IGNORED

Sony Expected To Unveil The Next Playstation Tomorrow

Joyrex

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know. I watched it in 720p. And I'm definitely not blind. Also, I just said that it looked 'alright', not 'like total garbage'.

When he snuck up on that dude threatening the woman with a knife, for example. How could he not see that weird guy with the trenchcoat and a gun in his hand crawling towards them?! He was right there out in the open. Total Assassin's Creed moment,. Might be for gameplay reasons or whatever, but it just seems really stupid and completely takes me out of the experience.

I don't buy the whole alpha/beta thing. Developers love to smack that on to every single screenshot and video they put out there, even a few weeks before release. If the running animation improves before release, good. If not, lol.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much of these super fancy machines that's been eight years underway.

You're forgetting what ps3 games looked like when the ps3 was new. The best ps4 graphics in a couple of years will make all these games look like shit.

Nah, I think it has something to do with the jump from SD to HD. Quite a difference there. What we have here is a jump from HD to slightly better HD.

That new Killzone is pretty impressive looking and seems like a pretty huge step from what we have now. At least on consoles. Too bad the game itself is the same old.

I'm sure the new killzone is just a prerendered video, like the killzone game they showed at the ps3 announcement.

I'm sure the new killzone is just a prerendered video, like the killzone game they showed at the ps3 announcement.

It looked like actual gameplay judging by the way the "camera" was moving around. In the Killzone 2 CGi trailer everything was moving way too smoothly. The camera never stopped moving like it would if you leave the analog controllers alone. In the Killzone Shadow-whatever-something-something gameplay teaser the camera actually stopped at one point.

If they did the pre rendered thing again like they did with the Killzone 2 "gameplay" video that will probably shoot them in the foot big time. That video was a fucking farce

I rewatched it, looks like real gameplay. Are all these PS4 announcement videos full of terrible compression artifacts for you guys as well or is it the connection at my workplace?

So far the games announced that peak my interest are...

Beyond: Two Souls (The new Quantic Dream title on the engine that the "Kara" demo was displaying)

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes ,Though I really hope they tone down the cut scene lengths a bit, MGS4 was almost a movie you occasionally played.

Watch Dogs looks pretty sweet, as Squee mentioned the Assasin's Creed elements without all the templar bullshit set in a modern world... sounds good to me

The Last Guardian, despite not knowing much, it's Team ICO that alone makes it worth checking out.

Killzone 4 looks pretty good to me, I'm sure there's plenty of gritty looking levels later into the game as well that aren't so bright and clean looking.

This is all interesting, because it'll hopefully mean PC gamers will get more games that had previously been console only, and we should hopefully get better quality 'ports' (I say ports, but in this case they won't need to be ported very much - the architecture is exactly the same).

the 8GB RAM thing is being blown out of proportion by many people though...so many seem to be under the assumption that it's all for the graphics card, which firstly is not true, and secondly would be extreme overkill for a console (a large amount of graphics RAM is only really useful if you're running crazy resolutions, or multiple monitors). That being said, 8GB graphics RAM would definitely be useful for 4K televisions, but they're a long way from being viable for the consumer. The vast majority of console gamers will still be using 1080p HD for years to come.

Also, lots of people are mistaken / misled by false advertising that the system will 'download and upload content while the system is powered off'. Nope.avi, the system isn't powered off it's in standby. I guess basic physics has been forgotten by a lot of people.

All in all though, I'm actually looking forward to this next generation of consoles, even though I won't be buying one. I'll benefit greatly from the development of games to come (since they'll be based on the exact same architecture), and console gamers will benefit from the undoubtedly better hardware involved.

win win situation for all.

Geez, the amount of wet blankets in this thread makes me want to get out the washline and clothespins!

I, for one, was very impressed with what was shown - none of it prerendered, and the amount of detail in everything (especially the textures close up) was amazing - far beyond what we currently get with games on this generation of consoles.

Interestingly enough, the screenshots are well beyond 1080P - can PS4 games run beyond 1080P?

I wouldn't judge any of this by compressed video either - screen captures really allow you to see the amount of detail in these games:

original.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpgNow, after seeing those at full size, tell me those aren't impressive compared to the current gen of games.

