IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

I'm mostly looking forward to whatever Danny has come up with...

Hoping for some crazy Mandala shit on this album.

and modular synth stuff

and that accordion 

^Aenima might could do with a remaster: I haven't listened to this on headphones in years, but Aenima's recording/mixing occasionally sounds a bit cock-rock. Vocals and guitars all up front and loud, drums a little too reverby and often without much punch or volume. Guitar tone on the 'heavy' stuff doesn't mix well, gives a really stark contrast between the super clean drums and vocals and that thick mid-dy distorted thing they got. Some songs are better than others at least, but yeah. Probably sounds about as good as you'd expect anything from 1995 to sound though. They don't seem the type to retouch their old albums like that but who knows, maybe.

Yeah I love the production on Aenima.  Very unique sound.  I think the brittle one-guitar-near-the-centre thing in a lot of sections adds a certain cold, unsettling quality that is really perfect for the music.  It's one of the more interesting productions from that era.  Usually with rock/metal albums of that stature it's a fairly predictable left/right hard panned stereo wall of sound for all heavy guitars.  They tried something different to achieve the "punch", it's a lot more interesting as a result.  Plus the amount of cool, different guitar tones on any one particular song off that album is really fun to hear.  They tried a different tone/approach for almost every section. 

Lateralus sounds bigger, more polished, nicer, etc., but it's a lot less interesting to me... just from a sonics perspective.  Though I think the production is fucking amazing on it.  Drum sound especially - possibly my favorite drum sound on a rock record.  The sound of that album is very, very cohesive the whole way through.

A fan named Brebs tweeted, “Do you hate being in Tool? Are you only doing the record because you guys are signed for it? Thoughts?”

Keenan responded from his Puscifer account, “Stfu.”

A fan named Mike Steele tweeted, “I was just listening to the song Right In Two. Take it for what’s worth. I really hope you guys can work through your issues. No matter how frustrating the process may be, there will never be a band to make music the way the four of you guys do.”

Keenan responded on his Puscifer account, “Or maybe its not that bad. And you shouldnt worry about.”

• 2 weeks later...