IGNORED

stupid first world achievements and successes

eugene

32 minutes ago, Limo said:

It works like this in the Netherlands as well, but I work as a teacher so, you know, not really possible.

That's cool, I don't think it's pan-European, though. My better half is also a teacher, so yeah, I know.

On 6/22/2023 at 6:15 AM, beerwolf said:

Recently I’ve been suspended from work for 5 weeks for suspected gross misconduct. 

did they catch you lurking over at twoism? ??

seriously, that sucks man. company politics I'm sure. I really hate that shit. bunch of ego maniacs. fuck em

On 6/22/2023 at 10:05 PM, Limo said:

It works like this in the Netherlands as well, but I work as a teacher so, you know, not really possible.

I think you can get compensated with cash? I work 40hrs and get paid 36hrs for these vacations, so I'd be pissed off otherwise. I got sick with corona during Xmas vacation and i reported it anyway.

What do you teach btw? Teacher here as well, for HBO Rechten (law students) ? 

16 minutes ago, Berk said:

I think you can get compensated with cash? I work 40hrs and get paid 36hrs for these vacations, so I'd be pissed off otherwise. I got sick with corona during Xmas vacation and i reported it anyway.

What do you teach btw? Teacher here as well, for HBO Rechten (law students) ? 

Another Dutch teacher reporting, but I never used this right nor do I know anyone who ever did. Will have to dive into this :^) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Herr Jan said:

Another Dutch teacher reporting, but I never used this right nor do I know anyone who ever did. Will have to dive into this :^) 

Is the idealised image of teachers having student vacations all year long true ?

19 minutes ago, Wunderbar said:

Is the idealised image of teachers having student vacations all year long true ?

Imo it depends. I spent one vacation basically developing the curriculum and working on logistics, while also following a required course about didactics.

I've never had a proper weekend off the last couple of months. But halfway July, i can unwind for about 5 weeks so I'm good. Looking forward lol

14 minutes ago, Wunderbar said:

You can just chill out for 3 months ?

During summer vacation you don't need to worry about anything work related. It's awesome. Totally different than when i was working as a court clerk. Back then when i got back from two weeks (at the most) of vacation my desk was loaded with case files piling up. During vacation i was never able to properly let go thinking about the cases i was still working on. But here, when summer's around the corner you can just let go when you're done. There's simply nothing to do for a while and after summer holidays you basically start with a clean slate.

Easiest life of my life would recommend 10/10

5 minutes ago, Berk said:

I've never had a proper weekend off the last couple of months.

I'm taking 2 weeks off in about 3 weeks and it'll be the first time in 8 years I take time off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berk said:

What do you teach btw? Teacher here as well, for HBO Rechten (law students)

We’re everywhere. Teachers, that is. I teach HBO ICT myself. We share a building with HBO Rechten, btw.

1 hour ago, Herr Jan said:

Another Dutch teacher reporting

Also hi!

• Thanks 1

One positive thing about teaching i assume is that you feel like you are doing something positive with your life?

I  work for this company that has some big polluters as clients, makes me sad thinking about that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wunderbar said:

You can just chill out for 3 months ?

It's a holiday every 8-10 weeks or so for me. Summer break is 6 weeks, christmas and spring break are both 2 weeks, plus two 1-week holidays too. Then those 5 optional free days on top of that.

Disclaimer: conveniently not mentioning all the overtime during a regular week. Loads of evenings and weekends lost that way. Still recommended.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ivan Ooze said:

Me watching some happu dutch teachers in a friggin idm forum while i work 5 shifts in an assbestos sauna and get 4 weeks off a year 

dfa.jpg

You should immigrate and steal their jobs.

• Haha 1
  • Big Brain 2

12 hours ago, Wunderbar said:

One positive thing about teaching i assume is that you feel like you are doing something positive with your life?

Yes.

Although most of my students will go on to spend their lives building needlessly complicated CRUD applications for use by marketing companies, I tell myself that at least some of them will do something useful with the skills I teach them. I’m not sure this has already happened but one can always hope.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a custom coin at work today directly from the chief director. It was basically a micro plaque with a hole inside of it that allows it to be used as a bottle opener. It's the first time I received official commendation at work for acting as an unofficial ambassador for visiting JASDF air crews during an annual joint military exercise.

But yeah. Me good boi, me get prize.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, randomsummer said:

Just submitted a paper for peer-review and hopefully publication.

Congratulations!! I think papers submissions are always incredibly tiring and stressful. Out of curiosity, in which field do you work ??

• Like 1