IGNORED

Autechre - Webcast #4 (downloads here)

Guest jasondonervan

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a quick compare across a few tracks, and to these ears both sets of files sound identical. Either ones will do! File sizes are marginally different due to:

1) I edited out the silence at the start of each broadcast,

2) I embedded the white Exai-ish image into each file.

And if it helps, from the hours of listening back I've already done on my files, I've not come across a single dropout in the audio. RTMPDump certainly got the job done.

It's a really petty question especially given how much work you've gone into with a) Finding out how to rip the stream 2) Recording the stream for the 20+ hours and d) Uploading them both for all to hear ... and I would actually prefer to use your files given that the silences have been trimmed but was wondering how you did point 1) - Did you rip the stream, then cut the start of it, and then save as 128kbps again or did you manage to use some lossless tool like mp3splice to trim the file without having to transcode it ?

RTMPDump picked up and saved the streams as an .flv file. I used Audacity to trim the silence (fully zoomed waveform edit), then exported to 128 kbps stereo mp3. The .flv and respective mp3 files are around the same size, with the mp3s slightly smaller due to around a minute or so of silence trimmed off in each case.

Just some info: You can avoid the transcode. The flv is just a container file (like mkv) which contains a 128kb mp3 file. You can use a demuxer to retrieve the mp3 and use something like mp3split to cut off the silence without a re-encode.

Thanks for setting up the Google doc and thanks to all the knowledgeable people for the tracklisting!

yeah i was just about to say, you did give everyone a transcode by doing so (right?)

also the doc is still broken :(

The track @ 11.00 in the second webcast, before Public Enemy is Holger Hiller - Liebe Beambte Und Beambten (from the Oben Im Eck album). Don't know if that one was posted already but it isn't in the doc (that seems a bit fked up)

The track @ 11.00 in the second webcast, before Public Enemy is Holger Hiller - Liebe Beambte Und Beambten (from the Oben Im Eck album). Don't know if that one was posted already but it isn't in the doc (that seems a bit fked up)

And now with less idiotic dutch-german spelling and right album credits: Holger - Hiller Liebe Beamtinnen und Beamte, from the Ein Bündel Fäulnis In Der Grube album.

yeah i was just about to say, you did give everyone a transcode by doing so (right?)

The version AE provided in the Downloads subforum is straight MP3, no transcode (as far as I am aware).

The version AE provided in the Downloads subforum is straight MP3, no transcode (as far as I am aware).

i'm talking about jason's rip as Ego pointed out

he imported and edited it in Audacity, and then exported it back to mp3 making it a transcode

sorry for not being clear bout that

Guest jasondonervan

OK, so I've demuxed the .flv files to .mp3 using FLVExtract. I've used mp3splt-gtk to remove the offending silence at the beginning of each stream:

Stream 1:

F5fxvqm.jpg

Stream 2:

X7M6FSP.jpg

Runtimes are identical to my previous files.

To identify these files, ID tagging in the comments of each file show:

A Jasondonervan joint
Stream capture: RTMPDump
File demux: FLVExtract
Leading silence removal: mp3splt-gtk

I'm uploading them now, the new links/info will be added to the googledocs (whatever's left of it), any mods watching, I'd really appreciate if you could update the links in the first post in this thread to the new ones, which I'll post here shortly.

My apologies for not getting this right first time, don't forget that Joyrex's files direct from the source are just as valid, I just wanted to make sure nobody was being mis-led by mine.

And hats off to Ego for his sage-like advice yet again.

Nice - definitely worth doing right! I'd be interested in comparing your recording/extract against the one given to JR, as the latter is not without its idiosyncrasies - I'll hide my ocd observations in a spoiler tag for the courtesy of the few non-ocd people here:

According to encspot (and confirmed with foobar's file integrity verifier) each of the two files has something like 120+ mpeg stream sync errors. None of them are particularly offensive (no major audio dropouts or hitches), and depending on the player used you might not even notice them. I'd speculate that these mp3s could very well just be in-house captures of the performance by someone at mixlr, since an "original" mp3 would very rarely have this sort of signature (even a 10 hour one) and by the sheer number of them they wouldn't arise simply through the uploading/downloading of the files.

