IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Sure does (sounds good too). Hopefully it's more than just a 'go round the glitchy land for a bit until you get bored and it fades to black or you press 'Esc'' type game.

I haven't really played that much in the last two years. I had a few games in store that I haven't really played except for a few minutes. So, I decided to start with Eternal Darkness for GC and I'm playing it with Wii. The graphics are pretty horrible even for a 10 year old GC game but otherwise it looks promising. Liking the Lovecraftian vibe and looking forward to the "sanity effects". :crazy:

Eternal Darkness is great but flawed as I remember. It's been years, though. I remember thinking the combat sucked a little and I think it ran out of pace by the end.

I should probably dig it out again. An old buddy gave me his Gamecube a few months ago and a bunch of games including ED, but I haven't even plugged it in yet.

Guest Frankie5fingers

Sure does (sounds good too). Hopefully it's more than just a 'go round the glitchy land for a bit until you get bored and it fades to black or you press 'Esc'' type game.

i gotta agree with ya. it looks cool but i don't know how you could get a full game out of it.

this is slightly off topic but im going to be honest and admit i know NOTHING about graphic cards.

Ive been really interested in picking up more recent Paradox Interactive games for my laptop (by no means a gaming behemoth, but very well prepped for EUIII and other strategy titles)...so Ive been running the "Can You Run It?" website, and every single time the only thing I fail on minimum requirements is on my laptop's graphic card.

So my question is, is there a relatively affordable graphics card that will let me play the newer cadre of PC games relatively well?

Just to be clear, im not planning on spending anymore than 200 dollars, if that. Also, are laptop graphics cards easy to install? Ive never done it before.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

Also, are laptop graphics cards easy to install? Ive never done it before.

No / Very no.

That's the problem with lappy innards (though foolishly is the route I've gone for in over a decade), aside from ram & hard disk upgrades you're pretty much with your base system components.

Guest Frankie5fingers

No / Very no.

That's the problem with lappy innards (though foolishly is the route I've gone for in over a decade), aside from ram & hard disk upgrades you're pretty much with your base system components.

yeah, laptops don't last very long if you only use them for gaming. for this reason. the price of the card wont be the issue. itll be the labor charge youll have to pay to have a tech guy put it in for ya. cause if you try and do it yourself you may as well just beat the thing into submission with a hammer.

No / Very no.

yeah, laptops don't last very long if you only use them for gaming. for this reason. the price of the card wont be the issue. itll be the labor charge youll have to pay to have a tech guy put it in for ya. cause if you try and do it yourself you may as well just beat the thing into submission with a hammer.

ah...well thanks for the advice....so in other words im just sorta fucked for now, ya? maybe save up for a desktop down the road?

you're probably not going to be able to install a new graphics card in a laptop.

and your current gfx is probably failing because it shares system RAM, more than likely an intel integrated chipset. it *may* still be able to run those games even if it fails the requirements on those sites.

you're probably not going to be able to install a new graphics card in a laptop.

and your current gfx is probably failing because it shares system RAM, more than likely an intel integrated chipset. it *may* still be able to run those games even if it fails the requirements on those sites.

interesting....do you mind if i post the computer model/basic stats and see if that confirms your hypothesis? id really appreciate it.

Guest Frankie5fingers

No / Very no.

ah...well thanks for the advice....so in other words im just sorta fucked for now, ya? maybe save up for a desktop down the road?

desktop would be a much better choice cause if something is outdated all you do is buy the updated version and install it in like 30 mins, and you don't need any knowledge on computers to do it. but it depends on how much you play, where you play and things like that. its a decision only you can make. do you only play games in one place, then you may want a desktop, but if you play games just about anywhere then the laptop is the way to go.

in the long run the price for both are basiclly the same. desktop is more upfront and little later on, while a laptop is little now but more later

so its a

HPdv6 Pavillion laptop

6 GB RAM

Intel Core I5-2450M CPU @2.50 GHz

Intel HD Graphics Family (this is the problematic area here)

and just for reference...im not trying to run Skyrim or anything like that, but the new Crusader Kings, Victoria II...basically some older and current strategy games...my impression is that CKII isn't all that graphics intense...as with most Paradox games.

Guest Frankie5fingers

stratagy games in the long run have never really been graphic intensive. and pretty forgiving for those with crapy graphics cards. but like Kaini says, it be better to try then buy then be screwed by some store that wont let you return it if it doesn't work.