IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Woah what! Flep is like 6ie.cr and v-proc mashed into psychedelic hiphop oblivion!

Not sure why, I just don't like it.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mr+horse+no+sir+i+don%27t+like+it&oq=mr+horse+no+&gs_l=youtube.3.0.0l2.38.1057.0.1872.8.6.0.2.2.1.180.678.1j5.6.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.mc6LsDacInA

Edited by StephenG

nodezsh is neck and neck with second bad vilbel as probably the most sinister sounding thing they've done

Nodezsh is a track I keep coming back to. That run of 11 is...nodezsh...runrepik...spl9 is just incredible. It's the sound of two guys that have totally mastered their equipment, right at the top of their game imo.

Still can't grasp the wonky drums :/

Woah what! Flep is like 6ie.cr and v-proc mashed into psychedelic hiphop oblivion!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mr+horse+no+sir+i+don%27t+like+it&oq=mr+horse+no+&gs_l=youtube.3.0.0l2.38.1057.0.1872.8.6.0.2.2.1.180.678.1j5.6.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.mc6LsDacInA

ehm

having a hard time posting youtubes?

I always skip Flep. Fuck Flep.

same, only one I don't like on the whole double album.

I meant to ask a while back if you ended up liking the album?

I love Exai. It's their best since Untilted, and their most enjoyable since EP7. There's a good portion of Ae's music that I find praiseworthy, original, and innovative, but not enjoyable; but that's not the case with Exai. It's a really fun album, in a sense.

ehm

having a hard time posting youtubes?

Yes actually! How'd you do it? I'm... special. Used to work fine if I just posted the link, do I have to do something different now?

I always skip Flep. Fuck Flep.

same, only one I don't like on the whole double album.

I meant to ask a while back if you ended up liking the album?

I love Exai. It's their best since Untilted, and their most enjoyable since EP7. There's a good portion of Ae's music that I find praiseworthy, original, and innovative, but not enjoyable; but that's not the case with Exai. It's a really fun album, in a sense.

Sweet, glad you enjoyed it too. It's hands down my favorite release by them. Like you said, I find it enjoyable, not just challenging or technically impressive/difficult etc. Even confield, which I find brilliant, doesn't get as much playing time as exai or even quaristice because I simply find these latter albums more enjoyable.

cheers

How'd you do it? I'm... special. Used to work fine if I just posted the link, do I have to do something different now?

Well from the link it looks like you just posted a list of the videos matching the search query ' mr horse no sir i don't like it' rather than any specific video.

How'd you do it? I'm... special. Used to work fine if I just posted the link, do I have to do something different now?

Well from the link it looks like you just posted a list of the videos matching the search query ' mr horse no sir i don't like it' rather than any specific video.

Yeah, I guess so. User error, sorry sorry. =(

nodezsh is neck and neck with second bad vilbel as probably the most sinister sounding thing they've done

Nodezsh, it's the ominous threatening younger brother of Etchogon-S

Nodezsh, it's the ominous threatening younger brother of Etchogon-S

good theory

I shall put it to the test when I spin Oversteps next

Guest theSun

nodezsh and runrepik are growing, but i still don't love them.

cloudline still blows.

and runrepik is still in 5s to my ears (from some other thread). in fact, i did a survey of people at work who make various kinds of music. 1 out of 4 people counted it in 4s, the other 3 counted it in 5s just like me.

the nodeszh synths are used on quaristice/quaristice live set synths. anyone know what hardware they use for that specifically?

Guest Rulohead32

so is there anyone so much into it considering it the best release they ever did?

no

But I somehow lately find Exai and Oversteps a complementation.

I mean, Exai is the missing beats of Oversteps, and Oversteps is the missing harmony that lacks in Exai.

They can even be treated as if they recorded an album and before mixing, they first released the melodic parts of every song and 3 years later they rescued the beat parts and released them again.

Edited by Rulohead32

so is there anyone so much into it considering it the best release they ever did?

I would put it top three. I can't recall ever being as obsessed with an Autechre work upon its release as Exai.

It seems like they've found a middle ground between Tri Repetae/Chiastic era with the Confield/Untitled.

The more time passes the more I consider it. Draft, Confield and Untilted are so firmly in my favourites because of how they've not bored me at all as time has passed. Exai so far is standing the test of time, I adore it but it'll need a few more months before I know.

I don't dislike a single track though, so that's a major plus.

and runrepik is still in 5s to my ears (from some other thread). in fact, i did a survey of people at work who make various kinds of music. 1 out of 4 people counted it in 4s, the other 3 counted it in 5s just like me.

Woah what? To me it's a pretty rigid 4/4 pattern. Like, each hit can be placed nicely on a 16th note grid.

Woah what? To me it's a pretty rigid 4/4 pattern. Like, each hit can be placed nicely on a 16th note grid.

It's a polymeter pattern - the drums are in 4/4 meter and the bass is in 5/8 meter (at least from the start and for a while). The patterns align every 40 (or is it 20?) quarter notes.

Check the explanation and the "Beat Preserving Polymeter 4/4 with 5/8" video here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meter_(music)#Polymeter

Edited by psn

Ah right, I did think that might be what you meant as I was listening to the other elements of the track! Interesting; I'll have to pay more attention next time I listen!

This guy manages to squeeze out quite a few Exai-ish sounds from his MonoMachine:

For instance:

- deco loc drums around 8-10 minutes

- cloudlines "lead" around 40 minutes

Guest theSun

It's a polymeter pattern - the drums are in 4/4 meter and the bass is in 5/8 meter (at least from the start and for a while). The patterns align every 40 (or is it 20?) quarter notes.

Check the explanation and the "Beat Preserving Polymeter 4/4 with 5/8" video here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meter_(music)#Polymeter

thank you!!!!!

psn i want to kiss your luscious lips - i figured there was a polymeter of some sort but i simply cannot make myself hear a groove in 4s.

Right now I would rank it 3 after Chiastic and Draft. So pretty fucking highly. But who knows how I'll feel in a year or two.