out of service remote holding area in siberia from the russian government and then set about trying to find the right candidate for the insane manipulation they had planned (incidentally it was on a trip to this holding cell years later that richard met his current gf).

of note is that due to damage from bombings in wwII the cell itself wasnt suitable to prevent an escape, so an actual prison of synthesizers was constructed to keep the subject in. example below:

sndst1_b.jpg

Impossible to escape, though very cozy.

it was around '94 or '95 that they fell into what must have seemed like a perfect mission affirming scenario. after aphex had played a set in paris he ran afoul of some spanish gypsies during a passionate 3 day lsd binge. from these gypsies he acquired information on spanish boy who had been kidnapped as a baby and raised in a suitcase. he immediately flew to spain and purchased the boy (my sources say he tried his best to haggle, but ultimately he paid higher than you would think due to the gypsy's natural talent for swindling).

he and grant got tickets to russia and checked the boy at the airport. once they arrived they took a train to the holding cell and from what i understand they released the clasps on the parcel leaving hurriedly, expecting the child to burst out. of course because of the length of his imprisonment steinvord didnt come out until he was starved and parched after 5 or 6 days. some have speculated that because of the tight quarters the bag, he may have actually felt as though he was going to fall towards the ceiling when he emerged.

this is a true story.

im not sure where the name steinvord came from, but both richard and tom have referenced him in the track titles 'vordhosbn' and 'steinbolt'. also of note is that the 'i make music on a fuckin computer' from the myspace page is in fact a jab at keith fullerton whitman who insisted to tom jenkinson in a telephone interview that an eventide dsp was a computer. tom, grant and richard attempting a last laugh by parading their own twisted human computer.

there were a couple photos of him that made the rounds a few years back. example below:

steinvord age 13

finished_done2_1096px.jpg

steinvord age 18. hungry, unfed due to unwillingness to cooperate.

vangelis_nemostudios_co_uk_2.jpg

steinvord 18. shortly after tracks uploaded to myspace, rewarded with an apple.

Vangelis.gif

anyways, im sure no one will believe it, but this is the truth.

Sooo if I gather all the clues from this thread and Aphex Ripping others thread this is how it went: Tom sent some tracks to be released on Rephlex which Rich nicked and made his own versions which were put to myspace and finally released few years later. Joyrex was allowed to say what Steinvord is when the album would come out on Rephlex, but as clever as Richard can be he shut the label down and now Joyrex can't say anything and has to stand me teasing him frequently about the subject. (sic)

Lame jokes aside, if those soundcloud tracks really are Steinvord and that means the project is back then great. Hopefully something will come out eventually. Now that I've become more familiar with Squarepusher's drill side (albeit briefly) I think that if Steinvord should be either Tom or Rich, it would be the latter. Especially Mangle is so Steinvord (or should it be the other way around). Sorry pissflaps but I still can't help but to hear the same drums on Bonneville Occident and Backyard. The rim sounds exactly the same. Maybe sampled or same machinery. Don't know.

Thanks for this. The track was good but sadly the whole album doesn't really keep me interested long enough. Yet I'm part of NI63 thankcamp and will bear this in mind in case I run out of new stuff.

I don't think they are sampled, mainly because it seems sonically impossible as the breaks in the steinvord tracks are used in it's integrity, the whole breaks are used, every single hit is there, layered with other different breaks. It would sound TOO obvious if it was sampled, it isn't. At least it wouldn't trick my ears. These are processed breaks entirely from scratch as far as im concerned. The way they are processed is way different to my ears. Think about it, if whoever did that is good enough to program the beats like that and come up with cool/interesting tracks, why he couldnt be as skilled to process the sounds as well.

It's not that far fetched to believe it was a random guy that's really skilled and talks the same musical language as rich and tom, probably grew up on these tunes and it comes naturally to him to sound like that, but since he isn't them, it comes out sounding different. Since he is young and grew up in the 90's, he probably used whatever he could get just like every single kid born in the 90's, which means a computer and whatever software he could get. Now, the software you use it's not that important as stated by richard himself... could he own hardware devices as well? who knows, not that it really matters anyway.

On why they don't reveal it, I guess they don't have permission by him and can't tell unless they ask him and he agreeds. Why he wants to remain anonymous I have no idea, he probably doesn't care about any of this beyond making tunes.

