IGNORED

posh beers and ales and stuff thread

kaini

oh right, have you tried the Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel? Had one yesterday, it's an imperial oatmeal stout with weasel shit coffee and it's fucking incredible. Highly recommended!

This is a great beer. One of my all time favourites.

Check out this article for the story about Mikkeller and Evil Twin: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/magazine/a-fight-is-brewing.html?_r=0

I bought a bottle of this stout the other day, and it can be stored for 20 years. http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/kinn-svartekunst-fediresp/156869/

Not sure if that's the case for stouts in general.

Edit: On the back of the bottle, it says "will taste better after 2015"

Edited by scumtron

So overall you guys don't recommend bright/lighter hop focused beers to be cellared.

In general the ones that I cellar are either barley wines, beers aged in wood barrels (broad description I know), and stouts...

Really looking forward to Odin's Tipple. If you ever see one for sale grab a bottle guys, it's really really good. Up there with my favorite.

You can age strong Belgian ales too. Eisbocks, wheat wines, sours like Flemish reds and oud bruins- probably any Jolly Pumpkin beer, doppelbocks, you can age a ton of shit just 8% and above as a general rule few exceptions

Thank you for the advice, I'll keep that in mind. And I think you're right in general re 8%. I had cellared a few around 6.5% and they were much more bitter than when I first bought them.

oh right, have you tried the Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel? Had one yesterday, it's an imperial oatmeal stout with weasel shit coffee and it's fucking incredible. Highly recommended!

This is a great beer. One of my all time favourites.

Check out this article for the story about Mikkeller and Evil Twin: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/magazine/a-fight-is-brewing.html?_r=0

Mikkeller and Evil Twin are two of our favorite breweries (me and the missus).

Great stuff coming out of them.

I should take a pic of all the beers we've tried (probably 4-500 of them now). We have a ledge at home around the basement that is lined with all the diff bottles lol

you can definitely cellar any beer at 11%abv. That might lose some of its smoke flavor, but I could be wrong.

So it should be alright for a year or so?

It'll definitely be ok for a year. Some minor modification of flavour to be expected.

2nded. Do not cellar high ABV DIPAs though. You lose the hop bitterness/flavor over extended cellaring. Tastes more like a strong ale. But, I've done it & sometimes enjoy the change in flavor profile.

Definitely good advice.

Really, for beers that showcase a complex hop character, get them as fresh as humanly possible, preferably straight from the tap and into either a glass or a growler (for drinking within about 24 hours). Ironically for something that was originally intended as a preservative, the hoppiness itself changes character quite a bit on the shelf and in transport.

There are heavily-hopped beers that the above doesn't apply to, and tons of beers that you'd want to mellow out, but the super hop-focused, intentionally "flowery" stuff tastes so much nicer when fresh.

I'm pretty spoiled by having a few good IPA-focused breweries close by, mind you. Currently miss filling the growler with Stone's Enjoy By IPA series something fierce.

Edit: on that subject, see http://enjoyby.stonebrewing.com/

So overall you guys don't recommend bright/lighter hop focused beers to be cellared.

In general the ones that I cellar are either barley wines, beers aged in wood barrels (broad description I know), and stouts...

Really looking forward to Odin's Tipple. If you ever see one for sale grab a bottle guys, it's really really good. Up there with my favorite.

I should clarify, if you're a "hop-head", & that is the ingredient you look to/love most about a beer, do not cellar for extended periods. There are your dipas that are very malt heavy & drink like a strong ale already (could probably sit on those for awhile). In general though, you'll get diminishing returns. As Baph said, there are tons of brews that are heavily hopped that can be cellared. Many imperials of many styles where the hops aren't necessarily to be in the forefront like an IPA. I mainly age imperial stouts & strong ales aged in BB. Takes a little heat off after 6 months to a year. I've only gone over 2 years once I think. And really, not sure if it made the brew any more interesting. I think aging over a year in general should really be left to sours, quads or generally any beers that have a lot of complexity in ingredients. The bruery's anniversary ales would probably be a good example to age for several years. Excellent, complex brew.

a little lite read

http://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/cellaring-craft-beer-to-age-or-not-to-age

Edited by olo

I can't search the topic, I hope this hasn't already been asked.

I had some Leffe in London, Brussels and it was really good I thought. Got some in the states, 3 times if memory serves and it was awful. Tasted sort of rancid. Anybody know why this happens to imported beers?

Inb4 Leffe bashing

I had some Leffe in London, Brussels and it was really good I thought. Got some in the states, 3 times if memory serves and it was awful. Tasted sort of rancid. Anybody know why this happens to imported beers?

