oh come on, I didn't believe the "wmd myth" at the time it was being created (I marched against all those lying neocon cunts in SF), but the scene with Hans Blix is still comedy gold

Hans Briiix

haha, you're saying this to a guy who can't even watch Body of Lies without dissecting every form of propaganda it's employing and thinks Kathyrn Bigelow is this generation's Leni Riefenstahl

Mulholland Drive

wut/10

Anyone care to explain this movie for me? I feel like i sort of get the jist of the film but there are so many little things i can't explain

OK it's very simple.

The Guardian asked six well-known film critics for their own perceptions of the overall meaning in Mulholland Drive. Neil Roberts of The Sun and Tom Charity of Time Out subscribe to the theory that Betty is Diane's projection of a happier life. Roger Ebert and Jonathan Ross seem to accept this interpretation, but both hesitate to overanalyze the movie. Ebert states, "There is no explanation. There may not even be a mystery." Ross observes that there are storylines that go nowhere: "Perhaps these were leftovers from the pilot it was originally intended to be, or perhaps these things are the non-sequiturs and subconscious of dreams."[19]Philip French from The Observer sees it as an allusion to Hollywood tragedy, while Jane Douglas from the BBC rejects the theory of Betty's life as Diane's dream, but also warns against too much analysis.[19]

This interpretation was similar to what Naomi Watts construed, when she said in an interview, "I thought Diane was the real character and that Betty was the person she wanted to be and had dreamed up. Rita is the damsel in distress and she's in absolute need of Betty, and Betty controls her as if she were a doll. Rita is Betty's fantasy of who she wants Camilla to be."[14] Watts' own early experiences in Hollywood parallel those of Diane's. She endured some professional frustration before she became successful, auditioned for parts in which she did not believe, and encountered people who did not follow through with opportunities. She recalled, "There were a lot of promises, but nothing actually came off. I ran out of money and became quite lonely."[18]

Edited by Squee

sorry to be a political cunt, but Team America is pretty decent but watched it recently and it has aged very poorly. The part where they show Hans Blix just makes me cringe, as if the south park boys actually believed in the whole WMd myth for iraq.

well so did most of the US at the time!

When you see that footage Michael Moore making an ass of himself at the Oscars to a cringing star studded audience you realize now that he was totally correct and TA had these pussies down for what they really are.

Mulholland Drive

wut/10

Anyone care to explain this movie for me? I feel like i sort of get the jist of the film but there are so many little things i can't explain

I'll see if I can find a superb essay that helped clarify a lot of bits in Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive & INLAND EMPIRE that previously eluded me (I'd got a bulk of it - well, my interpretation anyway. The beauty of his stuff is there really is no right or wrong reading !). I think I've got a solid enough explanation anyway, it seems to tie up a lot of the pieces.

TA definitely pegged Alec Baldwin for what he really is, when I first watched it I thought "Alec Baldwin as the villain, that's a bit random", but now it makes perfect sense.

Which makes you wonder if Matt Damon is truly retarded.

Mulholland Drive

wut/10

I'll see if I can find a superb essay that helped clarify a lot of bits in Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive & INLAND EMPIRE that previously eluded me (I'd got a bulk of it - well, my interpretation anyway. The beauty of his stuff is there really is no right or wrong reading !). I think I've got a solid enough explanation anyway, it seems to tie up a lot of the pieces.

Ooh yes yes!

I think this is it - I've just spent the last half an hour crawling the webs and this seems to ring a bell. It's focussed on INLAND EMPIRE but ties in the other two films I mentioned

Caution - Here be spoilers ! : http://metaphilm.com/index.php/detail/reading-inland-empire/

N.B. This is just one personal reading of the film(s), but shares my own interpretation of them too

Mulholland Drive

wut/10

OK it's very simple.

The Guardian asked six well-known film critics for their own perceptions of the overall meaning in Mulholland Drive. Neil Roberts of The Sun and Tom Charity of Time Out subscribe to the theory that Betty is Diane's projection of a happier life. Roger Ebert and Jonathan Ross seem to accept this interpretation, but both hesitate to overanalyze the movie. Ebert states, "There is no explanation. There may not even be a mystery." Ross observes that there are storylines that go nowhere: "Perhaps these were leftovers from the pilot it was originally intended to be, or perhaps these things are the non-sequiturs and subconscious of dreams."[19]Philip French from The Observer sees it as an allusion to Hollywood tragedy, while Jane Douglas from the BBC rejects the theory of Betty's life as Diane's dream, but also warns against too much analysis.[19]

