IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Dishonored. Much better than I expected. Art is truly fantastic, worth it for that alone. The textures are a bit low res, but it doesn't really bother me with this artstyle. Plays smooth as silk, PC version runs extremely well. Very satisfying combat with a rather interesting pace. It takes some great game design from games like Bioshock and its predecessors. A rich environment inviting you to explore and gameplay that encourages experimentation.

Edited by Ego

just biked in to say the same basically, the art design and attention to details are simply amazing, it really feels like a unique world which makes the explorations very enjoyable. the levels feel very real unlike something like the recent deus ex which felt like a playground for your abilities. im impressed.

I picked up my pre-order of Dishonored today, but I haven't had a chance to start playing it yet. I pre-ordered from Gamestop so I got the Tarot Deck and Arcane Assasin DLC, also the game guide for 20% off... I'll probably start it up tomorrow and continue to play the shit out of it this weekend. Good to see others saying good things about it.

I'm also just about finished with Max Payne 3 but the last couple areas are giving me a little trouble... I'll probably get it next time I pop it in though, great game overall. The multiplayer is pretty underrated as well. Also still making progress through Skyrim, girlfriend is playing on her laptop now as well so we play together and help each other out with what to do for certain quests.

what's the atmosphere in Dishonored like?

it's kinda hard for me to disentangle it from the more physical aesthetic, basically it's somewhat 1984-ish (the first level especially), social decay and a nasty, spreading plague alongside it. it's not gothic-y kind of grimness but more singularly steampunkish, although its take on steampunk is not typical as it mixes in magic.

So I'm dying to play the new The Walking Dead episode but Xbox Live seems to be down - at least when it comes to buying MS points... or am I the only one experiencing this?

So I'm dying to play the new The Walking Dead episode but Xbox Live seems to be down - at least when it comes to buying MS points... or am I the only one experiencing this?

I read something about MS dumping the point system, but it would be a bit silly of them to just block people off from buying them until then. You could always just buy a code from one of those cheap MS points websites.

I read something about MS dumping the point system, but it would be a bit silly of them to just block people off from buying them until then. You could always just buy a code from one of those cheap MS points websites.

That got debunked yesterday, I think. I ended up buying MS points via Paypal instead.

holy shit dishonored is amazing! haven't had this much fun in a game since the first bioshock probably, goddamn, once you start playing the actual game / first mission it really took me by surprise, really really loving this atm. like with that optional mission where you're supposed to poison the distillery, i snuck in killing only one guy, poured some plague in their tank and snuck back out undetected, but just before i was about to leave i opened a cage and let out a shitload of rats, which attracted everyone in the yard, blinked up onto a pipe and took out like 5 or 6 guys + the rats with a single grenade. satisfaction!

Edited by data

I'm enjoying the shit out of Dishonored so far, not that far into it really but I'm playing it slow, and trying to follow the path of shadow (stealth) also trying to find every single rune bone charm and painting... I'm only on chapter 4 but I'm trying to get the "ghost" bonus. I may decide it's not worth that challenge but I'm still trying to avoid killing. The atmosphere is amazing!!!

Seems like Dishonored is getting a lot of praise, but I'm sticking with XCOM: Enemy Unknown for a while.

The new XCOM is getting some controversy already. One reason is because fans in Europe are upset that their turn comes 3 days later than North America. And two, some of the people who are already (supposedly) playing are bitching about it being inconsistent or having a "dumbed down" interface in comparison to the original 1994 Micro Prose classic.

Personally, I've been hooked on the 2012 version since its release. It is as addictive as it is challenging. And I've played the original countless times in my life. I'd say Fireaxis did solid work with this one overall.

As for Dishonored, I might wait a few months until the price begins to drop.

I played the new WALKING DEAD game last night. In fact, I stayed up until 3am finishing it off, and despite a 7am start this morning I have no regrets whatsoever.

Every episode so far has improved on the one before. This is no exception. A triumph of (relative) subtlety, smart characterisation and emotional string-pulling. I just can't get enough, I just can't get enough.

Going to pick up DISHONOURED after work tomorrow. I'm looking forward to that, too.

but GG is probably the best fighter of all.

It's good, but really no.

well that may have been an overstatement. but its mechanics are still better than Street Fighter.

Actually, you're wrong. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike is the best fighting game ever and it physically cannot be bettered. I understand if that statement sounds slightly fascist but it's true. And Makoto is objectively the best character too.

That got debunked yesterday, I think. I ended up buying MS points via Paypal instead.

MS Points will remain for Xbox, it's Windows 8 that will convert to cash sales. Fuck, even Nintendo now allows you to pay the exact cost of online software, fuck points!

Guest Frankie5fingers

but GG is probably the best fighter of all.

It's good, but really no.

well that may have been an overstatement. but its mechanics are still better than Street Fighter.

Actually, you're wrong. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike is the best fighting game ever and it physically cannot be bettered. I understand if that statement sounds slightly fascist but it's true. And Makoto is objectively the best character too.

im surprised that a game centered around music has no love on a music forum.

SFIII:3rdS (how's that for an abbreviation?) has the most amen breaks I've ever heard in a video game, backed up with lame General MIDI jazz. In other words, it's exactly like listening to Squarepusher and is therefore the most WATMM beat-em-up you can play.