Inb4 Leffe bashing

just old & skunked my friend. Probably sitting on the shelf forever. There are stores I go to & know they get rid of old product after a period of time. Reputable places that care about the consumer. There are also stores that have about 10 years worth of dust on bottles & could give a shit about the customer. "We have 1000s of microbrews, largest selection in state, blah blah blah." That's great, but, it's old & quite shit. You have to be careful when buying lower abv brews from places like that.

Look to ratebeer or beer advocate & search stores in your area. Should be reviews about whether you should give them your business or not for the most part.

no leffe bashing here either.

Inb4 Leffe bashing

just old & skunked my friend. Probably sitting on the shelf forever. There are stores I go to & know they get rid of old product after a period of time. Reputable places that care about the consumer. There are also stores that have about 10 years worth of dust on bottles & could give a shit about the customer. "We have 1000s of microbrews, largest selection in state, blah blah blah." That's great, but, it's old & quite shit. You have to be careful when buying lower abv brews from places like that.

Look to ratebeer or beer advocate & search stores in your area. Should be reviews about whether you should give them your business or not for the most part.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try it again, a very studious store just opened up next to me and they have it.

Inb4 Leffe bashing

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try it again, a very studious store just opened up next to me and they have it.

I had leffe not too long ago & I don't remember there being any issues with it. I do find from talking with friends who've been overseas, they do say the lower abv import beers we drink in the states do taste better in europe or whathaveyou. I wonder if it's just a lengthy distribution process with import beers that give the "heineken" effect to lower abv import beers. Not sure. Could be a combination of that & just store owners not rotating out old product.

• 2 weeks later...

So Beerwolf been a good boy. Still have a few beers but feeling lean and feeling keen. Bit like a racing snake at the moment.

When I've had time off from work I've been climbing hills, cycling valleys, walking in the wind.

However my fine legendary fellow watmmer's I have a few days off and today I have drunk

2 bottles of Asahi Black (5%) 330ml

2 bottles of St Austels Proper Job (5.5%) 500ml

1 bottle of Thatchers Katy (7.4%) 500ml

1 bottle of Aspall premier cru (7%) 500 ml

1 bottle of Thatchers 2013 vintage (7.4%) 500 ml

1 bottle of Caplin & Corks somerset reserve (6.8%) 500 ml

It's only 13.30 pm, and I'm off to the fucking pub, where I can talk like a fucking savage in a fucking cave, with a load of savages. See ya tomorrow fellas. Hahah you know it's a fucking good day!

Edited by beerwolf

So Beerwolf been a good boy. Still have a few beers but feeling lean and feeling keen. Bit like a racing snake at the moment.

When I've had time off from work I've been climbing hills, cycling valleys, walking in the wind.

However my fine legendary fellow watmmer's I have a few days off and today I have drunk

2 bottles of Asahi Black (5%) 330ml

2 bottles of St Austels Proper Job (5.5%) 500ml

1 bottle of Thatchers Katy (7.4%) 500ml

1 bottle of Aspall premier cru (7%) 500 ml

1 bottle of Thatchers 2013 vintage (7.4%) 500 ml

1 bottle of Caplin & Corks somerset reserve (6.8%) 500 ml

It's only 13.30 pm, and I'm off to the fucking pub, where I can talk like a fucking savage in a fucking cave, with a load of savages. See ya tomorrow fellas. Hahah you know it's a fucking good day!

got a feeling you're gonna be, what's that expression?....propa fucked? enjoy & don't start doing shots.

also

[youtubehd]cBH8Rwg8cY4[/youtubehd]

Edited by olo

• 2 weeks later...

Very good quad. Due to the mystique around the brew, was expecting more, but not disappointed by any means.

wvlxii.jpg

Awesome. Definitely a dessert brew.

11163470933_05e60a8ce5.jpg

damn good, but nothing unique per se.

Dark-Horse-Brewing-Opperman-s-bourbon-ba

Drinking this one in honor of all hallows eve I gather

Three-Floyds-Dark-Lord-Imperial-Stout-la

Where did you get the Westvleteren, olo?

Is it actually significantly better/different than St. Bernardus Abt 12?

My buddy knows a brewer at a local brewery in MI. This guy made a pilgrimage to the actual monastery by a scheduled reservation & picked up an undisclosed amount.

It was quite good. Very unfiltered, but don't give a shit about that. I didn't think it was heads & shoulders above anything really. Very much in line with the plum/fig notes & other taste profile like most Belgian/trappist quads ( Bernardus, rochefort 10, etc.)

edit: my friend, who I drank one with, is working to be a cicerone & we share similar tastes. He kinda felt the same I did. Great quad, but really nothing above & beyond. Bare in mind we just drank that quad & didn't have others on hand to compare to. Just going by memory.

