IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

halfway through my first full listen...making track notes/review as i go...so far my summary of the album is 'hey look at all these awesome filters and synths! wanna just make a whole album where we twist knobs and bang keys?' 'fuck yeah lush'

edit: and god said 'let it be the lushest' and so it was

Am I the only one who thinks Netlon Sentinel could easily be a track on this album

agreed. i think it's the way they're burying the drums in the mix/under the synths/in their own reverb that is so similar

Edited by auxien

i've only been able to listen up to t ess xi in the car, had to go pick up some smoke -- just from these first tracks, exai is sexai..... it makes for some dramatic driving music, kind of got my heart rate up on the turnpike.. now it's time to get phased and headphone the whole thing

Edited by Polymershapes

This album feels huge! You think you have a grasp on a track when suddenly a more foregrounded sound comes in making you realize that it is a wider canvas. You were just staring at a specific point in the distance the whole time. For this reason the compositions feel cryptically self-aware to me.

Great description!

I'm surprised nobody has said this yet but album of the year 2013?

I know you're all gonna throw shit at me but it's gonna be a tough one between this and the new PVT for me.

1. FLeure - ending is awesome, in a Vose In kinda way...just destruction and reconstructions of tones thrown at you. maybe not their best opener, but wins me over by the end for sure

2. irlite (get 0) - dense as fuck! them synths are making their presence felt. the 'movements' of this piece are rather interesting. a lot to be explored on further listens....get an Untilted vibe to this one almost. the way the drums rise and fall in volume is quite brilliant and would sound like shit in less accomplished hands than theirs.

3. prac-f - the guys from Stomp! make an appearance! the ending of the track calls back to another AE track i can't quite place.

4. jatevee C - banger. banger. dat bass drum. Quaristice-era style melody all up in it

5. T ess xi - first impression is it's almost got an 80's video game feel. drums are just growing in every way...then the change hits and it sounds like they mined some Drukqs-era Aphex for samples. it must've taken some balls to put out something that sounds like this...it's such a strange mix of styles. very well done though.

6. vekoS - anyone complaining about 'weak sound design' or whatever needs to fuck off and listen to just the beginning of this. the subtlety and space given to the sounds is immaculate. more Untilted style organic growth within the track. almost Draft sounding drums/synth combinations. then we fall into a sewage pipe halfway through with the bassist from Oversteps playing for us as we twist and turn

7. Flep - reminds me of what Fol3 might've sounded like with real-ish drums instead of noises and distorted swishes and shit. reverb is the star here. locks into a nice groove after a couple minutes, reminds me of Gescom. melodies are being denied entry at every turn. beat gets awesome at the end. fucking awesome. makes the song.

8. tuinorizn - lol those first seconds. BANGER BAET...straight outta tri rep sound wise. oversteps synths detuned and bitchy. beat turns VERY pop/hip hop for a second

9. bladelores - HOLY SHIT THIS IS BLADELORES? sounds like they're fucking testing out the system at first....'does this synth work?' 'yeah' 'hey, why's everything sound so lo-fi?' 'turn off the vekoS sewage pipe effect' 'oh yeah forgot to turn that off thanks' 'let's test some more synths?' 'sure!' 'hey, that's a cheesy rhythm!' 'yeah lol taking the piss...wait are we recording this?' 'fuck yeah' best track ever. pretty sure one of them was masturbating whilst making this. fuck when the drums drop out in the middle.......unghhhhhh god damnnnn definition of lush.

10. 1 1 is - melodies in here are actually pretty good, though they're all jumbled up together oddly. which is of course lush. those industrial snares. awesome rhythmic play towards the end, still slow but well done. one of the synths from Garbagemx shows up loudly and is pissed it hasn't been used in 15 years.

11. nodezsh - lol wtf intro, very Quaristice. draft-y beat manipulation but less awesome and less interesting. dramatic chords on synths because otherwise everyone would laugh at us. i actually find it hard to believe that this track is on the album, and that it's almost 9 minutes. meh.

12. runrepik - wtf is this doing on the album part 2. gets more interesting, but still not piquing my interest yet.

13. spl9 - love the breathing in sound before this kicks in. love the 'chorus' in here, the synths are so fucking brutal. rhythm turn toward the end....fucking awesome. great ending. this track might be the best so far.

14. cloudline - very trippy synths going on. is that real vinyl crackles in the drums? a few times in this i had flashbacks to other songs of theirs...hard to place on first listen. are they recycling?

15. deco Loc - very Move of Ten. but better. lol those vocals, that wood sound snare-replacement.

16. recks on - 80's like a motherfucking boss. this is too awesome to be real. are AE really doing this? fuckingbonerforever. that bass that comes in strong halfway through yes. turns the whole track dirty and old. reminds me of irlite (get 0) in ways here...perhaps the same bass synth? the drum changes at the end are still ace. surprisingly simple though. but spot on. great track.

17. YJY UX - these first moments are giving me a heart attack at how great these sounds are gonna be. reminding me of Nuane, Drane2, Cep puiqMX. seals the album up amazingly well. that rocking melody they introduce towards the end....this whole thing will only get better on further listens.

25887x94.jpg

XI x XI (121)

11 x 11 (121 characters)

every character gets a square - but is there a code behind it and is it in the right order (maybe backwards, bustrophedon, upside down, etc)?

maybe you can make sense out of it.

listens Exai for the 4th time and vekoS beautifully fades....

Edited by Das Gespenst

i've got mad love for fleure...a worthy opening track imo.

agreed, love the buried melody, it whetted my appetite for more, and then...wtf? Still digesting the album, it's a big massive beast, but Fleure is one of the most memorable tracks

Guest RadarJammer

finally gave it a listen and it surprisingly didn't strike me in any way. it feels like it just hums along. when sean and rob are away the gear gossips about general hospital and american idol, luckily rob thought he would slip a secret recording device in the laundry to see if nord modular was talking shit behind his back.

I love reading this thread. I am about half way through and people are talking about tracks that come later in the album while I am enjoying the shit out of tracks happening right now. Currently on Flep. Pretty fucking cool.