IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Amber may sound corny, only because Autechre are so damned good at evolving and bettering themselves on most releases since then.

It's still a brilliant album, it only looses its edge once you immerse yourself in all their subsequent releases imo

interesting, well from what happened on with the Quaristice promo is I distinctly remember that AE expressed anger towards the Wire's radio show for playing 3 tracks from the album 'too early' (whatever that means). Ae seems to be fixated on the mystery aspect, and throw a dash of OCD controlling-ness into that as well.

interesting, well from what happened on with the Quaristice promo is I distinctly remember that AE expressed anger towards the Wire's radio show for playing 3 tracks from the album 'too early' (whatever that means). Ae seems to be fixated on the mystery aspect, and throw a dash of OCD controlling-ness into that as well.

They were only angry because one of the tracks sounded better with murkier quality, lol.

I wonder which one it was... I reckon it was rale.

It's refreshing to finally meet some æ fans. I've only ever met them at shows.

I think I heard in a recent interview one of them said their earlier shit was "corny." I still like it, though. Clipper? Fucking classic. I mean, technological limitations being what they were... also I'm sure they were different people. Still, call me a philistine... when I hear a sick sound in an Autechre sound I can't help but wish it would REPEAT. I'm dying for an Autechre song with a hook.

Yeah like most artists the tracks that they love are probably totally different from the listeners, because they remember more about HOW they were made than the pure aural experience of encountering them for the first time.

And fuck the "corny" hate. "Doctrine" is corny as all hell, but it's made like a frigging lego goliath, where everything fits together just perfectly - the slightly annoying and certainly corny "BWEEEERK" sound giving way to the epic lush synth melody - if it didn't start corny, it wouldn't be nearly as good. It's very S&M, salty and sweet, sweet and sour, etc.

Guest Balance
I hope bladelores is to Exai as Tankakern is to Quaristice or Surripere is to Draft 7.30, I also hope those track lengths are accurate so this makes sense.

I wonder what 10 whole minutes of "irlite (get 0)" will be like.

Like rew 1 maybe, but more ghetto

unless something significant happens.... there's not much to talk about innit...

This is watmm. We're able to fill decades of talk about a supposed new boc. Easily.

My bet: 100 before the leak.

So am I the only one who noticed that spl9 got taken down from Youtube? I don't even recall where else I had it for listening to.

I noticed this as well. I'm a bit apprehensive to be the one to reupload it though, because when I uploaded a Ufabulum track after that album released and got copyright noticed for it that basically made it no viewable in 90% of all countries. I still have no problems with the Autechre tracks I uploaded in 2010, which is weird. I'm considering putting spl9 up, but I don't know.

yep! did any iterations of these tracks makes it onto Incunabula or Amber? Incunabula came out at the end of 1993, i wonder what the exact date on this show was.

Well the sort of waspy vocal buzzing sample in part 3 here (say around 1 minute in) is at the end of kalpol intro.. aside from that I can't say. it's very similar to their incunabula work. you could practically lay a track like eggshell over top of it with a bit of time stretching.. same key, similar progression.

nice stuff, haven't heard it before!

You mean in part 2/the second video posted? That little rough, robotic murmur that comes in around 1:15 is clearly in Kalpol Introl (about 1:30 into it and from then one occasionally), also at the very beginning of Bike. A lot of it is very clear they're working with the overall same sound palette, but it still sounds really neat and a lot of it isn't clearly the exact same structure or "yeah, we tweaked a couple things." That is to me, at least.

Edit: I really fucking hate the way quotes work now when you click to quote a poster.

Edited by Xyrofen

unless something significant happens.... there's not much to talk about innit...

This is watmm. We're able to fill decades of talk about a supposed new boc. Easily.

My bet: 100 before the leak.

Let's do our best to get to the 100