IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Sekiro is kicking my ass but it's my own fault. It's not just dark souls super parry samurai fun time, it requires really twisting play style to fit exactly what it wants. That might turn a lot of people off.

Do you own a switch, bitchy? What do you think of what Nintendo is doing?

love the switch. i think what they're doing is great.

compare it to vita, where they they were similarly targeting console type experience on a handheld (Sony published vita versions of Uncharted and Killzone, Vita being able to stream games from PS4 and play on handheld) but not even having 1:1 button of a standard PS4 controller (only 1 set of L R shoulder buttons, joysticks didn't click in as L3 and R3). Vita just seemed confused out of the gate, and failing to reach an massive audience never really came as a surprise... which then meant no audience = no one bothered to publish or make games for it.

switch out of the gate had a solid launch line up and built an steady player base nice and early (giving publishers reason to want to release games on the system and sell lots of copies). nintendo have also done a lot of great work making the system easy to develop for, and reaching out to a lot of indie developers to get their games on the switch system. i remember reading twitter posts and the like of game developers pretty much confirming that they had been approached by nintendo, instead of the other way around.

i also think, the switch being what it is, is perfectly in tune with a lot of gaming audience today, who enjoy playing games while having "content" or something playing on a tv/computer screen in the background.

my positive experience with switch may have something to do with also owning a PS4 and a PC. i loved the PS4 at first, but after awhile the asking price of PS+ just felt really shitty + it was also getting to the point of all the games i was interested in were also being released on PC. i tried Horizon Zero Dawn, for example, and thought it was garbage. I tried God of war for example, and i thought it was garbage. Bloodborne was the only exclusive PS4 game i actually cared about and loved. Naughty Dog are good too i guess! But i reckon owning a PC and PS4 has too much overlap and the asking price of needing to pay $80 a year to play PS4 games online, when i can play the same games on PC... online for free.. + better performance.... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Like, i understand building and maintaining a PC is a massive chore and not an easy task for a lot of people (myself included) ... but i dunno. I'm very much at a point where a game having amazing graphics doesn't cut it if the game itself is going to be boring. and the Switch pretty much lines up with my needs perfectly.

LOL @ God of War being 'garbage' All those Game of the Year awards seem to disagree with you on that point.

That’s poorly applied logic, and clearly trolling surely…

Have you played it? I have (all the way through; didn't do a lot of the sidequests). It's a great game, and (I feel) very deserving of the praise it gets.

I haven't played it no. I also haven't watched Bohemian Rhapsody, but I know that I would hate it. But that also won a load of awards, so I guess I must be wrong?

I just think that using the logic of awards = greatness is a bit flawed.

edit: btw I love Queen and their music, so that's not why I'd hate it.

Well, you're missing out - BR is a great movie, and a wonderful tribute to Mercury/Queen.

I guess the way he states "it's garbage" like it was fact makes (triggers) me to point out that person is in the minority about something being subjectively good or bad.

Add to the fact that millions of people bought GoW, so likely not a 'fluke' it got the awards and praise it has...

Think you're being triggered a bit too easily, he says he thought it was garbage. Not that it is garbage, as a statement of uncontestable fact.

But you seem hell bent on this logic, so… :watmm:

That's true - I did miss the 'thought' part. Opinions, internet, etc. :dadjoke:

don’t think so. all the variations they’re using are different builds that require you to hold the switch screen/eyepiece physically to your head. so there’ll be different builds, and the building part is a big chunk of the ‘game’. pushing lots of cardboard out of lots of prefab precut sheets of cardboard, and lots of folding. takes a wee while but it can be fun and “meditative” in an ikea / lego (/ manual labour) kinda way. the labo stuff has all been very self contained, so other than the vehicle kit working with mario kart 8 (not greatly. the foot pedal for example is meant to have an analog precision between lightly putting foot down and putting foot all the way down, but in mario kart it was just a binary accelerate on or off kind of input), the labo equipment has been pretty tied to the software that comes in the package.

i think the labo stuff is pretty cool but it’s good to know what it *is*. it really is 90% the build.

Edited by bitchroast

also regarding plastic^

labo by design isn’t possible with anything other than cardboard. the build requires folding and layering up the sheets of cardboard. very specifically engineered for cardboard. it’s kinda totally a kids thing lol, to build toys out of cardboard and then play with it.

Edited by bitchroast

Sekiro is kicking my ass all over the place, it's fucking HARD. Also definitely not just Samurai Souls reskin, the combat is quite different mechanically, very fast and deadly, much more so than Bloodborne. The stealth and verticality of approach is an interesting addition to the dynamic. Adjusting away from Souls habits is a challenging process but I've been making progress a little at a time.