One thing that is concerning me is the statement that PSN content as well as game saves won't transfer over to the PS3 - really sounds like they're not going to push the backwards compatibility and therefore we'll all have to hang onto our PS3s for awhile longer until they say something about what role GaiKai plays in all that.

I don't know. I watched it in 720p. And I'm definitely not blind. Also, I just said that it looked 'alright', not 'like total garbage'.

When he snuck up on that dude threatening the woman with a knife, for example. How could he not see that weird guy with the trenchcoat and a gun in his hand crawling towards them?! He was right there out in the open. Total Assassin's Creed moment,. Might be for gameplay reasons or whatever, but it just seems really stupid and completely takes me out of the experience.

I don't buy the whole alpha/beta thing. Developers love to smack that on to every single screenshot and video they put out there, even a few weeks before release. If the running animation improves before release, good. If not, lol.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much of these super fancy machines that's been eight years underway.

perfect-dark-zero.jpg

resistance-fall-of-man-screenshots-20061

vs.

crysis3_libertdome.png

image_killzone_shadow_fall-21469-2660_00

izZWw9j6v7tvJ.gif

D7jZWu8.jpg

next gen is gonna look amazing

Yup, hopefully they've sorted out the aliasing and screen tearing issues by this gen, if not I'm going to shit down somebody's neck.

Watch dogs looked petty interesting.

Rest of it was meh couldn't give a hoot about sharing my games with the friends I don't have on psn. And this whole internet based system they are pushing, not everyone has mega fast connections and some will have data limts, so they have isolated that market.

Interestingly enough, the screenshots are well beyond 1080P - can PS4 games run beyond 1080P?

Nope.

"The PS4 will be able to output visuals at a 4k resolution for media, but not games, Sony said during a roundtable today."

Nope.

"The PS4 will be able to output visuals at a 4k resolution for media, but not games, Sony said during a roundtable today."

interesting...

Nope.

interesting...

That begs the question then - how did those screenshots get to be larger than they should be, and why? Surely if they were enlarged from the (assumed) 1080P, we'd see some artifacting and pixel doubling...

Nope.

interesting...

That begs the question then - how did those screenshots get to be larger than they should be, and why? Surely if they were enlarged from the (assumed) 1080P, we'd see some artifacting and pixel doubling...

because the base system is a PC, and the graphics card will be technically capable of outputting higher than 1920x1080 res.

it's just interesting that

1) they are restricting the games to being a maximum of 1080p

and

2) that they are releasing screenshots (clearly for promotional purposes) that are misleading...

Nope.

interesting...

because the base system is a PC, and the graphics card will be technically capable of outputting higher than 1920x1080 res.

and

2) that they are releasing screenshots (clearly for promotional purposes) that are misleading...

So the assumption here is what we saw yesterday was running on either a PS4 dev system (a glorified PC), or a bog-standard PC, and so despite the game being (assumed) coded to run at 1080P (dunno if games these days can run at a higher display resolution despite the assets being created for a set resolution without loss of quality), they're pumping out screenshots at a higher resolution than what the game can actually deliver on the final hardware?

Nope.

interesting...

and

So the assumption here is what we saw yesterday was running on either a PS4 dev system (a glorified PC), or a bog-standard PC, and so despite the game being (assumed) coded to run at 1080P (dunno if games these days can run at a higher display resolution despite the assets being created for a set resolution without loss of quality), they're pumping out screenshots at a higher resolution than what the game can actually deliver on the final hardware?

I think I mis-spoke, I don't think that the games themselves are being restricted (as in, they're being coded so they can't output higher than 1920x180). I think that Sony will be restricting the graphics card output on the consumer version so that games are restricted.

but it is entirely plausible that the demonstrations were being done on a PC. it wouldn't be the first time that they've lied, and it won't be the last.

doubt that even current high-end gfx cards could output 4k (which is roughly x4 pixels than the 1080p) with modern games, chances are that ps4 is sporting something analogous to hd7870.

ps3 came out in late 2006 and has something akin to 7800gtx, when 8800s were already out by that time.

Archived