IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

aye it kinda bridged age groups at the time

have you seen the original BBC version of Dennis Potter's Pennies From Heaven or the superior The Singing Detective?

haven't seen those. i've heard of the singing detective but never watched an episode. i have some other shows in the same vein though, including the sandbaggers & c.a.t.s. eyes with leslie ash before she blew a beehive and married lee chapman. i've also been meaning to check out raven but always end up getting distracted. have you seen any of those?

do yourself the honour (and pleasure) of immersing yourself in TSD, then PFH.........not for chronology, its simply that TSD is more deeply layered, stranger, captures the varied darker edges of all the layers of noir imaginable.......the song n dance routines in any other context/production would fail miserably (look out for the Dem Bones routine), but here they compound the madness

PFH is Bob Hoskins at his peak, the story is much more bleak, pure WWII era British dystopianism, a long way from modern aspiration but the moods, the quiet desperation & the score's visionary cheeriness compounds it......i trainspotted so many tracks off both albums actually. Both get right into the human psyche like few others, they wouldnt get made today, well maybe in the US & trainspotted 90% of the tunes (nuff ssaid)

if u aint already you might like The Life & Loves of a She-Devil (by Fay Wheldon & huge Philip K Dick fan)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098849/

def a worthy investment of your time, superb anarchy

Edited by cwmbrancity

started watching fringe cause there's no other decent sci fi on tv that i know of. at what point does it transcend its being an x files ripoff and become an original and more imaginative show?

i mean it's not bad as it is, quite fun and effortless, especially bishop senior (the guy who plays his son is simply an atrocious actor), but i'm not sure i need another ~80 episodes of "monster of the week" x files kind of thing.

Edited by eugene

started watching fringe cause there's no other decent sci fi on tv that i know of. at what point does it transcend its being an x files ripoff and become an original and more imaginative show?

i mean it's not bad as it is, quite fun and effortless, especially bishop senior (the guy who plays his son is simply an atrocious actor), but i'm not sure i need another ~80 episodes of "monster of the week" x files kind of thing.

Season 2 is where it came into it's own. Especially the 80s flashback episode, I won't ruinit for ya. Be prepared for a vastly slimmed down season 4 shot almost entirely on a generic backlot though. They still tied it up nicely in the end. I'm still hoping John Noble shows up in the Star Wars sequels, he's an excellent villain, and friends with JJ Abrams.

if u aint already you might like The Life & Loves of a She-Devil (by Fay Wheldon & huge Philip K Dick fan)

thanks for the recs. defo going to hunt those. life & loves looks like interesting. never heard of it before.

btw: would you (or anyone else reading this) happened to have watched a show about some kids who were on an island and acted like detectives solving crimes that took place at a hotel. one of the kids- his dad worked at this particular hotel. the other kids were locales who lived there and they formed a "famous five" type mystery solving club.

i think this show was either british or australian (but definitely filmed on a tropic island)

I started watchimg Documentary Now. Their skewering of Vice was dead on!

yes it was, and it launched almost the same time as The Onion's 'edge tv' which is also a parody of Vice, although not as good imo. The onion approach is a little more over the top and pretty much what you'd expect them to do like trying to score drugs in Palestinian territories, etc

gotta say i'm impressed with bloodline. its a good character story and exploration of certain interesting aspects of humanity. writing and acting are both compelling, though i could nit-pick about some minor rough edges here and there.

Edited by very honest

Season 2 is where it came into it's own. Especially the 80s flashback episode, I won't ruinit for ya. Be prepared for a vastly slimmed down season 4 shot almost entirely on a generic backlot though. They still tied it up nicely in the end. I'm still hoping John Noble shows up in the Star Wars sequels, he's an excellent villain, and friends with JJ Abrams.

yeah the guy who plays bishop's son is one of the worst, he's like the skeptic 'scully' of the show but a lot more fucking annoying. They make his character more integral to the story and thus more likeable as the show goes on ( i know its hard to believe his chubby little boy face will become charming in time but it does, trust me)

it's not even the character but the acting that bothers me, he's constantly locked into this half-smirking-glassy-eyed kind of expression regardless of context and his dialogue lines.

Peter-Bishop-3-peter-bishop-30247169-500

Edited by eugene

This season has been great so far, not watched the latest yet though. The last one was the weakest so far, and it was still great.

Wet Hot American Summer is getting better as it goes along, the first bunch of episodes were only ok, but the last couple I watched were very good. Think I'm up to #6 now.

The new Review with Forrest McNeill's are brilliant too.

anyone watching Narcos?

watched the first couple of episodes, not bad, it's definitely riding off the drug trade TV bandwagon but it doesn't feel lazy about it. very cliche in places, but art imitates life I guess.

Started watching Hannibal se3, for some reason it's lost me. Looks as good as ever but I'm bored to tears. Did the show go up it's own arse? Was I just in the wrong mood? Time may tell.

Started watching Hannibal se3, for some reason it's lost me. Looks as good as ever but I'm bored to tears. Did the show go up it's own arse? Was I just in the wrong mood? Time may tell.

The series finale final act was pretty gruesome. Out of all your weapon choices, knives always get me cringey.

The season is strange, but some quality episodes in there. A lot more dark humor in the second half. (Hannibal has some quality lines.)

The show is definitely up it's own arse, but worth the watch imo.

wish i knew, sounds like an F8-piece of atmosphere,,,,,,,

thanks for the recs. defo going to hunt those. life & loves looks like interesting. never heard of it before.

btw: would you (or anyone else reading this) happened to have watched a show about some kids who were on an island and acted like detectives solving crimes that took place at a hotel. one of the kids- his dad worked at this particular hotel. the other kids were locales who lived there and they formed a "famous five" type mystery solving club.

i think this show was either british or australian (but definitely filmed on a tropic island)

wasnt this, was it (clutches/straws)?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086675/

Edited by cwmbrancity

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

First few episodes are a slow burn but really atmospheric I thought. The flashbacks to when Hannibal was entertaining Dr Gideon as his 'dinner guest' were excellent. Then it gets even darker and more messed up and peaks towards the end of the first half. All the stuff with the Red Dragon is a bit weak, I was never a huge fan of that story anyway and he's given far too much air time. It's just a remake of the film from there on, and the season finale was a really major letdown. Not too bothered about it's cancellation any more tbh. The show has had some really great moments, even in season 3, but it just doesn't come close to S2.