IGNORED

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

beerwolf

I remember walking into my local hmv and the dude behind the counter dropped Geek U.S.A and I instantly and simultaneously got my mind blown into smithereens! I went up to the counter and was like ‘what on Earth is this???!!! It’s fucking amazing!!’

And of course it was The Pumpkins. Just one of those moments that explode inside of you. I didn’t have to play that album a dozen times to get into it. Most of it just rips from the very first play. Thankfully I also learned a long time ago to avoid overplaying albums and as best avoid sources that did. So this still sounds great.

MCATIS is a bit of a chore compared to that. Still a classic though. 

• Like 2

I just put on Pisces Iscariot and this is a trip down memory lane as well. I forgot how good this compilation is. I never bothered to dig in to The Aeroplane. Think I'll have to make me a playlist right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scumtron said:

I just put on Pisces Iscariot and this is a trip down memory lane as well. I forgot how good this compilation is. I never bothered to dig in to The Aeroplane. Think I'll have to make me a playlist right now. 

aeroplane feels a bit bloated overall, but its highlights destroy anything on pisces

18 hours ago, hijexx said:

Zero was the first MP3 I ever downloaded, think it was 1996. It fit on a 3.5" floppy, kinda blew my mind at the time.

I'm curious, do you remember what you used to download it back in '96? an FTP site? '96 was of course pre-napster, which is the point in time when I can recall first starting to download mp3's. 

I try sometimes to remember my early days of using the internet (think it was around '94), and there are a whole lot of blanks in my memory as to where exactly I was going online back then.

4 minutes ago, zero said:

I'm curious, do you remember what you used to download it back in '96?

FTP, DCC on IRC, and binaries newsgroups for the most part yeah. BBSes were pretty much dried up by '96, I think that was the year I finally shut mine down and was full internet from then on.

8 hours ago, scumtron said:

I did the same yesterday, though I also realised they did a remastered version with a 2nd disc of 'new' stuff so I got that. I got interrupted so just getting back to it now, haven't heard the 'new' tracks yet. I also never bothered with the b-sides and outtakes from melon collie, should get around to that at some stage. They turned to garbage after that so can't imagine this new album will be worth listening to. 

13 hours ago, beerwolf said:

I didn’t have to play that album a dozen times to get into it. Most of it just rips from the very first play. Thankfully I also learned a long time ago to avoid overplaying albums and as best avoid sources that did. So this still sounds great.

Yeah, this is key, and sometimes hard to avoid. Reminds me of "Disarm", one of my favorites when I first heard the album that completely changed on me after hearing it so much. Disliked it shortly after. Same as with "Tonight, Tonight" and "1979" but those are far worse. That also happened with RHCP's "Under the Bridge" from Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Loved the shit out of that album, and "Under the Bridge" really moved me until it was a single and then sounded totally different to me after that.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 9:37 AM, caze said:

I usually skip Disarm when listening to Siamese Dream now, probably liked it when I was a kid, but it doesn't really fit on the album.

the distorted version they played live sometimes is pretty good too, might've made more sense on the album. that said, i think the version recorded is v good and i enjoy it perfectly well as the fifth song

Hummer is the best song on Siamese anyway

I was obsessed back then.

Tonight, Tonight; Porcelina of the Vast Oceans, 1979, We Only Come Out at Night, Zero, etc. They made this work in Europe (reflected in the artwork), initially they planned another Siamese Dream but became a conceptual album instead, and the result is excellent.  They mixed shoegaze and acoustic, trip-hop and rock, dream pop, so many styles there; influenced a lot of artists like for example M83. What I love about Mellon Collie, is that you can listen it anytime and you'll feel a song that fits your mood.

Also I didn't remember that starts as it ends, this great album closes beautifully with Farewell And Goodnight.

Edited by Diurn
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Fuck been listening to shit I've listened back when I was a teen and damn, fun af... Cherub rock is such an amazon song... 

I'm also re listening to the Offspring's Smash lol bring on the hate...

Need to get back to NOFX as well... 

Yeah my musical tastes were awfull back then, but hey, they still are...