Actually out of all quads I've had. I prefer straffe hendrik. That one speaks to me.

Edited by olo

My buddy knows a brewer at a local brewery in MI. This guy made a pilgrimage to the actual monastery by a scheduled reservation & picked up an undisclosed amount.

It was quite good. Very unfiltered, but don't give a shit about that. I didn't think it was heads & shoulders above anything really. Very much in line with the plum/fig notes & other taste profile like most Belgian/trappist quads ( Bernardus, rochefort 10, etc.)

edit: my friend, who I drank one with, is working to be a cicerone & we share similar tastes. He kinda felt the same I did. Great quad, but really nothing above & beyond. Bare in mind we just drank that quad & didn't have others on hand to compare to. Just going by memory.

Actually out of all quads I've had. I prefer straffe hendrik. That one speaks to me.

Thanks maetl; always wanted to try the Westy given its reputation, and was personally getting fairly hyped when it went on sale in the States briefly a few years ago, but it seems like I should just happily accept one if ever offered to me (or if I find myself in Belgium) rather than pine away for it over here. It's a Trappist Quad and it tastes like one, basically, hah.

I've never seen Streffe Hendrik in the wild in/around Los Angeles, for some reason. Will remember to grab one if it should turn up.

Thanks maetl; always wanted to try the Westy given its reputation, and was personally getting fairly hyped when it went on sale in the States briefly a few years ago, but it seems like I should just happily accept one if ever offered to me (or if I find myself in Belgium) rather than pine away for it over here. It's a Trappist Quad and it tastes like one, basically, hah.

I've never seen Streffe Hendrik in the wild in/around Los Angeles, for some reason. Will remember to grab one if it should turn up.

Gladly take a westy, but no need to let it eat at you. You'll be just as fine off with the names I mentioned. I think just the mystique, somewhat rarity of it, makes people who are lucky to grab one, think it's the best beer eva. A psychological thing. Same thing happens with Three Floyds.

Straffe Hendrik Brugs is tasty. Kinda has a port like quality to it which I enjoy. That one definitely has a different feel than abt12/ rochefort 10. Knab one if you find it around town. Seems like a great beer state like CA, you should be able to find one. Depends on distribution I guess.

i was in beer mecca yesterday: http://diceys.com/onlinestore/index.php

picked up a bunch of la rochefort trappiste, spectacular beer.

Rochefort-beers.jpg

Ooh I bought one of these for t'other half last night. I struggle with beer but gave this one a try and it was lovely. At seven quid a bottle you'd fucking hope so.

Just back from a week-long booze cruise through New England picking up tonnes of obscure ciders. Crossed back into Quebec at a very quiet border crossing and ended up chatting for ages with the customs guy, who happened to also be a cider fan and actually made us a list of obscure Quebec ciders to get hold of. Will post photos of any particularly nice ones!

Three Floyds Dark Lord. The sweetest stout I've ever had. Possibly the sweetest beer I've ever had. Like drinking Fudge. Definitely malty. Some flavors I couldn't quite put my finger on. Very chewy. Glad I tried, but the sweetness was too much for me.

Edited by olo

• 1 month later...

Been awhile. Time to rehash the thread. Recent entries for me:

Brewery Vivant - Wizard Burial Ground BB. Pretty damn good. Still a little hot possibly.

Oddside Ales - BB Imperial Mayan Mocha Stout w/ habanero,cinnamon,nutmeg & coffee - Fucking awesome. So many feels.

Odd-Side-Ales-Bourbon-Barrel-Mayan-Mocha

Goose Island - 2014 Bourbon County Stout - Always fantastic

Bourbon-County-Stout-Gear-Patrol.jpg

Three Floyds Dark Lord. The sweetest stout I've ever had. Possibly the sweetest beer I've ever had. Like drinking Fudge. Definitely malty. Some flavors I couldn't quite put my finger on. Very chewy. Glad I tried, but the sweetness was too much for me.

this: http://www.drinkstore.ie/Galway-Bay-Brewerty-Buried-At-Sea-Chocolate-Milk-Stout-500ML-680569862297/

was very nice, but i had it after a hefty meal. almost like a dessert. too sweet for my tastes.

Shorts brewing - Juicy Tree: Really like it. Definitely like drinking an xmas tree. Little fruity, spruce inducing ipa. A pine bomb. Which I like.

juicy.jpg