IGNORED

Sony To Start Pressing Vinyl Again After 30 Years

Joyrex

As reported by NPR, Sony is going to start pressing vinyl again!

Sony Music is preparing to make its own vinyl records again in Japan, in another sign that albums are back from the brink of being obsolete. The company says it's installing record-cutting equipment and enlisting the help of older engineers who know how to reproduce the best sound.

Vinyl sales have seen a resurgence since around 2008. And while records are still a small part of the market, the fact that in 2016 "a format nearly a century old generated 3.6 percent of total global revenues is remarkable," as NPR's Andrew Flanagan has reported.

Years of double-digit growth in record sales have left vinyl press plants in the U.S., Japan, and elsewhere struggling to meet demand. Sony's plan reportedly includes the possibility that it will press records on contract.

Does that mean they can press their shitty Record Store Day releases with clogging up the regular pressing plants \o/ ?

Genau.

This is awesome. Imagine if record stores started becoming relevant again. Streaming music is fast and easy and all, but it lacks the soul and tangibility of physical media. Also I don't care what anyone says, CDs are still cool.

Here's to hoping the resurgance continues and thrives into a phenomenon that carries the torch that the y2k / digital revolution burnt out.

This is awesome. Imagine if record stores started becoming relevant again. Streaming music is fast and easy and all, but it lacks the soul and tangibility of physical media. Also I don't care what anyone says, CDs are still cool.

Here's to hoping the resurgance continues and thrives into a phenomenon that carries the torch that the y2k / digital revolution burnt out.

Record stores aren't completely defunct here in the UK, but there is a considerably smaller amount of em. It tends to be more of a city thing nowadays.

I'd love to see them seep back into smaller towns, though. It won't happen but a man can dream.

Does that mean they can press their shitty Record Store Day releases with clogging up the regular pressing plants \o/ ?

Genau.

Super spitze toll!

yep

I hope they start doing cassettes again too for that matter. "Cassette Store Day" had the same effect. Lot of DIY labels went from finding tapes as a easy and quick format to put out music on to dealing with wait times because bigger indie labels are cranking out cassettes as an option. (Though I admit I bought the Cheetah EP on tape)

CDs are still cool.

CDs are cool.

CDs have always been cool.

A0VHuLpwWNwmDKjJYEgymwJ5-L8u4Q4JgR9U38Sd

I really hope this helps alleviate the multi-month backlogs that happen prior to and after Record Store Day. Fucking chaos, for shitty reissues of shit that has a slightly different colourway.

I really hope this helps alleviate the multi-month backlogs that happen prior to and after Record Store Day. Fucking chaos, for shitty reissues of shit that has a slightly different colourway.

Genau.

How far off are we from being able to 3d print or home lathe our own records using a bio-plastic made from lawn clippings?

Something has to replace vinyl (that is functionally the same) sooner rather than later, and I've seen people 3d print records, it's just the resolution hasn't caught up yet and the fidelity is pretty bad.

How far off are we from being able to 3d print or home lathe our own records using a bio-plastic made from lawn clippings? print records, it's just the resolution hasn't caught up yet and the fidelity is pretty bad.

Probably not that that far, this was the state of play five years ago:

Genau.

Super spitze toll!

yep

I hope they start doing cassettes again too for that matter. "Cassette Store Day" had the same effect. Lot of DIY labels went from finding tapes as a easy and quick format to put out music on to dealing with wait times because bigger indie labels are cranking out cassettes as an option. (Though I admit I bought the Cheetah EP on tape)

CDs are still cool.

CDs are cool.

New Com Truise album, Iteration is on cassette

Genau.

Super spitze toll!

yep

CDs are still cool.

CDs are cool.

lol, and yeah they never became uncool for me either :) in fact i just went through my lifelong collection of cds the other day and organized everything. i was pretty down when i realized some sort of brown sticky stuff (maybe spilled soda) got all over the bottom of about 20 of some of my favorite store-bought cds from years ago.. thought id have to throw them away until i tried running them under hot water, and they miraculously cleaned off super quickly. my faith in cds renewed. 

Genau.

Super spitze toll!

yep

CDs are still cool.

CDs are cool.

New Com Truise album, Iteration is on cassette

nice! i imagine that will sound warm and tasty. 

CD's are still relevant for me since my car stereo doesn't have an audio in jack.

One thing with the resurgence of vinyl is that the artwork is front and center again. That's one of the things I loved when I was a kid.

CD's are still relevant for me since my car stereo doesn't have an audio in jack.

One thing with the resurgence of vinyl is that the artwork is front and center again. That's one of the things I loved when I was a kid.

Loads of oem car stereos are incredibly easy to hack an aux cable into, as they were manufactured with the capability so dealers could add it as an optional extra. I did my sisters honda and my audi for next to no cash (you can find everything you need on aliexpress). Definitely worth googling your car stereo and seeing if someone has already figured it out

Loads of oem car stereos are incredibly easy to hack an aux cable into, as they were manufactured with the capability so dealers could add it as an optional extra. I did my sisters honda and my audi for next to no cash (you can find everything you need on aliexpress). Definitely worth googling your car stereo and seeing if someone has already figured it out

Thanks! I looked into it and a lot of the kits for my car require a satellite radio button, which my model lacks. I may have to install one of those devices that hijacks the radio signal. I've never been impressed with the fidelity with those things. Guess I'll keep searching.

Archived