IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

I jumped on an Amazon deal for a PS4/Bloodborne/Last of Us/$20 gift card....all for $400. It was too good of a deal to pass up. If anyone else is on the fence about upgrading to PS4 for Bloodborne at the moment like I was.

That's an amazing deal! Is it expired, or still going on (I couldn't find it) - provide a link for folks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UZGQ3G4?tag=kinjadeals-20&ascsubtag=c341039f7a21ebd0d1e55faaaff5c57a0776c8aa&rawdata=%5Br%7Chttp%3A%2F%2Fdeals.kinja.com%2Ftodays-best-gaming-deals-ps4-bundle-cheap-amiibo-har-1694519949%2F%2Bshepmcallister%5Bt%7Clink%5Bp%7C1694519949%5Ba%7CB00UZGQ3G4%5Bau%7C5727177402741770316

It's unknown how long it'll last, that's why I jumped on it yesterday when I saw it. Probably not valid outside of the US.

interesting selection of plus games this month. probably stuff i'd never pay for but will check out now. specifically tower of guns, never alone, aaru's awakening, and killzone merc

full list: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/03/31/ps-plus-free-games-for-april-2015/

Never Alone is an amazing game.

also the scariest and most atmospherically oppressive setting i've seen in a videogame, an incredible realization of hp lovecraft's philosophies on horror.

this is exactly why I want to play this game really, really badly. it's right up my alley.

Still loving bloodborne, not finished it yet though.... Where the fuck is the Forbidden Forrest? I've beaten the witches but I can't find this damn forrest.

also the scariest and most atmospherically oppressive setting i've seen in a videogame, an incredible realization of hp lovecraft's philosophies on horror.

this is exactly why I want to play this game really, really badly. it's right up my alley.

It's VERY Lovecraftian so far from where I am in the game and I've heard it only gets more so... It's actually inspired me to pull out my Lovecraft collection. I've noticed direct influences from "Shadow Over Innsmouth", "Beyond The Wall of Sleep" and "The Mysterious Case of Charles Dexter Ward" but I'm sure there are others that have influenced it as well...

Edited by ghOsty

finished bloodborne a few days ago, my favorite game in many many years, and i was there from when demon's souls launched in eu. also the scariest and most atmospherically oppressive setting i've seen in a videogame, an incredible realization of hp lovecraft's philosophies on horror. for me, it's not right to focus on it merely being a "hard game", because the difficulty feels like an organic consequence of the narrative/setting.

How many hours did it end up taking you?

not really sure, about 40-50~? i missed a lot of extra stuff and didn't do a lot with the chalices, saving that for the next playthrough/NG+.

I really wish consoles didn't exist so I wouldn't be deprived of playing games I want to play because exclusives exist. Better yet, I wish I didn't feel a little compelled to spend $500 because I'm forced to if I want to enjoy 1 game. The game looks amazing though. I never played the Dark Souls games, but I play Lords of the Fallen to sate my desire for this style game. It's not nearly as awesome as these games seem to be. The shear variation of mobs is amazing. Lords of the Fallen pales in comparison to that. Also, the character design is so well done. It reminds me of a really fucked up Hayao Miyazaki or something. I love the way they used particle effects and how they designed the flowing elements of certain bosses. The sound design on some of the bosses like that one that screams. Damn, it's good.

I guess I should pick up Dark Souls, but I'm kind of being a bitch about it.

One of my only criticisms of these types of games is that you can break them if you find the right combination of gear. Once they get too easy it becomes less fun for me.

Also, that spider is so nasty...

Edited by AdieuErsatzEnnui

Still loving bloodborne, not finished it yet though.... Where the fuck is the Forbidden Forrest? I've beaten the witches but I can't find this damn forrest.

It's VERY Lovecraftian so far from where I am in the game and I've heard it only gets more so... It's actually inspired me to pull out my Lovecraft collection. I've noticed direct influences from "Shadow Over Innsmouth", "Beyond The Wall of Sleep" and "The Mysterious Case of Charles Dexter Ward" but I'm sure there are others that have influenced it as well...

the Victorian/plague angle too, makes it all the more appealing.

couple of questions about bloodborne. do you get different weapons/armor that change your appearance or do you only have that silly switchblade cleaver/musket and the weird hat/coat?

couple of questions about bloodborne. do you get different weapons/armor that change your appearance or do you only have that silly switchblade cleaver/musket and the weird hat/coat?

yes, there;s a bunch of weapons and armor to be found... and from what i gather, there is "uncanny" tiers of those items that can be found only by doing the chalice dungeons... which are as equally cool as they are hard.

also I found the damn forest... and it's pretty damn creepy

Edited by ghOsty

trying to decide between bloodborne and shadow of mordor ..

i played dark souls 2 and loved it for the first couple of days/week, until it felt like i was just wasting time doing the same thing over and over again, so i just stopped. still though, people are going nuts for bloodborne ..

i've only heard good things about shadow of mordor and im currently out of games to play so, yeah.

will i dig bloodborne if dark souls 2 annoyed the shit out of me after about a week?

Bloodborne is 10 times the game Dark Souls II ever was.

The world is so much better, it just sucks you in.

You can unlock items to buy from the Messengers as you progress, or you can find them as loot, or you can complete Chalice Dungeons. It's not as extensive as Demons Souls or Dark Souls I+II but it isn't its main focus, since you need to get stuck in most fights anyway.

Edit: No idea why this isn't in my original post :cerious:

Edited by NorthernFusion

The pace of BB so far has been incredible. I went in thinking I was in for a Van Helsing vampires and werewolves romp... then you just keep going down the rabbit hole and things keep getting weirder. It's not like the game doesn't hint at any of this, what with certain item descriptions and statues starting to look a bit fruity.

