IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

It's also a predominantly white, middle class activity, and I have little sympathy for the white, middle class complaining about hard work that isn't very hard.

I don't find his service to be that valuable, but I also don't think that a large corporation should be hounding him for more money since he's giving them a free service.

This. This x 1000

keeping in mind, the angry joe rant didn't stem from nintendo or youtube pulling the videos down, but from him choosing monetise ON, expecting to make money of course from him providing commentary to him and his friends playing a party game (i'm assuming there's commentary, i haven't actually watched the video in question and am even wondering what excellent "commentary" was even provided and so worth of them gorgeous precious youtube provided dollar bills.

but having pressed the monotise button and switched it ON, and the video being recognized as having nintendo owned content. nintendo are not pulling the video down but are asking for a mere 40% with the 'content creator' still making the larger cut.

funny thing is, with this specific 'content creator' in question. is that he wouldn't be facing this issue if he was using youtube to actually create content, instead of merely uploading video after video of talking over him sitting around not working and playing video games all day.

it's the equivalent of those fucking spam fake news youtube channels, that collate news from various news sites and upload millions of videos onto youtube with news automatically read out in computer generated text. playing a game from start to end takes TIME. and it's easy. long video lengths = multiple video uploads. more video parts = more chances for increased view numbers and higher dollar bills being sent your way. and for creating content ?? nope. for talking over video games that other people worked on and produced.

and all of this is over nintendo asking for 40%? give me a fucking break.

foolish things to say.

keeping in mind, the angry joe rant didn't stem from nintendo or youtube pulling the videos down, but from him choosing monetise ON, expecting to make money of course from him providing commentary to him and his friends playing a party game (i'm assuming there's commentary, i haven't actually watched the video in question and am even wondering what excellent "commentary" was even provided and so worth of them gorgeous precious youtube provided dollar bills.

but having pressed the monotise button and switched it ON, and the video being recognized as having nintendo owned content. nintendo are not pulling the video down but are asking for a mere 40% with the 'content creator' still making the larger cut.

funny thing is, with this specific 'content creator' in question. is that he wouldn't be facing this issue if he was using youtube to actually create content, instead of merely uploading video after video of talking over him sitting around not working and playing video games all day.

it's the equivalent of those fucking spam fake news youtube channels, that collate news from various news sites and upload millions of videos onto youtube with news automatically read out in computer generated text. playing a game from start to end takes TIME. and it's easy. long video lengths = multiple video uploads. more video parts = more chances for increased view numbers and higher dollar bills being sent your way. and for creating content ?? nope. for talking over video games that other people worked on and produced.

and all of this is over nintendo asking for 40%? give me a fucking break.

foolish things to say.

eh. at the point a game is paid for i feel like that's the end of any financial obligation from a user. if they want to send a cease and desist fine, but to ask the guy to advertise their games and take 40% (that's a pretty big fucking chunk) while doing no leg work is pretty shit.

also, you can't just tell everybody to "get a real job" when unemployment rates are through the roof. not gonna knock people who are trying to carve out a niche doing something they enjoy instead of making minimum wage doing "real work"

I find it more amazing they have the time to hunt down all the Nintendo videos. Surely they're wasting more money in hiring people to seach & destroy than making money from that 40%?

People who say it isn't "work" and it isn't a "job" are denying that it is entertainment and it requires production just as a sitcom or any other performance requires production. The games don't play themselves. Many of the sandbox games are designed to allow users to create role-playing narratives. But like I said, "foolish things to say", because he's speaking from a point of ignorance. He hasn't even looked at the guy's youtube channel to see that a large portion of his "content" is game reviews, interviews, etc. It's as if some of the people here are actually envious that someone can make a living doing something they don't hate.

Are DAW developers going to start charging people for making DAW tutorials? Are the Smith and Wesson going to start charging people for using a 1911 in one of their youtube vids? Do you guys not see this issue here?

I could maybe agree with an argument that certain single player games lose value to consumers when they are played all the way through and published that way. One developer in particular being Telltale games, but the fact is that they have most likely benefited greatly from their game being broadcast even if some people choose not to buy it after having watched the game played out. Multiple games have put tributes to popular streamers in their games, because those streamers have contributed SO MUCH to the success of those games. If you watch someone like LIRIK streaming a game you will see consistently that the moment he loads up an unknown game thousands of people start playing it that very moment. Developers who think they deserve more should shove it up their asses. Developers already try to pay streamers and youtubers to play their games, because it is so beneficial to the developer. For instance, if half of LIRIK's current viewers right this second purchased a $60 game then they would make 1.2 million dollars. Now what is going to happen is you will have people who boycott Nintendo videos, because that's what they should do, and you'll have the people that find it acceptable "just to make anything", and they will fuck up the market for content creators. Good old capitalism at work again. Fucking over the people who are willing to accept less desirable circumstances for themselves.

