IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Finally my vinyl is arrived!!!! Superhappysupersuperhappy about it!|!! The artwork makes more sense with the materic effect, the same rigid cardboard sleeve used in the ep collection, I love it. The stickers are pretty neat. The sound is awesome. YJY UX I'm cumming.

I'm pretty sure they did a second run of Oversteps to meet demand. I remember them being out of stock for a while on Bleep and then all of sudden back in stock.

So that was while the album was still fresh/actual. What i need is Con-Draft-Unt-Quari vinyls. Yes, i could find them on the net but used and for several millions of money. I want them perfectly fresh, still with toxic off-gasing. :music:

ahhh, well...

I know they did a repress of Chiastic Slide, since the copy I own is one of the represses unfortunately. I also believe that the repress was made quite a while after the initial run.

It might happen, but I guess that's up to Warp to do it...

Anyway, starting to like FLeure a lot. i got it stuck in my head. Good to see Ae returning to their first up tempo intro since LCC. it's a catchy little number.

Edited by Schlitze

Anyway, starting to like FLeure a lot. i got it stuck in my head. Good to see Ae returning to their first up tempo intro since LCC. it's a catchy little number.

yeah it's a great track. but it's like 'hey! we could do an entire album of awesome crazy shit like this track!' ...here's 2 hours of swishy shit! :emotawesomepm9:

i just bought the album and listened to fleure but nothing else. it blew me away, the blurpy chord progression in the pad/bass line is amazing. such a well-structured track. im excited for the rest of the album.

Looks like I'm facing an extra customs charge for the Japanese CD as well (not for the first bastard time) judging by the tracking status from Parcel Force. Like it hasn't cost enough already. Hope S+R appreciate this.

Guest jasondonervan

Which edition did you order, Caretstik? I didn't realise until earlier this evening that the one I have is limited to 2000 copies. And has even more stickers!

R-4350815-1362554085-4065.jpeg

"Limited edition of 2000 copies. Comes in a spot-gloss debossed sleeve with an individual cardsleeve insert for each disc. Rear of outer sleeve has a sticker with full track listing. Also includes OBI, a four-panel sticker sheet, and an additional insert with Japanese liner notes."

Guest the anonymous forumite

I now like vekoS a bit more than what I did before, yet two things continue to bother me:

1) the drum sounds

2) the whispering, which sounds like a bad cliche taken from a z-horror movie. It's absolutely awful and kitsch in the negative sense of the word. I pretty much think that this whispering sample is Ae first contact with bad taste. Apalling.

Which edition did you order, Caretstik? I didn't realise until earlier this evening that the one I have is limited to 2000 copies. And has even more stickers!

R-4350815-1362554085-4065.jpeg

"Limited edition of 2000 copies. Comes in a spot-gloss debossed sleeve with an individual cardsleeve insert for each disc. Rear of outer sleeve has a sticker with full track listing. Also includes OBI, a four-panel sticker sheet, and an additional insert with Japanese liner notes."

I ordered the 'limited first edition' as well. Turns out I've got to pay an additional ransom of £18 to Her Bastard Majesty's Customs and Extortion. Oh well, still excited about picking this up later. Plus at least the bonus track is more than the customary two-minute noise fart, and I have a definite fetish for obi strips.

goddamn, cloudline is so ridiculously excellent. Does anyone else think that the twinkly sound in the background could possibly be a sample from say, a hiphop track?

I now like vekoS a bit more than what I did before, yet two things continue to bother me:

1) the drum sounds

2) the whispering, which sounds like a bad cliche taken from a z-horror movie. It's absolutely awful and kitsch in the negative sense of the word. I pretty much think that this whispering sample is Ae first contact with bad taste. Apalling.

surprised! That's my favorite track off the album I think.

I havent received my vinyl copy yet and I pre ordered... should i be worried?

Just checked where you are and no probably not yet - I only got mine on Monday and I live practically down the road

1) the drum sounds

surprised! That's my favorite track off the album I think.

I like the drum sounds there and think the whispering or whatever is weird, but fine.

However, there are some sounds on this album that I really don't like, and I don't know if it's because they sound out of place in the context of current autechre, or if they're just not to my taste:

I don't dislike them, but overall the bass synth sounds seem a little thin and cheesy to me, like the noodling bass toward the end of irlite,

I don't like the ringmod sound on top of the snare at the beginning of prac-f, and the looped sample that comes in at1:29 is a cool melody, but it makes me think of like the Crystal Method or something from the '90s. Similarly, the high-pitched synth stuff at the end of tuinorizn (~3:17) reminds me of Winter in the Belly of a Snake, in a bad way.

I also hate the drum sounds in Flep -- I don't know if it's the sound themselves or the way they're programmed to stutter like they do, but it just sounds like an old FL stock sample? No, that's not the right way to put it -- but it just sounds kind of old-school IDM cliche to me. I feel like an asshole saying that, but it makes me want to skip the track as soon as it starts with that big stutter!

I love the chords in bladelores, but not the sound of the pads that make those chords -- is it just that I don't like the kinds of synths they're using? They just sound so 'classic electronica' to me. Which isn't exactly fair of me -- why should autechre have to only use the most fucked up, alien-sounding synths? But those are the autechre sounds I like best, which is why my two favorite tracks on the album are jatevee C and T ess xi.

I also don't like the harsh digital distortion on the higher, bell-like synths in YJY UX, for much the same reason -- it just sounds ugly to me!

That said, I love this album! Just nitpicking here and wondering if anyone else is turned off by some of the sounds on the record.

i wish i could articulate shit the way some of you can. my dumb ass is just reduced to saying things like recks on is so fucking dope! i love dem beats!

Guest the anonymous forumite

i wish i could articulate shit the way some of you can. my dumb ass is just reduced to saying things like recks on is so fucking dope! i love dem beats!

Same here, I could never be a critic.

Guest Sprigg

First impression: Interesting album, like LP5 mashed up with Oversteps and Quaristice. Not the strongest, not the worst. The first half had me completely entranced, but after 1 1 is, it lost my attention almost entirely up until recks on.

Highlights: Jatevee C, bladelores, 1 1 is, recks on. Jatevee C might be one of my favourite Ae tracks yet.