This interpretation was similar to what Naomi Watts construed, when she said in an interview, "I thought Diane was the real character and that Betty was the person she wanted to be and had dreamed up. Rita is the damsel in distress and she's in absolute need of Betty, and Betty controls her as if she were a doll. Rita is Betty's fantasy of who she wants Camilla to be."[14] Watts' own early experiences in Hollywood parallel those of Diane's. She endured some professional frustration before she became successful, auditioned for parts in which she did not believe, and encountered people who did not follow through with opportunities. She recalled, "There were a lot of promises, but nothing actually came off. I ran out of money and became quite lonely."[18]

Thanks, i actually read that article before posting and all i got from it was that all the critics were like "i dont get it... but it was really good." I knew it was a meant to be for at first but why did Noami Watts act so horribly during the majority of the movie, it was deliberately bad.

Edited by Squee

why did Noami Watts act so horribly during the majority of the movie, it was deliberately bad.

Crack that and you've cracked the bulk of the film - compare and contrast the sections and her persona/behaviour before and after the cowboy saying - "Hey, pretty girl, time to wake up"

EDIT: (for my reading of the film anyway)

I think this is it - I've just spent the last half an hour crawling the webs and this seems to ring a bell. It's focussed on INLAND EMPIRE but ties in the other two films I mentioned

Caution - Here be spoilers ! : http://metaphilm.com/index.php/detail/reading-inland-empire/

N.B. This is just one personal reading of the film(s), but shares my own interpretation of them too

Bookmarked, cheers.

I feel very confident with Mullholland Drive's internal logic by now but Inland Empire is another type of beast entirely.

I've endured/enjoyed it around five times since seeing it in the cinema upon it's release (It was a late showing and I was drifting in and out of drunken sleep 3/4 of the way through) and I still feel it hasn't fully opened up to me yet.

why did Noami Watts act so horribly during the majority of the movie, it was deliberately bad.

Crack that and you've cracked the bulk of the film - compare and contrast the sections and her persona/behaviour before and after the cowboy saying - "Hey, pretty girl, time to wake up"

EDIT: (for my reading of the film anyway)

Betty's dream is "the american dream" after all, that's why all the dream sequences look really bad acted on purpose, like performances right out of a DALLAS episode or something...

Edited by Squee

sorry to be a political cunt, but Team America is pretty decent but watched it recently and it has aged very poorly. The part where they show Hans Blix just makes me cringe, as if the south park boys actually believed in the whole WMd myth for iraq.

It couldn't watch that movie. The concept pissed me off more than it was worth hoping for the possibility of comedy (which was too dry a parody anyway). I think i got 5 minutes in then skimmed then deleted angrily.

I'm guessing as their sister channel ABC did quite well back in the day with Twin Peaks they wanted to try and re-live some of the magic (/ratings)

Martha Marcy May Marlene 7/10

I found this really really depressing. I also found it hard to relate to the main character as there was not really much to go on in terms of characterisation. The structure was quite random and it all felt quite disorientating (perhaps what the director was going for). This made the film overall hard to process.

This film reminds me a lot of Fishtank with it's meandering style and hard to fathom female lead. I think it would have been more hardhitting if we got to know something about her character before the trauma. And perhaps if the whole thing didn't seem so random and the lead was active rather than passive.

Edited by MadameChaos

A Field in England - 9/10. Psychedelic, unusual, funny, great score, and it leaves you thinking and wanting a rewatch. Top film.

Also on this wagon.

Beautifully shot, loved the dialogue

imdb reviewers really don't like it. I haven't seen this much hate in a long ever. Normally i read the reviews there for the outlier opinion that brings clarity to the subject. For this film this isn't the case, everyone thinks it's an arthouse fuckwank. Well they appreciate the acting and the tent that's it.

A Field in England - 9/10. Psychedelic, unusual, funny, great score, and it leaves you thinking and wanting a rewatch. Top film.

Also on this wagon.

imdb reviewers really don't like it. I haven't seen this much hate in a long ever. Normally i read the reviews there for the outlier opinion that brings clarity to the subject. For this film this isn't the case, everyone thinks it's an arthouse fuckwank. Well they appreciate the acting and the tent that's it.

it totally is but that's what I had in my mind going into it.

Also on this wagon.

it totally is but that's what I had in my mind going into it.

you haven't seen a movie if you haven't seen A FIELD IN ENGLAND, and that's about it...

it's the IDM of film, not joking, the edit techniques sound/look just like da idmzzzzz

Another musing about Mulholland Dr. It started as a TV pilot for NBC... Why the FUCK would NBC be interested in airing something made by David Lynch?

dallas...