IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

The first half hasn't properly clicked with me yet; it has some really great moments but like every other Ae album I still need to memorise some parts before I can truly appreciate it. Part two, however, oh boy. So fucking good. I have a feeling I'm gonna wear the third and fourth records out from frequent playing.. as long as the packaging isn't excessive like with Oversteps, zole.

The first half hasn't properly clicked with me yet; it has some really great moments but like every other Ae album I still need to memorise some parts before I can truly appreciate it. Part two, however, oh boy. So fucking good. I have a feeling I'm gonna wear the third and fourth records out from frequent playing.. as long as the packaging isn't excessive like with Oversteps, zole.

Why are those the ones that get you? For me, it's the Jatavee C - Tess ix combo that is killer. The kicks and snares are just punching you in the face.

Those tracks especially, but also others on the album, I've found the snares (and the high-pitched blips chords in T ess xi) to be quite 'rushed' in the sense of hitting waaay early, giving the album several moments of seeming as if it is building momentum by speeding up or otherwise getting ahead of itself. It's an interesting, hyper contrast to the other tracks that are lower-tempo and overall more laid-back sounding.

Why are those the ones that get you? For me, it's the Jatavee C - Tess ix combo that is killer. The kicks and snares are just punching you in the face.

Those tracks especially, but also others on the album, I've found the snares (and the high-pitched blips chords in T ess xi) to be quite 'rushed' in the sense of hitting waaay early, giving the album several moments of seeming as if it is building momentum by speeding up or otherwise getting ahead of itself. It's an interesting, hyper contrast to the other tracks that are lower-tempo and overall more laid-back sounding.

T ess xi is definitely a highlight of the first disc for me. That little melodic twitch at ~3:01 gets me every time. So fucking jazzy!

Also, Flep's little nod to V-proc, and then Tuinorizn's subtle chord progression. And the Bladelores chords, obviously.

Other than that, I think there's still a bit to unlock here. I'm probably nowhere near the amount of listens you guys are at though, so take my opinions with a grain of salt or your favourite spice. It's funny though that the second half feels more immediate to me.

trying to tell if there is digital noise in 1 1 is or if my copy is fucked up. I don't remember hearing it for a long time but now it's all I can hear.

Take a look on a spectrum analyzer, like the one in foobar. I think you'll see a very high frequency peak for the duration of the track.

Guest Roksen Creek

trying to tell if there is digital noise in 1 1 is or if my copy is fucked up. I don't remember hearing it for a long time but now it's all I can hear.

Are you listening on speakers or headphones? On speakers I can hear like a digital noise, a bit like when a CD is scratched. I can't hear it on headphones, which would suggest it is supposed to be there but comes out odd on my speakers :/

T ess xi is definitely a highlight of the first disc for me. That little melodic twitch at ~3:01 gets me every time. So fucking jazzy!

In the midst of the rest of the sounds, it reminds me of a saxophonist wolfing out, like at the end of Bowie's "I'm Deranged." But then later on when you can hear it on its own, it sounds more like Mahavishnu Orchestra flute :-p

The delayed, crackly scintillating pads on Jatevee are my fav. sound on the album right now. It feels really good on headphones.

The delayed, crackly scintillating pads on Jatevee are my fav. sound on the album right now. It feels really good on headphones.

I didn't get it at all. I was bored by Jatevee. I need a further try.

I'm digging this album more than I thought I would, and I'm highly anticipating the arrival of the vinyl. Are those Exai stickers in that Bleep shot? I better get some of those goddamn stickers, if they are!

vinyl has arrived at bleep

http://instagram.com/p/V9Z-q6MI5T/

I wonder what those circular things are? they're definitely not CDs, since there's no hole in the centre...

They're Exai promo cards/postcards.

weird shape!

thanks for the additional info, I wonder if we'll all get some?