Developers should focus on making good games not nickle and diming their customers like Nintendo. Maybe if Nintendo started making some good new video game series they wouldn't need to make things like 15 different controllers for one console that only work for certain games, amibos, and they wouldn't need to start syphoning ad money off of content creators that advertise their game.

If you think it's unreasonable that broadcasters and content creators have made millions and billions for developers and somehow that isn't fair then I think you're crazy.

vaguely related.. but anyone watch Maximillian Dood's stuff? That guy single-handedly gets me excited about fighting games and the scene. Really the only youtuber I don't find to be pretty annoying. He is really watchable and his content definitely has production value that also isn't "look at me". It's just well done.

hmmm... i watched maximillian when sfxt was a thing but he doesn't really cover any fg's i care about (tekken). have watched a few of the level up streams when they're running tekken though. aris is a decent commentator with good enough knowledge of the game but his schtick can wear a little thin sometimes. rip is a bit more balanced. they've both got their own sites aris at www.avoidingthepuddle.com and rip at www.levelupyourgame.com where they post tutorials/news about fighting games but it's mostly tekkencentric. both have been paid by namco to write in the official tag2 strategy guide and have positive close associations with namco

I'm not familiar with the Nintendo Youtuber guy story, only really saw what y'all have posted. But it sounds to me akin to Ableton coming to me and asking for a cut of any profits I make from selling music created using Ableton. I paid for something that's now mine to use how I see fit, within reason. It's not the same of course, but it's really not far from it.

edit: Just started Bloodborne today, finally. Only barely starting on the quest...all is great thus far. Love getting my ass kicked. :catsuicide:

Edited by auxien

I'm not familiar with the Nintendo Youtuber guy story, only really saw what y'all have posted. But it sounds to me akin to Ableton coming to me and asking for a cut of any profits I make from selling music created using Ableton. I paid for something that's now mine to use how I see fit, within reason. It's not the same of course, but it's really not far from it.

edit: Just started Bloodborne today, finally. Only barely starting on the quest...all is great thus far. Love getting my ass kicked. :catsuicide:

To be fair, it does say in most games loading screens and booklets that games are for personal use in private property and not to be used for public broadcasting, whatever form that may be.

I still think it's a dick move overall, but the legal parts have been in the games for years. Even a lot of NES games say it too.

wow good job.

Someone that's not sarcastic can you tell me what that screenshot is from? I'm on a work computer where image downloads are scanned and restricted.

wow good job.

Someone that's not sarcastic can you tell me what that screenshot is from? I'm on a work computer where image downloads are scanned and restricted.

how can you see the image then if their downloads are restricted :dadjoke:

even rightclick => copy image url? because you can also search by direct image url

wow good job.

how can you see the image then if their downloads are restricted :dadjoke:

even rightclick => copy image url? because you can also search by direct image url

I can see, I just can't download. :cry:

I didn't think to do the URL thing, thanks. But you could also just tell me the answer mr.

The next Deus Ex game

:w00t:

IT'S HAPPENING

2842401-deus1.jpg

:w00t:

oh wait, right, I'll never be able to run this

:catcry:

whats that

had no idea you could search google by picture

Edited by juiceciuj

Guest bitroast

People who say it isn't "work" and it isn't a "job" are denying that it is entertainment and it requires production just as a sitcom or any other performance requires production. The games don't play themselves.

But like I said, "foolish things to say", because he's speaking from a point of ignorance. He hasn't even looked at the guy's youtube channel to see that a large portion of his "content" is game reviews, interviews, etc. It's as if some of the people here are actually envious that someone can make a living doing something they don't hate.

reviews and interviews are obviously in a separate category from lets plays. you point this out straight up by defending the guys channel saying it's mostly reviews and interviews. i don't have a problem with that kind of content. it's specifically Lets Plays that im referring to here. the video i didn't check out was the mario party 10 lets play viddy, which has nothing to do with ignorance and everything to do with the guy taking down his own video in protest of not being happy with the 60% profits of money he's making from youtube sending him money. for playing a party game with his mates and filming.

doing lets plays is not akin to producing a sitcom. sitcom takes writing, producing, editing, man hours from multiple people. being a successful lets player is akin to having an attractive personality and being able to talk interesting things on the fly. and then playing video games and uploading it to video in an unscripted, unedited fashion.

^ and if you prefer your playthrough videos to have minimal talking and personality from the player, then that last aspect is totally moot and makes the whole concept no grander than just watching your housemate play.

maybe I should be paying my housemates and praising their drive to create original, meaningful content.