IGNORED

Zomby - With Love

Redruth

Guest jasondonervan

Most of it sounds like offcuts from that 5th anniversary compilation that Hyperdub put out years back. That's not to say it's fundamentally bad, but he just doesn't seem to have moved it on at all. Same old twinkly 8bit synth tracks, interspersed with the odd amen number here or there. 33 tracks going nowhere does not an album make.

i'm enjoying several of these tracs

There are some decent tracks. Memories and Overdose stick out the most for me. Overall, I don't think it is developed enough. A lot of them sound like the instrumentals to a hip hop track. I think it would have been a hell of a lot more interesting if he got some artists to rap or sing over some of this stuff. Many of them have little to no direction or development, which isn't always a bad thing(analords for example), but even those had a decent transition or two or went off on a discordant tangent. I could see all of these working well in a club setting. Most of them are simple and could be mixed in with other stuff easily. Some of them are bangers, and will get people on their feet. I can't help but be distracted and turned off by his public antics as well. While I can enjoy some of the tracks, I'm not that impressed with this installment of Zomby.

Guest bitroast

Okay, changing my mind. Ill give the album a listen soon soon. I actually the more melodic tracks he does. Like, any of the tracks that have have flora in the title are generally nice. :)

The guy probably has a personality disorder from a fucked up childhood. No affirmation from a paternal figure + sudden acclaim and bitches, and you just might end up like Zomby.

bitching out people for getting the label on your fucking designer longjohns or whatever wrong :facepalm:

lol

He's whining again as we speak.

http://twitter.com/ZombyMusic

"dont really like that black and white shit..when you fill a form out and have to choose your ethnicity LOL..i just put 'BADMAN'"

I can't stop giggling at this. Zomby, if you're reading this, please join WATMM.

he would so get banned within a week

I think it's just you and me Redruth :biggrin: The lone Zomby fans

:beer:

A lot of them sound like the instrumentals to a hip hop track.

right. this is what zomby is experimenting with here. this is spattering of ideas which all need to be put in their proper context. the tracs take time for the listener to develop an emotional connection with, but it's there, waiting, in most of them. there is such a diverse collection of styles here. there are many details within what also is seemingly very bland and boring. it's taken me quite a few listens to appreciate what he's done with this. my first listens i was quite uninterested, especially with the second half and i still am not completely satisfied by the whole album. there are however, ten or twelve tracs on this that are very beautiful.

it's time to get the kitty cat fucking mental

I think it's just you and me Redruth :biggrin: The lone Zomby fans

:beer:

A lot of them sound like the instrumentals to a hip hop track.

right. this is what zomby is experimenting with here. this is spattering of ideas which all need to be put in their proper context. the tracs take time for the listener to develop an emotional connection with, but it's there, waiting, in most of them. there is such a diverse collection of styles here. there are many details within what also is seemingly very bland and boring. it's taken me quite a few listens to appreciate what he's done with this. my first listens i was quite uninterested, especially with the second half and i still am not completely satisfied by the whole album. there are however, ten or twelve tracs on this that are very beautiful.

it's time to get the kitty cat fucking mental

Ok, well I'll have to give it some more listens and see if I concur with your assertions.

There are some decent tracks. Memories and Overdose stick out the most for me.

'memories' is quite a decent trac and that kitty cat on 'it's time' with the lasers, i like lasers . i wonder if he is shooting the cat with the lasers to get the real sound of a cat

being shot by lasers?

I enjoy this album very much, he seems to be using the same soundpallet from dedication a lot

another great tribute to old/new electronic music styles with his personal touch

people should stop reading twitter and listen to the goddamn music instead

Guest Gravity

Oh no, I wouldn't let his personality interfere with the music. Good tunes are good tunes.

I haven't listened to the album yet, however.

Guest cult fiction

I enjoy this album very much, he seems to be using the same soundpallet from dedication a lot

another great tribute to old/new electronic music styles with his personal touch

Twitter drama is more interesting than this album though

When cash is less tight, I'm going to dive and buy this, what I've heard since Where Were U In '92 I've thought was OK and worth giving a bit more time. And if whether or not I thought the artist was an arsehole was a criteria for buying their records then I'd probably have a fraction of my current collection.

Guest Gravity

Lots of people give Anthony shit but I think he's a pretty chill guy. I mean I'll get a bit annoyed if he talks shit about an album I enjoy, but in the end it's just an opinion and when the video ends my annoyance ends. I donno. He seems to give lots of different genres a shot and gets in depth about the music itself when he speaks. Decent guy.

Yeah yeah he's (AF) okay. Still, calling him a Melonhead is amusing.

By the way, backtracking to the album? It's off the hook imo. So very tasty.

Edited by beerwolf

I've listened to this quite a few times now, because I wanted to achieve an objective opinion. My opinion still stands about it needing more development. It definitely has some nice sounds and some good tracks, but overall it isn't solid enough. It usually loses me around track 13, or so. I think he has put his feet in the right direction, but he needs to work harder and keep developing his craft before his music will really stand out for me. I'll probably spend some more time with the second half of this, but not for long.

I'm extremely late with this, I bought this album a month ago, I've had it unopened for almost a month until last week. I much prefer the first disc over the second. The second appears to have less variation and is a bit dry up until the end, while the first disc is reminiscent of his last albums and the beats change up a bit more.

finally giving a full, uninterrupted listen

pretty meh, some ok tracks as others have said

no idea why it warranted two discs and a 4AD release

That needledrop review is pretty dead-on imo