I was able to "fix" the sync errors using mp3val, however all this really does is stitch the stream back together at the seams; makes the files playable in foobar but not much else quality wise (what were glitches become stitches). Anyway I'd be keen to see if jason's capture has or doesn't have them - hopefully the latter!

I've noticed a few compression artifacts in the official download, typical mp3 glitch noises and a few hitches (only really apparent with close listening on my HD-650s). Nothing big, but they are there. I've been having internet connection issues (grr Uverse grr) so I wasn't sure if my DL had been corrupted.

Of course, even if the glitches are there for everyone, the massive amount of fun and Ae generosity over 20 hours isn't diminished in the slightest bit!

Guest jasondonervan

Nice - definitely worth doing right! I'd be interested in comparing your recording/extract against the one given to JR, as the latter is not without its idiosyncrasies - I'll hide my ocd observations in a spoiler tag for the courtesy of the few non-ocd people here:

According to encspot (and confirmed with foobar's file integrity verifier) each of the two files has something like 120+ mpeg stream sync errors. None of them are particularly offensive (no major audio dropouts or hitches), and depending on the player used you might not even notice them. I'd speculate that these mp3s could very well just be in-house captures of the performance by someone at mixlr, since an "original" mp3 would very rarely have this sort of signature (even a 10 hour one) and by the sheer number of them they wouldn't arise simply through the uploading/downloading of the files.

I was able to "fix" the sync errors using mp3val, however all this really does is stitch the stream back together at the seams; makes the files playable in foobar but not much else quality wise (what were glitches become stitches). Anyway I'd be keen to see if jason's capture has or doesn't have them - hopefully the latter!

Interesting, compare away and let us OCD folk know the results!

Man - you just get better and better. And don't apologise - you really weren't to know about the bizarre world of the transcode !

Updating the first post now ...

I wouldn't be surprised - according to Sean, these are from Mixlr's archive feature, so it was basically recording it as they streamed the audio in during the performance/broadcast.

Yeah, I too noticed a few pops in the 'official' links - foobar2000 even stopped at one point (about 90 mins into the first one) and moaned about it being corrupted so I had to skip over a segment. The second official one claimed to be 2 minutes longer than it actually was and the player just goes a bit mental at that point and skips to the end. So going back to jasondonervan's new ones as the files of choice !

Guest jasondonervan

Man - you just get better and better. And don't apologise - you really weren't to know about the bizarre world of the transcode !

Updating the first post now ...

Cheers mate, and thanks for updating the OP. I've updated the googledocs spreadsheet as well, so whoever stumbles in over there will be able to get them too.

You only seem to mention Sean, Joyrex. Are you implying that Rob does not care about us? :sad:

No, not at all - I've just only communicated with Sean (so far). He's here, watching you all :emotawesomepm9:

great, now every time i post it's just gonna be i wonder what sean thinks of this post. has he read my oversteps review? is he into me, like does he think i'm cool and funny and possibly does he want to pm me and get together next time he comes to chicago nothing serious just maybe smoke a spliff and listen to some music and talk and stuff and we exchange emails and every now and then i'll get a youtube link from him to which i'll respond with shit like "mental," "wicked," "lush" and so on and i'll be like "can't believe i just said lush to sean booth" and then i'll be sitting there wondering what rob is up to so i'll just shoot him an email as well and make jokes about how he does all the lush pads and sean does beats and be like "have you heard this one record " and he'll be like "fuckin hell mate, that's mental. gotta show rob.” and ill be like "you're rob" and he'll go "lol. i mean sean." and just as a joke i'll reference stuff like eps samplers or whatever.

thanks joyrex.

Lmfao oh god that's the funniest shit I've read in ages, and I spend a lot of time on Reddit these days.

dawGz, from what i recall i wasn't awake for the full set but it was still playin when i got up for work. Look forward to havin another listen minus my sleep n shit.

man this second webcast is so nice. the first one was way more electro and the 2nd is much more hip hop. I'm wondering if they each took one. if so, I'd guess rob had more to do with the second one?

both are good but the 2nd one is right in my wheelhouse.

Interesting, compare away and let us OCD folk know the results!

Great job J-Don, your rip is as clean as Stoya's whistle! :whistling: These are the ones you want folks. Hi fives all around (followed by hand sanitizer)

0uYBUMO.jpg

Archived