IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

SpaceChem

nice one, good game right there.

have to agree with eugene on the new x-com, it's dissappointing and only makes me want to go back to the old ones. i thought civ 5 was more of a succes, talking about Firaxis reviving early 90s classics...

xcom enemy unknown - 3/10

i finished the game yesterday and my feelings about it are a mix of disappointment and disgust. besides graphics and animations this game dumbed down every single element from the previous games. and it looks especially primitive when you have the underrated, super ambitious, and somewhat unpolished x-com apocalypse in mind (which came out 15 years ago !!). everything about this game screams mid-late 00's consolized cutscene-core rail shooters. there's just so many things it absolutely wrong that i don't know even where to start..

where's the fucking inventory which adds tremendous amount of flexibility and tactical depth at the small price of micromanagement frustrations ? what if the player doesn't have enough juice to clear the whole place and can only kill a couple of aliens and capture their equipment, abandon the area and research those at homebase ? you can't do it.

what if i want to level the whole building where the aliens are supposedly hiding on top of them ? or make alternative entrances for flanking ? you can't do it. prone/crouch to improve aim and cover ? - no. use items of fallen comrades/aliens ? - no inventory motherfucker.

even the sound design is laughable, where in apocalypse sound was cruicial to identifying the alien type and its location, here you get a huge graphical marker that appears seemingly randomly and shows the exact location of the enemy. and the most horrible thing about it there's absolutely no element of tension because first you have to uncover a squad of enemies that are always static by default and only then they'll become active, the only exception are terror missions where the aliens are actively killing civies but i've only had 3 of those in the whole playthrough.

the actual tactical gameplay is not terrible but it's a joke when compared to the flexibility and depth of apocalypse. the granades and rockets always hit the designated target regardless of soldier's aim, the shots that miss can only damage the environment and not the soldiers/enemies that stand nearby which make's it very binary - hit or miss. no base invasions, only one base available, the intercepting is just completely retarded, the interface ? i don't even want to talk about it. the extremely interesting and game affecting interaction with the world in apocalypse ? the item market ? - lol... and i could continue ad-infinum..

the saddest thing about it is all the 9/10 (on average) ratings it receives, which just seem so unreal to me.

tldr - this is a slightly less fucktarded tactical shooter than the usual current-gen console crop which has very little to do with the xcom classics. if you think it's a good game - kill yourself.

Sorry, I'm not committing suicide on account of having a conflicting opinion.

I loved the original UFO: Enemy Unknown, but I also really enjoy the new XCOM. And who gives a shit if it's been engineered to accommodate console users. I play primarily on PC, but people can play it on whatever system they choose.

Yeah, there's been some simplification in certain game elements, but it also takes an open mind to appreciate it. Bear in mind that this comes almost 20 years after the original Micro Prose game. You can't expect the new XCOM to adhere to every minute aspect of the old one. There's bound to be revisions and modifications in that period of time.

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer... as always. It's not even that incredible. I just find it really relaxing and simple, and the random packs with items in them is a cool feature.

Also, I think I need to pick up the second, third and fourth Walking Dead episodes soonish.

so ive been looking for new simulation city building games for quite some time now and im getting bored of Sim City. i just saw a game Called Cities XL on steam. Anyone know anything about this series? it looks very interesting.

Cities XL is actually terrible. Don't get it! New SimCity looks incredible, hope it delivers, maxis usually do, even though Spore was a little bit more than *slightly* disappointing.

I cannot wait for new SimCity. I once calculated roughly how long I've played all versions of SimCity. Around 1% of my total life.

Guest Frankie5fingers

so ive been looking for new simulation city building games for quite some time now and im getting bored of Sim City. i just saw a game Called Cities XL on steam. Anyone know anything about this series? it looks very interesting.

Cities XL is actually terrible. Don't get it! New SimCity looks incredible, hope it delivers, maxis usually do, even though Spore was a little bit more than *slightly* disappointing.

I cannot wait for new SimCity. I once calculated roughly how long I've played all versions of SimCity. Around 1% of my total life.

too late. lol but i don't know why you say that. ive been playing for some time now and i have enjoyed myself quite a bit. its no SC3K, but like i said i wanted a new city building game. i created the ultimate city in 3000, i filled every single square on the largest map. and i just wanted a new game. i most likely will get the new Sim city but this will be a good hold over till it comes out.