Edited by ghOsty

agreed on sekiro ^

unlearning bad habits from souls and bloodborne is taking it's sweet ass time on my part, but i'm slowly getting the hang of it. 

game's so good though !! i was worried about it being single player at first, not having online summons to lean on and take the edge off during difficult boss fights.

this game is just way more focused for it tho, between the level design + enemy encounters + difficulty curve and leveling up, it all just feels way more focused and like the developers have got a much firmer grip on the player experience here.

and visually, it looks better than anything they've done prior as well. whole thing is seemingly potentially their best game yet i think ??? :^)

also it being online only means there's a considerable amount of "goofiness" that's taken out of the equation this time round. still some subtle goofy humour though but it's overall feeling much more focused and stylistic. 

Edited by bitchroast

in sekiro during clutch situations i use my dark souls muscle memory and press left trigger to parry... which is the grapple button... FUCK. also dark souls: remastered automatically detected dualshock 4 controllers and changed the button prompts accordingly, c'mon FROM why is this feature absent from sekiro...

Warning: unrelated to Sekiro

Hyped for these two, but cautiously so. I really hope they don't end up in the clutches of the Epic Spyware Store for their first year on the market. Epic can eat a dick.

Warning: unrelated to Sekiro

Hyped for these two, but cautiously so. I really hope they don't end up in the clutches of the Epic Spyware Store for their first year on the market. Epic can eat a dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nHf_ejvqA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j--cFOyeT7E

Holy shit is right, there’s a new Oddworld game coming!?

Oh man, I loved it! The stuff that goes down on the island was not the beat but the change of scenery was amazing. God damn, that game is so fucking good!

sekiro is kicking my ass also, i love the game so far though and how from can always make a world seem much larger than what it actually is with their maze design. the fighting is awsome - with common enemies im doing a lot of stealth atm which isn't a good idea if u want to level up, but i found in most cases u can be undetected all the way to an item, if very sneaky and patient. im trying the defensive approach when in combat as well much less now though that i found the axe prosthetic addition. but the bosses... holy fuck, made to the drunkard with some help, but yeah i don't im ready for that fat bastard, also made it to the one on the horse and holy mother of god...

the sort of smaller bosses leading to these were difficult too (chained ogre) however i found getting rid of surrounding enemies with stealth and then getting a sneaky first deathblow on the boss leaves u in a good position for a final deathblow. so much to delve into got work though fml

I'm making okay progress on Sekiro, beat the first actual boss (not mini) and progressed a little further..Mman this game is tough, made even tougher by the slight input lag on the shitty hotel TV's hookup interface (still haven't moved back home post-fire.)  

Getting an initial stealth drop on mini-bosses when possible seems the smart thing to do, dunno how I'd have beat a couple without it.

I'm making okay progress on Sekiro, beat the first actual boss (not mini) and progressed a little further..Mman this game is tough, made even tougher by the slight input lag on the shitty hotel TV's hookup interface (still haven't moved back home post-fire.)  

Getting an initial stealth drop on mini-bosses when possible seems the smart thing to do, dunno how I'd have beat a couple without it.

Yeah it's a real guessing game for me as too whether a boss will do a sweep or thrust attack for example, and if I jump or deflect or do a shinobi skill, it may be too much of a guessing game for now so yeah a stealth deathblow came in handy. i was thinking, for bosses or mini bosses that need 2 deathblows, does that mean they ressurect also? maybe something unimportant to mention.

sekiro is kicking my ass also, ... fml

just a tip for one of the bosses you mentioned

regarding the horse back boss

in the area before the boss, there are some conversations you can eaves drop in on that might give a hint ...

making reference to a possible item or weapon you may not have yet ......

Edited by bitchroast

sekiro is kicking my ass also, ... fml

just a tip for one of the bosses you mentioned

regarding the horse back boss

in the area before the boss, there are some conversations you can eaves drop in on that might give a hint ...

making reference to a possible item or weapon you may not have yet ......

ohh thanks man, im guessing something to scare the horsey?

In the same boat of trying to unlearn all that muscle memory from Soulsbourne for Sekiro. It's fucking great though. Managed to beat horsey dude and butterfly lady so the game is opening up a lot more now. I'm slowly gitting gud, agree with one comment about how hard it can be to see move telegraphs sometimes eg dont know if they're going to sweep or thrust or whatever.

yeah,it seems a bit"rock,paper,scissors" to me,love the stealth altho i wish you could hide bodies/silent kill,apart from the difficulty tho,its exactly what i hoped for when i pre-ordered,darksouls with stealth/tenchu on steroids,love it

also playing dirt rally 2.0,career mode,so addictive

Edited by sunshine recorder

Managed to beat horsey dude and butterfly lady so the game is opening up a lot more now.

Ugh, Lady Butterfly is giving me hell.... I've heard that fight is actually supposed to be more of a mid-game thing you come back to? Seems a lot of people are championing through it, her second phase gets me everytime, it's that damn homing magic attack she does while I'm rushing her.

Edited by ghOsty

lol the second phase was such a kick in the nuts when you feel like you've mastered the first, a big old "fuck you" - one little tip, remember the shuriken is particularly effective against enemies in the air

and yeah without spoiling much you can come back later