Anyway, I have spanish friends and go there a couple weeks a year, and from what i've gathered all of them are screwed due financial crisis, specially young fellas. Im very well off at this point, and about richard's age, but if I was younger and lived there, I would be in a pretty bad situation as well. Certainly not comfortable enough to sit back, relax and create music, specially that kind of music. I hope he's doing any better than my spanish friends over there.

PS: Im not 100% convinced that any of this is true, as some bits of the story are still pretty strange, it's what I think about it at the moment. Waschbar could be right for all we know. Not that I really care at this point, I just want more tracks on that vibe. Very few producers can make good braindance, it sucks being stuck with the same couple of releases when you want to listen to a genre. I can't wait for the new wisp release.

pissflaps

On why they don't reveal it, I guess they don't have permission by him and can't tell unless they ask him and he agreeds. Why he wants to remain anonymous I have no idea, he probably doesn't care about any of this beyond making tunes.

:trollface:

this "him" must be "them" & yes it's Richard & Tom!

:trollface:

Pissflaps, just to ensure you didn’t get me wrong; I wasn’t trying to piss on your territory. Yeah I got it that you can’t get only that drum part hence I mentioned the possibility of same machinery. Like I said you know your shit while I don’t know a shit so I’ll trust your judgment. All in all my whole post was like my posts usually are: dull and pointless so you should treat them as such.

I guess it brings some new dimensions to the listening experience when you actually know how to create music yourself. It must be great! I for one get my kicks from other elements. But hey, you don’t have to be a cow to know if the milk is sour. Some rock people who still think that electronic music can be made by pressing only a button should really pay a visit here.

I don’t understand why some people are so upset of us speculating if Richard indeed has something to do with Steinvord. I never said it was without a doubt Richard but what I said was that if I had to make a choice between the two titans, my bet would be on him. Don’t see why it couldn’t be but on the other hand I think it’s possible that it really is some new dude. Now if everyone is happy let’s all join hands and sing a Celine Dion song.

Yeah I feel the same about that one too. If you ever get a chance you should listen to his album 'Flugten Frau Ar 2000' though, I think it's his masterpiece. Very RDJ Album in places - lots of strong melodies and expertly produced.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RupturedSouls

Been listening to Steinvord again today - The EP and the Myspace tracks.

I heard the EP reasonably late in the game, and everyone was crying "hermergerd, it's good, dark, moody IDMs, it MUST be Richrud!!!", then i heard of the Myspace tracks, and assumed it was another Tuss event (hundreds of fake myspaces etc.) so never paid much attention. I thought it was definitely NOT AFX from hearing just the EP. (SP came to mind, but not strongly enough.)
When i realised that they were tracks from the Official Myspace that was up before the EPs release, i kicked myself! haha. Had a listen and thought, humm... Maybe... just maybe... so i was still undecided on whether its AFX/Tom etc....

So, a few days ago i ran a search to see if any more had come from Myspace etc. and found the track "Toothsucker" on lastFM. Hadn't heard it before, so downloaded it. Had a good listen today and... well, it could be nothing... does anyone know how legit Toothsucker is? If it was on the Myspace page or not?

It's just, i'm pretty sure the sample that's repeated a few times (the distored voice) is taken from the intro to "Milkman" from the Girl/Boy EP.

Could prove that it's fan made - sampling an Aphex song for good copying measure... or, it's another tantilising clue!!! haha.

If it is from the Myspace or whatever, it seems there's a few pieces of circumstantial evidence that Rich was involved.
If it IS him (or 'them') then it's been a fun game of giving clues, but with no real evidence. We can prove NOTHING, so Stienvord wins - unlike the Tuss which fell through reasonably quickly.
If he isn't involved, it's someone laying red herrings to lead us to think its Rich, which is a fun game i guess, but i can't see anyone unknown gaining from it. There's no motive.
So i'm starting to lean towards the theory that it's a better executed Tuss game.

I don't know if I'm more annoyed by the fact that people still seem to believe Steinvord has anything to do with Richard, or by the fact that nobody has found time to correct the fucking title ot the thread.

That's all I had to say, have fun specualting. :catsalute:

the word specualtion has in fact gained official status in dec. 2011 when it entered the afxord english dictionray.

about the other thing i know nothing.