Guest Mirezzi

super castlevania 4.. as i love this game

This,

and rondo of blood, are perfect.

Yeah, I dunno, it's so close that I won't bother comparing them, but Super Castlevania IV and Symphony of the Night are both just about video game perfection.

It's truly fucking sad that the industry doesn't seem to realize it and instead keeps churning out bland FPS after bland EPS ad nauseum.

Also, I think I need to pick up the second, third and fourth Walking Dead episodes soonish.

DO IT.

Probably my favorite game of the year along with ME3.

just finished dishonored. i'll probably start on my second playthrough tomorrow, awesome game.

Fuck. I can't decide if I should buy this game or wait till it gets cheaper. Q4 is raping my wallet again.

Edited by Npoess

Guest jasondonervan

- XCOM: It's early days and I have no nostalgic link to the original series, but I'm enjoying the gameplay/slick presentation immensely.

- Retro City Rampage: The slew of 80s/90s references is fun, but it does get a little exhausting over prolonged play. Also, the driving sucks.

DISHONORED is probably the best stealth game I've played since Thief 3. It certainly knocks HUMAN REVOLUTION into a cocked hat - and I enjoyed that game at the time. I think what really sets it apart is the level design, which is simply brilliant. You never feel like you've just been handed a convenient air vent, that you've discovered "the stealthy path" through a level. It's much more natural and realistic than that.

The downside? The guard AI can be a little inconsistent and crap from time to time. But mostly it's alright, and it doesn't really detract from the overall experience.

Game of the year? Probably not. That's CRUSADER KINGS 2. First-person game of the year? Yes. And probably last year and the year before that too.

Guest bitroast

This,

Yeah, I dunno, it's so close that I won't bother comparing them, but Super Castlevania IV and Symphony of the Night are both just about video game perfection.

It's truly fucking sad that the industry doesn't seem to realize it and instead keeps churning out bland FPS after bland EPS ad nauseum.

I still haven't played symphony of the night*n*

It was released in america's psn back in 2007 , but not on Australian/europe psn:/ I don't have my ps2 at the moment and my ps3 doesn't play ps1games....

Sooo, until the digital release comes out I'm not playing yet:(

Guest Frankie5fingers

This,

I still haven't played symphony of the night*n*

It was released in america's psn back in 2007 , but not on Australian/europe psn:/ I don't have my ps2 at the moment and my ps3 doesn't play ps1games....

Sooo, until the digital release comes out I'm not playing yet:(

damn dude, youre missing out. greatest Castlvania game of them all.

Agreed and it's probably my most played PS1 game. This was meant to come out last Wednesday on the European PSN but it seems to have silently missed the release date. I stupidly sold my copy about 10 years back to my boss (I was a poor student and needed every penny) and have regretted it ever since ....

Despite the number of times I've beaten it (I, erm, made a backup copy !) I'm still to complete the game fully as Richter. Still not sure how you're meant to tackle the spiky rooms ...

EDIT: Currently watching the Clint Eastwood flick Pale Rider for work and all the scenery, small towns and mining really reminded me of Skyrim. Which got me thinking: Is there a cowboy themed RPG on current gen machines, and if not why not? (I guess Red Dead Redemption is close, but it's mainly just GTA in olden day clothing). If any developers are reading I will happily give you the rights for such a game for only a 10% share on sales -loveyoubye x

Guest Frankie5fingers

Agreed and it's probably my most played PS1 game. This was meant to come out last Wednesday on the European PSN but it seems to have silently missed the release date. I stupidly sold my copy about 10 years back to my boss (I was a poor student and needed every penny) and have regretted it ever since ....

Despite the number of times I've beaten it (I, erm, made a backup copy !) I'm still to complete the game fully as Richter. Still not sure how you're meant to tackle the spiky rooms ...

its been awhile, but if i remember youre talking about the corridor with spikes on top and bottom and goes on forever? i believe there was a special armor that allows you to walk on the spikes without dying. something along those lines. Edited by Frankie5fingers

Yeah in the normal game you get the spike breaker armour after getting the bat with sonar beam upgrade thing (echo of bat ?), but with Richter there's no weapon/armour/magic upgrades, just HP/MP-up potions. I've got a feeling you have to glitch the collision detection at that part, but I might be wrong...