22 hours ago, _vow_of_silence_ said:

Fuck been listening to shit I've listened back when I was a teen and damn, fun af... Cherub rock is such an amazon song... 

I'm also re listening to the Offspring's Smash lol bring on the hate...

Need to get back to NOFX as well... 

Yeah my musical tastes were awfull back then, but hey, they still are...

Smash is a classic, as is Siamese Dream. Once the warmer weather arrives those old records sound brilliant on a sunny day with a few cold beers. Listened to .. And Out Come The Wolves the other day, another record that hits that particular spot  ? 

Edited by beerwolf

• 4 months later...

no Billy no! please stop this. 

https://consequence.net/2022/09/smashing-pumpkins-rock-opera-atum/

Get ready for a ton of new music from Smashing Pumpkins. The Billy Corgan-led outfit has announced a new 33-song rock opera called ATUM, which is billed as the sequel to 1995’s Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness and 2000’s Machina/Machine of God.

ATUM (pronounced “autumn”) will be unveiled over the course of three acts released 11 weeks apart. Act 1 will arrive on November 15th, with Act 2 following on January 31st and Act 3 coming on April 21st. A box set containing all three acts plus 10 additional bonus tracks will also be released on April 21st.

that preview song is absolute crap. I wrote guitar licks like that when I was like 14 and didn't know any better. the track titles are kinda hilarious in a way. it's like he knows he's peaked and is consciously trying to rip himself off. the mojo has left the building, Billy. 

Edited by zero
  • Burger 2

Mellon collie etc is the worst album name of all time. 

I was kind of into them from 91 ish but had lost interest entirely by the time siamese dream came out.  Corgan is truly insufferable prick.

Didn't he start doing really long solo modular gigs a few years back? Vaguely recall that being quite uninteresting.

I do still have a soft spot for Starla on the I am One 12"

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 3:15 PM, zero said:

no Billy no! please stop this. 

https://consequence.net/2022/09/smashing-pumpkins-rock-opera-atum/

Get ready for a ton of new music from Smashing Pumpkins. The Billy Corgan-led outfit has announced a new 33-song rock opera called ATUM, which is billed as the sequel to 1995’s Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness and 2000’s Machina/Machine of God.

ATUM (pronounced “autumn”) will be unveiled over the course of three acts released 11 weeks apart. Act 1 will arrive on November 15th, with Act 2 following on January 31st and Act 3 coming on April 21st. A box set containing all three acts plus 10 additional bonus tracks will also be released on April 21st.

that preview song is absolute crap. I wrote guitar licks like that when I was like 14 and didn't know any better. the track titles are kinda hilarious in a way. it's like he knows he's peaked and is consciously trying to rip himself off. the mojo has left the building, Billy. 

Hey wait a minute! We never even got the remaining volumes of Teargarden By Kelideyscope!  That was supposed to be a "44 song Concept album"

2 hours ago, perunamuusi said:

Mellon collie etc is the worst album name of all time. 

The Night Of The Ambush And The Pillage By The Queen Ann Styl'd Furniture, Animated By One Of The Dozen Or So Spells That Thee Eastern Vampyre Has Studied (T.N.O.T.A.A.T.P.B.T.Q.A.S.F.A.B.O.O.T.D.O.S.S.T.T.E.V.H.S)

2 hours ago, colunga said:

Hey wait a minute! We never even got the remaining volumes of Teargarden By Kelideyscope!  That was supposed to be a "44 song Concept album"

I forgot about that. 

there's a part of me that hates to bash Billy & the pumpkins, as I have such fond memories listening to them back in the early/mid '90s. but looking at everything he/they've done since then (and his massive ego) it's like what am I supposed to like about them now. I tried a few times with some of their stuff after Machina, and just can't get into it. a lot of it comes off as very uninspired. it would be awesome if they did put out something at the same quality of Gish/Siamese/Mellon, but at this point, I can't see it happening. and it's not just the Pumpkins, this happens to a lot of once great bands that have lost whatever it was that inspired them to create incredible music early on in their career.