So many modern games throw their best stuff for the first few parts of a game and trail off into mediocrity, but BB keeps slow burning its content to unfold the story. There are blockbuster films and books that don't do pace as well as BB. I can forgive most of the disappointments I have, for atmosphere and story alone. And I haven't even finished this thing yet.

The pace of BB so far has been incredible. I went in thinking I was in for a Van Helsing vampires and werewolves romp... then you just keep going down the rabbit hole and things keep getting weirder. It's not like the game doesn't hint at any of this, what with certain item descriptions and statues starting to look a bit fruity.

So many modern games throw their best stuff for the first few parts of a game and trail off into mediocrity, but BB keeps slow burning its content to unfold the story. There are blockbuster films and books that don't do pace as well as BB. I can forgive most of the disappointments I have, for atmosphere and story alone. And I haven't even finished this thing yet.

The "narrative" is outstanding, the world just keeps unfolding as you progress (and as you gain more Insight). It's so good that the limitations compared to the original Souls games doesn't even matter because Bloodborne's world is so much better, this is the most fun I've ever had in a Souls* game.

*regarding it being lead by the same director

finished bloodborne a few days ago, my favorite game in many many years, and i was there from when demon's souls launched in eu. also the scariest and most atmospherically oppressive setting i've seen in a videogame, an incredible realization of hp lovecraft's philosophies on horror. for me, it's not right to focus on it merely being a "hard game", because the difficulty feels like an organic consequence of the narrative/setting.

not really sure, about 40-50~? i missed a lot of extra stuff and didn't do a lot with the chalices, saving that for the next playthrough/NG+.

I really wish consoles didn't exist so I wouldn't be deprived of playing games I want to play because exclusives exist. Better yet, I wish I didn't feel a little compelled to spend $500 because I'm forced to if I want to enjoy 1 game. The game looks amazing though. I never played the Dark Souls games, but I play Lords of the Fallen to sate my desire for this style game. It's not nearly as awesome as these games seem to be. The shear variation of mobs is amazing. Lords of the Fallen pales in comparison to that. Also, the character design is so well done. It reminds me of a really fucked up Hayao Miyazaki or something. I love the way they used particle effects and how they designed the flowing elements of certain bosses. The sound design on some of the bosses like that one that screams. Damn, it's good.

One of my only criticisms of these types of games is that you can break them if you find the right combination of gear. Once they get too easy it becomes less fun for me.

Get Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin so you get all the DLC. Dark Souls II is really good, especially when coupled with the DLC that fleshes out the story a bit more.

Get Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin so you get all the DLC. Dark Souls II is really good, especially when coupled with the DLC that fleshes out the story a bit more.

I disagree, I say go in the deep end with Dark Souls, then you'll see how easy Dark Souls II is. :cisfor:

Whilst you're at it, play Demons Souls too, but the mechanics are way more clunky than the games succeeding it.

Make sure to get it with the dlc, because it's great (but really, really hard).

Edited by NorthernFusion

dark souls 2 was a really good game, not as cleverly designed as the first one but it gets *way* too much shit.

It has the best co-op/PvP out of all of them, but it still pales in comparison location wise, and enemy wise.

Vendrick was pretty cool, though. Looking Glass Knight as well.

Just my 2 cents.

I fixed up a lot of mechanical clunkiness and shortfalls of DkS1, and fixed a lot of multiplayers issues. NG+ was great too, we were really spoiled for the extra content and sheer amount of gear. But man, the world, the level design, general aesthetics... weird corridors leading you to the most bizarre of locales, that fucking elevator that magically takes you to a castle in a volcano in the sky, so much inconsistency and ugliness shows it wasn't From's priority. The PvE combat was pretty dull too, a lot of the game was very easy, and easy to cheese too. I was kind of excited for the rerelease for the PS4 but after BB, it's highlighted how much of a hollow experience it is. The three DLC areas are fantastic though, worth playing those alone, but you need to get halfway through the game to reach them all.

It definitely gets too much shit, I enjoyed it and sunk a lot of time in, but after Demon's/Dark Souls, even King's Field, people expected something more polished from From I guess.

I fixed up a lot of mechanical clunkiness and shortfalls of DkS1, and fixed a lot of multiplayers issues. NG+ was great too, we were really spoiled for the extra content and sheer amount of gear. But man, the world, the level design, general aesthetics... weird corridors leading you to the most bizarre of locales, that fucking elevator that magically takes you to a castle in a volcano in the sky, so much inconsistency and ugliness shows it wasn't From's priority. The PvE combat was pretty dull too, a lot of the game was very easy, and easy to cheese too. I was kind of excited for the rerelease for the PS4 but after BB, it's highlighted how much of a hollow experience it is. The three DLC areas are fantastic though, worth playing those alone, but you need to get halfway through the game to reach them all.

It definitely gets too much shit, I enjoyed it and sunk a lot of time in, but after Demon's/Dark Souls, even King's Field, people expected something more polished from From I guess.

I hadn't even played the DLC, which was why I wanted to pick up the remaster, Bloodborne has ruined that plan sadly.

:catrage:

Dark Souls 2's pvp still is broken though, because of the limited amount of "consumables" that are required for the matchmaking. Couldn't invade/help as much as I wanted.

Also, the way all the locations were linked was cringeworthy.

Still enjoyed the game though, I finished it three times. I had a character called Aphex Gwyn :emotawesomepm9:

Edited by Perezvon